RemoteMFD Flight Test 2

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry about the jitter, but you should get the idea. There are three instances of RemoteMFD running with different displays active.

L to R: XR2 engine + "stuff", Surface and nav, Orbit and VTOL

Danny Ramone

Reaction score
Will this work with multiple outputs on one comp? Say I had 1 of with
Mint graphics for the main display and then another of for up to say 4 displays?

I'm also guessing that u can make it display almost anything you want? So if you wanted to make a copy of the 2d
Panel and put it on a big touchscreen( funds allowing) that would work?

Also will there be an ask released with this that makes it easy for programming n00bs like me to
Make my own panels?

Sorry for any typos the iPod keyboard isn't the easiest.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Will this work with multiple outputs on one comp? Say I had 1 of with
Mint graphics for the main display and then another of for up to say 4 displays?
Yes. Yagni has all of his displays running from one comp--the same comp that's running Orbiter, actually. You could just as easily have one comp running Orbiter and another doing all your displays.

I'm also guessing that u can make it display almost anything you want? So if you wanted to make a copy of the 2d
Panel and put it on a big touchscreen( funds allowing) that would work?
Two issues:
-First and most important, the 2d panel is fully inside Orbiter, and many of its functions will be vessel-specific, which means that you wouldn't be able to do that through the network.
-It doesn't currently support mouse (and therefore touchscreen) input. It will at some point.

Also will there be an ask released with this that makes it easy for programming n00bs like me to
Make my own panels?
If you want to make a panel from existing components, you can make a config file detailing how to arrange those components. As an example, the screen on the left is of the Engines MFD, which is entirely done in a plaintext config file which defines where the displays go and what data they receive. These config files are loaded at runtime, so you don't have to re-compile RemoteMFD in order to make changes (and, in fact, you can make changes while the program is still running and reload the MFD to see the changes.

For more complex MFDs, there's a fairly simple API (very similar but not exactly the same as Orbiter's) for MFDs. Unfortunately, at this point adding a custom coded MFD requires rebuilding the project (since .dll files can't be loaded by the Linux version), but I'm looking into ways of getting around that, so hopefully at some point it would be just like Orbiter--you drop in a .dll (or a .so or wtf-ever the Linux version) and it can load and use it without needing to recompile the whole project.

Hope that answered your questions!

Danny Ramone

Reaction score
Yeah that does answer pretty much all my questions thanks. What I want to do for my simpit is to choose a ship like the xr2 or the dg4
And emulate that ships panels as much as I can through remote mfd and mount them on touch screens (think star trek TNg console)

I am eagerly waiting the release wish I could help somehow

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yeah that does answer pretty much all my questions thanks. What I want to do for my simpit is to choose a ship like the xr2 or the dg4
And emulate that ships panels as much as I can through remote mfd and mount them on touch screens (think star trek TNg console)
As I said above, you can't. A lot of the functions that the 2d panel offers are not things that can be exposed over the network.

Danny Ramone

Reaction score
Oh well I will just have to see what I can do with thisxwhen it comes out.
The more I think about it the more I'm starting to think that this might
Negate the reason why I wanted touchscreen in the first place.

emrys

Reaction score
Remote MFD ?Available

Hielor and Yagni:

When do you think remote mfd will be available for some beta testing? I am starting to put together a simpit of my own and like the idea of screens with mfds on them.......

Also, what size is the monitor where your external views are (the one on top).

From the other parts of the remote mfd thread I gathered that you are running all of those monitors off one computer with a graphics card with 4 outputs or are you using triplehead 2go or something similar?

Thanks

Emrys

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When do you think remote mfd will be available for some beta testing? I am starting to put together a simpit of my own and like the idea of screens with mfds on them.......
With a little housekeeping, its ready for testing now, for the MFDs we have. I'll need to publish a new version of Orb:Connect and we need to create a binary download for those who don't want to build it. The wiki is the best place to get information on the current capabilities. http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/remotemfd/index.php?title=Main_Page
Also, what size is the monitor where your external views are (the one on top).
My current setup is a 22" widescreen for exterior view, with another 22"WS below divided into two "MFD"s (4 panels). The one to the left is a 17" that I'm using for system displays. Hielor has a different setup - its very flexible.
From the other parts of the remote mfd thread I gathered that you are running all of those monitors off one computer with a graphics card with 4 outputs or are you using triplehead 2go or something similar?
I'm experimenting with different configurations. What you see is a single computer running all three screens but its pretty slow, frame rate-wise. I'm currently configured to run Orbiter on one machine and the two lower displays on another. Hielor runs Orbiter on one machine and each RMFD display on separate machines (old laptops).

emrys

Reaction score
Thanks, this will revolutionarize the simpit development with the ability to have mfd's externally on different screens. Waiting impatiently for the release........will follow the WIKI........Thanks for all your work