Putting a face to the name

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Me on Saturday night, rather vacant facial expression due to excess of schnapps in the brain.

PB240339.jpg

Star explorer

Reaction score
im starting to feel like im the youngest one here

anywase can't post pic cuz my parents told me about petifiles (sorry for the spelling) and pervs being online and that posting a pic of myself is a bad idea. not saying that any of you are pervs its just that i think i will listen to my parents on this one

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

anywase can't post pic cuz my parents told me about petifiles (sorry for the spelling) and pervs being online and that posting a pic of myself is a bad idea. not saying that any of you are pervs its just that i think i will listen to my parents on this one
That's a fair call for a minor - I'd tell my kids the same too. When I posted my earlier pic with my son in it, my son's face was obfuscated in photoshop.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

It's spelled "pedophile," but you made a good guess, given how it's pronounced in English. We generally turn "t" into "d" between vowels, so it can be hard to distinguish the two. The vowel in syllables that don't have an accent often becomes "uh" in English, and then in many dialects, "uh" becomes the i in "sit" in some situations, which is why the "o" sounds like an "i". And then of course, "ph" is the spelliing for the "f" sound in words that come from Greek. "file" is a stand-alone word that generally has to do with information, such as a computer file, or a folder full of papers. "-phile" is a word ending that means to like or to love, and as such generally is part of words describing people, or at least living things. "Extremophiles" are creatures, especially bacteria, that thrive in environments that will kill anything else. "Pedophiles" are pervs who like to mess with kids.

It's generally good, even as an adult, not to give too much info about yourself out online, and not just because of pedophiles. For example, posting your e-mail address online is a good way to get flooded with spam.

Which is one reason that I haven't posted a picture of myself here yet. (Even though I think one exists online). At my age I'm probably being a bit too cautious, but the other reason is that I'm not sure I have any decent photo's of myself within the last 3 or 4 years.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yep, the "old fart" can still rock 'n roll...

Me.jpg

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Actually it's paedophile. ;)
Generally there's no problems with posting pictures of adults though, just as long as you don't give out any other personal information. Giving out a name, picture and/or location is a very bad idea, IMO.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Geez Nuke...talk about God's country....:eek:hmy:!!! Beautiful "backyard" you've got there!

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well Europe uses Paedophile, I guess Webster's is an American dictionary.

Star explorer

Reaction score
okay guys don't turn this into a discussion about pedophiles and pervs alright

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Never mind "ped-o-philes," you can easily throw 'em off off the trail using deception.

Example!

This is...uh...me:
david_bowie.jpg

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
MajorTom, if I ever see you walking down the street in Seattle, I'm running to find my Zombie Survival Kit. (remember, kids: baseball bats don't need reloading -or- sharpening!) :lol:

Me, looking typically pleased with the world around me:

Attachments

• EppyGlassesSmall.jpg
    EppyGlassesSmall.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 118