Humor Random Comments Thread

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
If what you need is to just use the Windows 8 iso to perform a repair, you can burn one on a usb drive also using the official and surprisingly named "Windows 7 usb/dvd download tool", which works just fine also with 8/8.1 isos.

That's what I eventually tried. But the format of the iso was apparently wrong and I rage quit.

Anyways, my optical drive should arrive tomorrow and a friend happens to have exactly the cables I need.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Three words. Many, if they hear them, take them for granted. Others do not even know how to respond. But when I heard them, it was like time stood still and the world around me faded away. It was like every dream was coming true right in that very moment. My heart began to race. My palms began to sweat. A thousand times I'd imagined this moment. But every imagined version, every way I thought this would be, suddenly drifted into the background. It was in that instant I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I was right where I was meant to be. Three words. Three words that unlocked every emotion in my soul. I'm sure by now you've figured out what they were, but for those who have never been bitten, these three words are, simply,..... "Okay. Your airplane."

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm doing a survey for spaceflight-related activities (launches/EVA/landings etc.) that could clash with the FIFA World Cup....... luckily it seems that only 3-4 Russian launches would happen during a group stage game.... :hmm:

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
p0Dkxn9.png

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Three words. Many, if they hear them, take them for granted. Others do not even know how to respond. But when I heard them, it was like time stood still and the world around me faded away. It was like every dream was coming true right in that very moment. My heart began to race. My palms began to sweat. A thousand times I'd imagined this moment. But every imagined version, every way I thought this would be, suddenly drifted into the background. It was in that instant I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I was right where I was meant to be. Three words. Three words that unlocked every emotion in my soul. I'm sure by now you've figured out what they were, but for those who have never been bitten, these three words are, simply,..... "Okay. Your airplane."

V5ysVvQ.png

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The main thing I can think of that I may lose is a Minecraft world with months of progress into it :p But I reaaally don't want to lose it.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

"MFT and MFT mirror are bad. Failed to repair them."

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Wow, clearly I did not stop to take in my first flight enough :lol:

Hope it was enjoyable :thumbup:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Is it reasonable to think that the hard drive is not faulty, and it was Windows or a random power issue that wrecked my partition?
Sandisk's utilities found no failures.
Free software from LazeSoft has found at least some of my files, and should allow me to recover them to some other storage...

Edit: The hard drive was around six months old. It also has a warranty until 2015. (But without any bad sectors for example I don't think I could easily be covered)

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
inb4"foreveralone".

Seriously, I don't believe in being judgemental. And being alone =/= pathetic.

Anyways, this was the best part about the 2012 Olympics (starts at 1:47):

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, my wife's computer installed some windows updates, and now it doesn't work anymore. More specifically, the system can't find any files. Every attempt to start a program, even windows system programs, are prompted by "path or filename not found. You might not have the permission to access the file, or the file has been moved". Well, I'm loged in as administrator, and I can read the disk without problems.
Though the windows explorer won't start by shortcut with the same error (the system can't find explorer.exe), I can still open it through startmenu->computer. So I can read the disk, and everything is where it should be. The paths of the files the system is looking for is correct, and the files exist.

I can't find anything on the trouble by googling. Does anybody have an idea what might have gone wrong here and how to fix it?

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
So, my wife's computer installed some windows updates, and now it doesn't work anymore. More specifically, the system can't find any files. Every attempt to start a program, even windows system programs, are prompted by "path or filename not found. You might not have the permission to access the file, or the file has been moved". Well, I'm loged in as administrator, and I can read the disk without problems.
Though the windows explorer won't start by shortcut with the same error (the system can't find explorer.exe), I can still open it through startmenu->computer. So I can read the disk, and everything is where it should be. The paths of the files the system is looking for is correct, and the files exist.

I can't find anything on the trouble by googling. Does anybody have an idea what might have gone wrong here and how to fix it?

Can't you restore Windows to its last stable state? It helped me last time the updates went wrong.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't you restore Windows to its last stable state?

It might help, but of course when I try to start the program responsible for that, I get the same error. I can't start pretty much any program, except for the explorer. And even when I go to a folder and start the exe directly, I still get the same error. It's really perplexing...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It might help, but of course when I try to start the program responsible for that, I get the same error. I can't start pretty much any program, except for the explorer. And even when I go to a folder and start the exe directly, I still get the same error. It's really perplexing...

I'm strongly 'biased' in saying this, in light of my PC issues this week, but you should at least do a chkdsk and maybe also use more advanced tools to see if there's corruption in either your master file table or its mirror.
Also, I still feel like Windows wrecked my system rather than a faulty drive. :p

Update on my situation: New HDD should arrive tomorrow. I think I can recover a few things to it. Then I'll wipe the old disk, and try to reuse it for non-vital files. If it dies again, I'll send it in under warranty. If it survives, I guess the total failure was a fluke.

Last edited: