Idea RPG elements

2Gm over cxc

Reaction score
Just found this @ orbit-hanger[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6047"]SpaceTrader[/ame]

Looked it over and it seems to be similar to what kamaz suggested.

It incorporates a mission generation system, ship "hanger" for purchased ships, monetary reward and purchase system, and scripted conditions for mission outcome.

I believe it uses the "current state" save to determine outcome.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I thought about it yesterday evening, and came to this:

Mission: "Blah, blah, blah, deliver water to Brighton Beach".

Mission is completed if all these conditions are met:

primary body is MOON,
vehicle state is LANDED,
vehicle position is WITHIN 1km of Brighton Beach,
vehicle carries AT LEAST 1 WATER UCGO.

Scenario: contains a stack of water UCGOs (or a machine creating water UCGOs) at Shackleton Crater.

Find some way to script the above in a generic way, and you can define missions.

But this already exists in things like the challenges here thanks to LUA.

Personally, I like the way things are as I run my own VSA and can set my own goals.

2Gm over cxc

Reaction score
No, I rather mean a sandbox world for a RPG, like you have in many modern RPGs. Not too much focussed on one storyline and static missions.

I hear yah Urwumpe and fully agree. A linear goal or "mission tree" would not be in the spirit of the literally open-world nature of Orbiter.

With the hundreds of awesome addons already developed, I can easily see one focusing on many different areas: cargo, commercial/industrial/residential development, passenger services, scientific pursuits (like all the "test" pilot and satellite deployment missions included with the DG-IV), rescue operations, ect.

What would be really cool were if there was a way to set up a generic system that could easily incorporate future mods or scripted missions. I always wanted to create a mission like in Event Horizon, for example (send a rescue party to Neptune). Rather than just changing the config files to enable an XR-2 to reach Neptune, I could use my in-game income to purchase upgrades and refit the ship for this mission, giving it significant depth and "player investment" in my very own Orbiter Solar system. Or, if I had previously constructed bases near the outer planets, I would only need an XR capable of making the hops as I would be able to restock on the way.

Okay, maybe now I'm dreaming....:zzz:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
A persistent universe is needed for all that. Of course, you can save your progress as you go, but there's no simple way to launch another space-station for example.

We would need a tool that could merge a specific .scn with the one you just saved.