*sigh* IMFD help anyone?

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I kinda hate myself, cause I cant figure this out. Somehow I managed to transfer to mars successfully before using IMFD .. but now I cant seem to do it anymore, for another scenario.

Now please bear with be -- It's not realistic and I dont even want to play this scenario completely.. I just hate it when I dont know how something works.

I have a long range vessel in stable earth orbit. Now, I want to transfer to Uranus. I know that there are start windows, but let's assume fuel is basically unlimited and I want to do a TUI (!?) asap.

What steps need to be done? So far I believed, IMDF was pretty straight forward there. Course -> Target Uranus -> 2nd IMFD in share mode, orbit eject .. and autoburn.

It looked goo in the beginning... but all the sudden (orbit extending greatly in what looked like a later uranus target)- but at about 30M from earth) IMFD AB decided it better turns around "180°" and keep burning. This actually crashed my Deepstar on Earth with such a velocity that it bounced me in a broken spin somewhere out ....

Now, can someone help me here with what steps need to be done to make this ejection (and the TUI) work? I dont need a detailed explanation as I used IMFD before .. but I think i'm missing some step here...

any help appreciated, thx.

-----Posted Added-----

i might have figured it out... Mode for eject should probably not be set to realtime but off-axis (prograde not available anymore, right?)

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score

yes, thanks... i just found that again (one of x tutorials i've downloaded -- i even noticed screenshots are updated to IMFD 5.1 - nice :)

however, now i have another completely new problem .... i dont know where this belongs:

using deepstar 2.0 -- but the IMFD Auto-Burn (AB) doesnt work. There is just no effect. Im starting from the TransX scenarios tho does this matter?

(I have the IMFD scenarios for Deepstar, however launching there is too simple as everything is set up..)

What possible reasons are there that AB button has no effect, any ideas?

mjanicki

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here's a post I made back over at the old Orbiter forum when I was making the Deepstar IMFD scenarios.

Alain, I figured out why IMFD autoburn wasn't engaging with Deepstar. In case anyone else runs into the problem here's what I found while creating IMFD scenarios for Deepstar.

Quite a few of the provided scenarios have a non-zero THLEVEL entry for the hover thrusters. The values are small enough that they don't register in the HUD so I didn't notice that hover engines were enabled. IMFD won't engage autoburn when the vessel reports thrust being applied manually. Since I started the IMFD scenarios from the TransX Jupiter scenario my scenarios also had non-zero THLEVEL. Removing those entries from the scenario files cleared up the problem.

That was the problem I noticed with the default TransX scenarios so if you're loading Deepstar from one of the default scenarios then that's likely the problem. True, Deepstar has no hover engines, but I don't think IMFD checks if there are such engines, only if they report as being engaged. With the IMFD scenarios I made, hopefully I remembered to make sure that problem didn't occur.

-- Mike

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Here's a post I made back over at the old Orbiter forum when I was making the Deepstar IMFD scenarios.

Alain, I figured out why IMFD autoburn wasn't engaging with Deepstar. In case anyone else runs into the problem here's what I found while creating IMFD scenarios for Deepstar.

Quite a few of the provided scenarios have a non-zero THLEVEL entry for the hover thrusters. The values are small enough that they don't register in the HUD so I didn't notice that hover engines were enabled. IMFD won't engage autoburn when the vessel reports thrust being applied manually. Since I started the IMFD scenarios from the TransX Jupiter scenario my scenarios also had non-zero THLEVEL. Removing those entries from the scenario files cleared up the problem.

That was the problem I noticed with the default TransX scenarios so if you're loading Deepstar from one of the default scenarios then that's likely the problem. True, Deepstar has no hover engines, but I don't think IMFD checks if there are such engines, only if they report as being engaged. With the IMFD scenarios I made, hopefully I remembered to make sure that problem didn't occur.

-- Mike

Ahh, thank you, very helpful. Indeed, with the IMFD scenarios I had no problem. Not a big problem then, I know how to start. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss anythning stupid when AB didn't work