Question regarding a photo I took

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Evening. I took this photo of the ISS a few days ago:
wtf.jpg

The ISS is visible clearly at the bottom of the image, but does anyone know what the other three lines could be?
there's two at the top left and one half way up the right hand side.

The ISS track confirms that the camera was still, so it's not camera movement and according to all my sources there were no other spacecraft that should've been visible to the camera at that time (a few at very low magnitudes were visible, but well below the noise level of the camera).

Ideas, people? It's really bugging me. Initially I thought they might be aircraft, but another photo taken about 3 seconds later shows nothing, and the lines are not moving in a direction I associate with flightpaths where the photo was taken.
Doesn't look like camera noise either, and I've never experienced any kind of noise that severe with my camera anyway. As I say, it's bugging me.

Photo was taken on the evening of 27th September, looking south (190deg az) and about 20 deg elevation. Location is central Copenhagen.

(edit) I have edited this photo for clarity (envi bandmath, nothing complicated), by the way, and removed two of the spectral bands to allow me to upload in high res without going over the filesize limit.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Three in the one image (or two if one of the lines is an artifact) is a bit unlikely, imo.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Dust ? Orbital debris ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, lets be analytic : The length of the objects compared to the ISS streak could be an indication. The velocity of the one I see completely seems to be around 30% of the ISS speed. As I am not interested in a exact solution, let's assume, it relates directly to angular speed around Earth (not taking in account your position). it has thus a 3 times higher orbit period as the ISS and is thus about 3^2/3=2.08 times higher as the ISS - about 800-900 km.

So, if both are satellites, both are in the region of sun sync satellites. Relative inclination seems to be about 20°-30° in that photo, no help to identify it simpler. I try to start heaven sat, maybe i can still use it for restoring the scene.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
How long was the exposure? What was the field of view? One looks like it could be a star trail, but the other is at an odd angle, more like a meteor or cosmic ray strike on the camera.