Project Project - Outposts

Ark

Reaction score
Sweet. What all is anticipated to be in the first release?

Steve

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sweet. What all is anticipated to be in the first release?

Feature List

The pack I am due to release soon is for the first installment of the Project Outposts series. This will be called Project Outposts: Wet Workshop Pack. This is mainly a scenic expansion pack with mission play integrated into the package. The purpose is to introduce the various modules into your own scenarios so you can create missions to launch modules and components into orbit and perform construction tasks in LEO to build your very own space stations.

Scenarios

The expansion pack will contain a few demomonstration scenarios to show off a few features of the package. Also there will be a number of mission based scenarios where you will be required to launch a space shuttle into LEO and perform orbital transfer maneuvers to reach desired locations to deploy your payload and assemble your station components.

Basic tasks in each scenario:

• Launch to LEO
  • Transfer to station orbit height
  • Rendezvous with station
  • Deploy and capture modules
  • Connect modules to existing superstructure
  • Construct 2 styles of space station (it is possible to create much more)
The exact number of scenarios is yet to be decided.

Space Shuttle

The pack will be shipped with a modified version of the standard Atlantis space shuttle which comes with Orbiter. This version of the space shuttle has some new control panels for handling SRB and ET separation. You have the control to arm/disarm the SRB and or the ET jettison operations and set whether you want the ship to perform automatic jettison or handle a manual jettison operations. All from the same control panel.

The shuttle can to given any ET model within the Project Outposts pack, this is done by specifying the type of ET model you want in your scenario file within the Atlantis declaration within the scenario file. It is possible to add your own models too, but they would need to be installed in the Project Outposts directories. When you perform a jettison operation the ET becomes an independent vessel. You can specify the independent vessel name again in the Atlantis vessel declaration in the scenario file.

The modified version of the Atlantis space shuttle will not overwrite the standard version at all. It is kept in a completely separate directory and does not interfere with your existing scenarios. To use the modified version your must explicitly declare the version in your scenario file.

The source code for the modified version of the Atlantis space shuttle will be included in the Project Outposts pack. There will be release notes detailing the modifications so anyone can freely take the code and interage or modify it to their own desires. My intension is for other developers to adpoted the ability to retain the ET & deliver it to orbit, and for us all to create a standard interface for developing compatible add-on packages.

Modules

There will be:

• x14 Modules
    • x4 Modified ETs
    • x2 3way bridging modules
    • x2 4way bridging modules
    • x1 Cupola
    • x1 Airlock (Quest) module
    • x2 Generic laboratory modules
    • x2 Conduit modules
  • x2 PMAs - Pressurised Mating Adapters
    • x1 Space Shuttle/Russian adapter
    • x1 Delta Gluider
  • x2 Space Shuttle External Fuel Tanks
    • x1 Orange-brown
    • x1 White
  • x1 Solar Array System
  • x3 Antennas
    • x1 High Gain Antenna
    • x1 Giudance Antenna
    • x1 Communications Antenna
  • x2 Space Shuttle Payload Rigs
    • x1 Solar Array Rig for attaching solar arrays to the payload bay
    • x1 Quest Rig for attaching the airlock Quest module and O2/N2 tanks to the payload bay
Thats 24 space station parts for you to play with.

All modules and components can be burnt up in the atmosphere either partially or completely. All modules glow when burning up and stop glowing when they cool down. All module produce debris that also burns up and vaporises. You can create missions to detach broken station components or modules, deobrit them and watch them burn up in the atmosphere.

All occupiable modules have virtual cocpits which you can freely move within the full volume using the mouse and keyboard as steering inputs. You can look through all the windows in all modules, not just the cupola!, and take in some breath taking views.

In addition the airlock model allows you to spwan an EVA character using the standard Nasa EVA character in Orbiter so you can perform space walks in any scenario. Why not take a strole outside and fix a broken radiator? side note (I also plan on releasing a more sophisticated EVA character for this pack in the near furture).

The Cupola allows you to operate all 7 windows by way of a control panel. There is a virtual cockpit version attached to the lower railing below the windows inside the module also. All buttons animate. You have a full 360 degree field of view left to right and about 270 degree field of view from front to back. You can move close up to the windows for a better view, or close up to the lower railing for a taller view. You can even lie down on the floor for a view out of all 7 windows with the Earth below you. Thats a nice view!

The cupola also provides controls to operate the solar arrays if any are attached to the superstructure. It is worth noting the all modules can interigate the various vessels docked or attached to the superstructure to see if there is something they can control. You can select any solar array attached to the superstructure.

The modified ETs also give you the controls to operate the solar arrays in the same way as the cupola module. You can operate the solar panel position and deploy states, also you can control the raditor deploy states as well.

The solar arrays offer another control feature. It is also possible to control the stowed state of the solar panel. This is so you can pack a solar array into the space shuttle payload rig, take it to orbit, then detach it from the rig in space and assemble it ready for attachment to a superstructure. Yes you can assemble the solar arrays in orbit then connect them to a space station.

All modules provide a tool similar to the scenario editor which allows you to dock/undock or attach/detach modules and components to and from each other. If the job of using the manipulator arm of the space shuttle is a little too difficult you can perform the connection tasks via this control panel. This tool is also good jettison broken or dead modules and components. This tool is also used by the space shuttle payload rig vessels to allow you to attach/detach components to/from them.

Expansion

The pack is expandable and I plan to release a number of smaller expansion packs regularly over this year. Such expansions are:

• The Wheeled Stations Pack
  • The EVA Pack
  • The Station Manipulator Arm Pack

I hope you like.

edsupagood

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't wait to enjoy this amazing addon.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Wow! Steve,This is mind blowing,Thanks for all the hard work,I am really looking foward to it.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
:thankyou:

Many thanks to you all, I wasn't sure how this addon announcement would be received by the community. After all there are a lot great station addons in existance already, why should I make another.

Because projects like this take a great simulation and make one step better.

With the "deactivation" of ShuttleFleet. What should I use to have a good experience? The stock shuttle? Space Shuttle Ultra? Or what?

Zacho

Reaction score
This is looking very nice, and just what i was looking for. Cant wait to give it a try. One small question, any chance of UMmu support? And maybe the other things that come with it like O2/food and waste.

Steve

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
UMmu, 02, Food, Waste support

Ok the feature list for this release is unfortunatly now closed as I am in the final preperations for the general release of Project Outposts: Wet Workshops addon pack. But rest assured I do plan on supporting upgrades, patches, and extensions. I talk some what about this in the users manual for Wet Workshops. Project Outposts is a series of addon packages that will be built over a period of time. I plan to release one large addon about once every year for at least the next 3 years if Wet Workshops goes well.

The first addon pack Project Outposts: Wet Workshops is mainly a scenic addon with various modules which you can take into orbit for constructing space stations. The emphasis is on construction for this pack. It will bring you the many various components you need to construct basic wet workshop stations and a modified stock space shuttle to take them and the ETs into orbit.

I do plan on releasing early summer this year a couple of expanisions to this pack that will bring more components for station construction. Details will be discussed in the user manual of Wet Workshops. However I shall make a public announcement now about these topics: UMmu, O2, Food, Waste support.

I plan on releasing in the near future an expansion pack to Project Outposts: Wet Workshops called Project Outposts: Station Commander. In station commander you will be in control of maintaining the power levels, altitude of the station, manueovering station from space dabris, O2/CO2 levels, Food & Water stores, and waste control. This expansion pack will also include failure and fault support so random events occur onboard the station to test your ability to handle problems. Some will include EVAs to fix hardware outside the station.

Currently none of the Project Outposts: series provide support for Dan's UMmu (Universal MMU) addon pack, however I am looking into supporting this addon in the Project Outposts series. This will come in the form of a patch release for Project Outposts: Wet Workshops and should be incorporated as standard for all future addon packs.

I am taking requests for Project Outposts: Station Commander currently, any ideas you have you are more than welcome to email them to me on this site. I promise I shall read through all of them.

Should you use the stock space shuttle or other space shuttle packs? Good question. Well at pressent you will need my modified version of the standard space shuttle, that comes with orbiter, to take the ET's into orbit. However I am releasing the code for the space shuttle as this was originally written by Dr Martin Schweiger, all I have done is extend his source code to support a couple of new features. This code is freely available to all and may be freely used with your own addons. My intension is to get someone else to take over the space shuttle ET release support while I concentrate on creating the space station elements. This space shuttle is a start pack item and contains no more support than the original orbiter version. However if you do read my earlier posts I talk about an alternative space transport system for Project Outposts. I am currently looking into how to build a space elevator for orbiter and this forms a corner stone in the Project Outposts story line. At some point I would like to release this as an addon pack that replaces the space shuttle.

GENERAL RELEASE NOTICE

Ok I am working as fast as I can to get the final documentation ready for the general release of Project Outposts: Wet Workshops. I hoped to have this out by the begining of March but my attension was taken away from the project due to work. I appologise.

Working in the professional simulation industry is very time consuming. I manage a team of engineers where we design and develop professional driving simulators for commerical, civial service and militry applications. As you can imagine I do get very busy at times and luckily we are very busy at pressent as my team has just been given a number of significant projects to work on for this year.

With this in mind I am working to release Project Outposts: Wet Workshops for Easter (next weekend). I will be working all hours to bring this to you as you have waited paitently enough, and I want to move on to the other exciting addons due out this year!

I do hope you enjoy this addon, I have enjoyed making it.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
wow, just seen this project in its nearly-released (i think) form, and its looking great!

as long as i can whack a few of those modules into an XR5 to assemble them, ill have a huge station network assembled all over the orbits!

perhaps an idea could be a community station network, where users take it in turns to launch components to either:
their own stations
a station belonging to a group of orbinauts
a communal station

where the scenario files are posted back for people to load the progress of other orbinauts...

with a few governing rules, i think we can get a multiplayer orbiter game running that doesnt rely on OMP, and doesnt run in real time between users

hit me up if you need any ideas, im sure i can think something up :D

Jarod

Reaction score
perhaps an idea could be a community station network, where users take it in turns to launch components to either:
their own stations
a station belonging to a group of orbinauts
a communal station

where the scenario files are posted back for people to load the progress of other orbinauts...

with a few governing rules, i think we can get a multiplayer orbiter game running that doesnt rely on OMP, and doesnt run in real time between users

hit me up if you need any ideas, im sure i can think something up :D

I thought about that too ! :thumbup: (for the individual stations)
Just playing missions, posting the actual scenario (and list of needed addons) and tell people : "If you want you can fly there, but if you do, would you be so kind to bring that module or supplies or crew and take screenshots along the way."
Few rules, guests fly what they want, how they want.
The station's owner has less pressure than if it was a VSA or collective project, and I don't doubt that a really well described station with story, planning and all would attract more visitors than others.
That could be an additional interesting gameplay mode.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ok, heres some rules for my idea:

each station must have at least one "registered" owner (as registered on a forum thread)
nobody can alter the construction of another station, unless:
They are one of the registered owners of the station OR
They have permission from the majority of owners
the registered owner is responsible for all resupplying of their station, but they may "contract out" the supply missions to other users
before setting up a station, you must first reserve the orbit altitude, no two stations can exist within +/-20km of each other (taken by the smallest ApA to PeA measurement), should the stations' orbits decay to this state, it is the owners' responsibility to repair the orbits, before a moderator de-orbits them both
all dockings/berthings must be approved by an owner of the station to which the docking/berthing is made
all flights must be flown with full realism settings, IE: Nonspherical gravity sources, gravity-gradient torque and other permutations must all be activated
required addons should be limited, since any dependancy requires all users to upgrade, which may have a severe toll on framerates of weaker systems

so i figure, that using this set of advanced modules, crammed into XR5s and shuttles would be a great environment for a public project... perhaps we'll get this sorted out

Jarod

Reaction score
well ... so much for few rules :lol: but still I think it would be better to start a new thread and owners can put their own rules if any :)

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
well, gotta prevent arguments somehow, and it basically boils down to "dont touch anyone elses station without permission and keep the addons down)

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter only supports one type of docking port anyways, but it looks like they're using the whole range of US ISS docking/berthing mechanisms

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
loks like a combination of CBM and APAS, based on the PMAs visible

Steve

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
loks like a combination of CBM and APAS, based on the PMAs visible

You are correct. I will also look into other styles of docking mechanisms in future expansion packs.

All modules use the CBM system but there are two PMAs available, one which uses the APAS-95 system and the other uses a fictional Delta-Glider system based around the same PMA chassis.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
but theres nothing stopping orbiter from docking two incompatible mechanisms together... unless you have some awesome coding in there (i hope) that would automatically undock the object if two of your modules were connected illegally (IE in an impossibly fashion, not in contrast to orbiter law(in fact, the two are the same, because the orbiter laws are the laws of physics, but whatever))

looking forward to this!

Ark

Reaction score
but theres nothing stopping orbiter from docking two incompatible mechanisms together... unless you have some awesome coding in there (i hope) that would automatically undock the object if two of your modules were connected illegally (IE in an impossibly fashion, not in contrast to orbiter law(in fact, the two are the same, because the orbiter laws are the laws of physics, but whatever))

looking forward to this!

Or you could just, you know, only dock matching ports to each other.