Questions about using a telescope

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a 50mm PowerSeeker 50, and when im looking at a small star my hands on the scope or something, it always jumps off the spot, does anyone else have that problem? and how do i solve it?
Also is there anyway to foil light pollution? a special time at night or a day of the week, that light pollution is less?
Thanks.
Ryan.

Last edited by a moderator:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Don't put your hands on the scope when you're viewing the stars! Put your eye up to the eyepiece but don't touch the scope.

As for light pollution, the best way to avoid it is to take a drive out of the city. You can get light pollution filters (http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=bneodymium), but given they cost more than your whole scope it's probably not worth it for the time being. Many people (me included) view from light polluted areas. You just get used to it and work with what you have.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
My telescope that I used to have was automatic and I would just put my eye on the lens. A good place to view stars and etc. is in the country or the desert.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
^ What they said: point the scope then don't touch it whilst viewing.

Regarding light pollution, I find that it is strongly weather dependent. For example, I live on the north-west side of a ridge in the north-west of Sydney. When conditions are right, a temperature inversion will hold a lot of the air pollution from Sydney on the other side of the ridge, creating good viewing conditions for me since there is less air pollution for the light to reflect off. The morals of that story:

1. Get out to look at the sky more often - it will increase your chances of finding good conditions.
2. You might not need to drive far out into the country. The Blue Mountains to the west of Sydney offer excellent protection from both the air and light pollution for only a 1 hour drive, which is why the Astronomical Society of NSW has an observatory there.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
If you need to steady yourself, touch the tripod below the mount - you will get much less vibration transmitted into the scope that way. But using your leg muscles is better :p

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or get a realllllllllyyyyyyyy heavy tripod like i have under my German Equatorial-mounted Schmidt Cassegrain 'scope. With my old Meade 4" reflector, I always had to worry about bumping the tripod because it was a lightweight design, with the new 'scope, I could play the William Tell Overture while doing long-exposure shots of deep sapce! (well ok, I wouldn't, but almost)

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Thanks guys, i hold the telescope for two reasons, to hold me up, and i do it absent- mindedly.:p
Thanks.
Ryan.
Viewing through a 'scope is best if you are seated. It's more comfortable, your eye is more stable making the picture more stable and your leg muscles don't wear out. If you do need to steady yourself on something, try a staff or post or something that's not connected to the telescope.

Marnault

Reaction score
The Clear Sky Chart for your area from http://cleardarksky.com/, as mentioned above, are great for the light pollution map and and hourly sky conditions.

As for suggestions on movement in your scope, you can try to suspend a weight with some string from the tripod, this will make it a little more stable. But otherwise its best to not touch the scope while observing.

E

ex-orbinaut

Neptune at last!

Hi,

I had been following this thread when it was alive, recently. It seems the appropraite one to add something cool for new star and planet gazers to try and have a look at.

I saw Neptune for the first time ever last night with my 'scope. It is reasonably easy to locate at the moment, as it is right next to Jupiter, which is hovering around the fringe of Capricornius at present. Good references for zeroing in on it. I had always wanted to see this one, as it was one of only two planets in the visible sky when I was born (10th House, for those interested in astrology, too).

Don't expect a dazzling display, it is very faint, however it is an excellent opportunity to glimpse an otherwise very difficult to spot subject. You have to stay up quite late until Capricornius rises, but it is a cool way to end the evening, on the other hand.:)

Those who try it, good luck Neptune hunting...

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Neptune is the only planet that I haven't seen with my own eyes. Unfortunately my scope's packed up for moving, but I'll get it out at the new place and take a look!