Sandra Bullock in space (still from Gravity)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Dang... was that a parachute flapping on orbit? God help us, here come the conspiricy nuts...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I do recall hearing that the interior of Mir was very hot (and noisy)

Noisy yes. Like 80 dB constantly, it's just like if you camp right next to a busy highway. And the ISS is noisy too, at least in some sections. It's really difficult to fix that issue on any spacecrafts (a desktop PC with a few quiet fans already produces a good 20 dB).

"Very hot" no. There have been cooling system leaks and failures that caused the temperature to rise sometimes, yes, but they were repaired. "Soviet space uniform" was, AFAIK, a full jogging suit (long sleeves) with socks. Actually, the astronauts/cosmonauts aboard the ISS seem less covered, often wearing T-shirts.

Dang... was that a parachute flapping on orbit?

Yeah, I really can't guess where it is coming from ?!? A capsule docked to the ISS ??

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That parachute coming from nowhere, floating in space woke up my interest.
using powerful next-gen 3D recreation tools, we did a very hard job redoing FOR YOU the scene. For a little $25, see what's happening
I've downloaded the video and watched the part frame-by-frame. The closest spacecraft to it is the ATV:
gravity_54%2C14.jpg

But the thing is that the ATV doesn't land at all ... That would have been ironic ... and useless.
So I got this another frame from it:
gravity_45.jpg

So you may say the Soyuz capsule, right ? This is not obvious, captain... (I see what I did there)

But, hey, this view of the ISS ...
gravity_20.jpg

hmmm... My mind is full of Wat? !!

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It looks a lot like a Soyuz 'chute. That's what I assumed it was, as it's the only craft at the station that has a singe orange and white 'chute of that size.

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
:lol:

Well, this thread has certainly taken a strange turn.

On the original topic, Suzy you do have a point about the difference in err, attire, but maybe the typical outfit that we see in most photos is just for media friendlyness? I do recall hearing that the interior of Mir was very hot (and noisy), so maybe some astronauts would wear a bit less when theyre off camera? :shrug:

I found a few photos of Mir-17 with Elena Kondakova; she and the men are wearing shorts and t-shirt in a couple, but they're certainly not skin-tight!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I saw the theatrical trailer. So what is this, a movie about space stuff blowing up because special effects? :blink:

I was planning on seeing Pacific Rim, but that's only because it's with a bunch of friends and we want a good laugh. This doesn't even look funny. But I might be biased because they're destroying our precious spacecraft.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I saw the theatrical trailer. So what is this, a movie about space stuff blowing up because special effects? :blink:

I was planning on seeing Pacific Rim, but that's only because it's with a bunch of friends and we want a good laugh. This doesn't even look funny. But I might be biased because they're destroying our precious spacecraft.

My preciousssssssss

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Seems that an alteration of gravity just deorbit things... Weird. The question is : how the russians will die and how Sandra Bullock will reenter safely with (or without) her EVA suit ? :lol:

Maybe she has a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOOSE"]MOOSE[/ame]?

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Looking at that pic, it looks like Lt. Ellen Ripley pretty much set the trend for female astronaut apparel.

ellen-ripley.jpg

Yes..yes she did.

Melvin

Reaction score
She's hideous.

I mean really, who in their right mind would say to her, "Can I probe Uranus"?

images

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
It would be better to wear socks in microgravity... you could otherwise get many cuts quickly from bouncing against the wrong wall.

I've seen them many times go "bare footed" on the ISS.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
She's hideous.

I mean really, who in their right mind would say to her, "Can I probe Uranus"?

de gustibus non est disputandum

Out of curiosity: Can you elaborate a bit? What's wrong with her looks in your opinion?

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know if the work of Alfonso Cuarón is widely known, he could be seen as just another Hollywood director for his work on a Harry Potter film.

But his "Children of Men" is an incredible near-future dystopia with the most dramatic long sequences I've seen since Citizen Kane or Goodfellas.

I don't know the story in any detail, but I'm willing to guess that there will be good justifications for the key plot points. Perhaps an impact causes the maneuver motors to engage and give it enough delta-V to deorbit.

As for the shuttle, I'm betting that this will be pitched as "alternative history", an event from 2010 which never really happened.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I found a few photos of Mir-17 with Elena Kondakova; she and the men are wearing shorts and t-shirt in a couple, but they're certainly not skin-tight!
Karen Nyberg was also wearing shorts during the preparations of the latest, aborted, EVA.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Out of curiosity: Can you elaborate a bit? What's wrong with her looks in your opinion?

Absolutely nothing. Besides that, it's not just looks. From what I've seen of Sandra Bullock in the news she is a genuine person and not a Travolta style 'look at me I AM A STAR!!' type of person.