Realtime Apollo Mission

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi, I was curious. Has anybody done a full length, realtime (no time accel) apollo mission from launch to splashdown IN ONE SITTING? I don't mean leave the CM and LM cruising while you're at work or school and coming home to do the insertion burn. We're talking grap 11 days worth of non-perishable food and bottled water and locking yourself in your computer room and not coming out till splashdown in the pacific (no shaving either ;) ). Just curious as to whether anybody has done this.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I attempted to, but I had things to do and I got bored.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Basically an MRE. My dad has some from the army.

Stormlordalpha

Reaction score
Hello!
This is a top priority on my list. :) If my wife and children permits I plan to do this this year.
I bought a three person tent, which will serve as the CM and LEM. Inside are my Computer, a microwave oven, microwave food, wet towels, drinking water for 10 days and myself.
I am just not decided if I will leave the tent to go to toilet or use pooh bags :)
Alternatively, instead using AMSO I could fly Orion/Altair or CTV/Phoenix. With this I could bring in an chemical toilet. :)
So you see: We do moon flights because the are easy only the personal hygiene part is hard. :)

PS: I am no freak (OK, maybe a little) but Orbiter let me dream high. :)

insane_alien

Reaction score
most i've done is a realtime KSC to ISS and back again with not leaving the computer room.

i did once set up a realtime mission to mars(although i did not confine myself anywhere) but windows crashed a month into it.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I'm currently doing a realtime mars mission piecemeal (a week at a time with time accel) but my dream is to do a full realtime apollo mission complete with a NASSP 7.0 compatible simpit. One day, one day.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean you can use a real toilet if you'd like. But if you're a real man you will use an apollo bag ;) :lol:

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Doing a realtime Apollo mission would indicate serious Orbiter addiction:lol:

By far my longest fully realtime missions are once around the Earth flights in XR2 (you just can`t safely time accelerate when you are flying inverted in upper atmosphere with speed of 15 km/s)

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While doing a real-time apollo mission without any breaks is an interesting idea, we must also be aware of the dangers of siting in front of a computer for extended periods of time without moving and stretching our bodies.
Prolonged immobility can cause deep vein thrombosis: http://www.medicinenet.com/deep_vein_thrombosis/article.htm

It aslo can happen on long-haul airplane flights when sitting down and not moving for a long time. Always stretch and walk around every once and a while and drink lots of water.

Reaction score
Last week, I did a real time trip from Mars to Phobos (only takes a few hours vs 3 days for Earth's moon) in a DG-IV, and took an N8 nuclear powerplant, and 4 water containers mounted on the wings, and an RMS arm, using UniversalCargoDeck. Here's the scenario:

Real time trip to Phobos

Note: the P906 orbit autopilot will fail in this scenario, because the scripted burn time is not enough to reach an altitude of 120km because of the extra weight.

MAraujo

Reaction score
Stormlordalpha...

pooh bags? do you realize how crazy that sounds?.....

your wife and kids waiting idly whilst you camp in a tent in your house, poop in zip-lock bags, and eat MREs, all in front of the soft blue glow of your computer screen for over a week. I'd say go for it....in 25 years your kid's therapists won't believe their ears. It'd be worth it just for that. But that's what life is all about isn't it. The only people worth there mud in this world are the mad ones. I give you a grand thumbs up!

Ark

Reaction score
And halfway into it Orbiter CTDs.

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
umm... two "http://" in the link, one after another... might want to fix that

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
most i've done is a realtime KSC to ISS and back again with not leaving the computer room.

i did once set up a realtime mission to mars(although i did not confine myself anywhere) but windows crashed a month into it.

Oh well, there's the problem with windows, I even can't get mine up for 6 hours, that's why if not playing games, I'm using Ubuntu. Why isn't there any version of Orbiter for Linux?

Adam

Reaction score
Hello!
This is a top priority on my list. :) If my wife and children permits I plan to do this this year.
I bought a three person tent, which will serve as the CM and LEM. Inside are my Computer, a microwave oven, microwave food, wet towels, drinking water for 10 days and myself.
I am just not decided if I will leave the tent to go to toilet or use pooh bags :)
Alternatively, instead using AMSO I could fly Orion/Altair or CTV/Phoenix. With this I could bring in an chemical toilet. :)
So you see: We do moon flights because the are easy only the personal hygiene part is hard. :)

PS: I am no freak (OK, maybe a little) but Orbiter let me dream high. :)

You can jus lock yourself in a bathroom but then you have to be careful with water near your computer and microwave :p

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Stormlordalpha...

pooh bags? do you realize how crazy that sounds?.....

your wife and kids waiting idly whilst you camp in a tent in your house, poop in zip-lock bags, and eat MREs, all in front of the soft blue glow of your computer screen for over a week. I'd say go for it....in 25 years your kid's therapists won't believe their ears.
I have to admit, when I was thinking of doing a "realtime apollo mission" I never once considered completely confining myself to the simpit I've envisioned (and will probably never be able to complete - the NASSP 7 pit is one complex beast). I naturally assumed I'd use my normal restroom, dining table, and bed (unless I'll need to get up in the middle of the night to do a maneuver). Hat's off to the dedication, but I have to agree I think it's a little extreme to put a family through. Heck, I thought my version was a bit too "extreme," so I'm not in a position to criticize.

The other thing is that an apollo capsule is a 3 man spacecraft, so it makes sense to try to include others. Getting my wife interested in learning how to fly apollo would be harder than pulling teeth, but I hope I can pitch it to my daughter when she's old enough and use it as a physics and astronomy teaching tool during some future summer. Kind of like a "space camp at home."

As a sidenote, my piecemeal mars mission is going well, but I've already started nitpicking my own accuracy because every time I shut down the sim and save the state it rounds the fuel up to the nearest tenth of a percent - that's cheating in my book lol.