Prog Rock Britannia on BBC

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So this is an off-topic forum :p
To all orbiteers who are as old as I am, on January 2nd BBC will show a documentation about british progressive rock. On this day I sure will bite my lower cheeks because I cannot see it...
There are some excerpts available at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/progbritannia/
but not all of them may be watched from german IP addresses :censored::thankyou:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thread moved to the Off-Topic Forum from the International Forum.

*The International Forum is only for posting topic in languages other than English.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Video says "Not available in your area".

Well, fine then. I prefer Canadian prog rock anyway.

rush_tour.jpg

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
LOL for years I listened to Rush and never heard of Ayn Rand until a woman at work told me to read Anthem. Wow. So that's where Peart got all his material...

I missed Rush during their recent tour, but I hope to catch them next time they go on the road. I picked up their latest live album and it rocks, has a lot of songs on it I've never heard live, like Natural Science and Digital Man. Rush was on the Colbert Report back in July, and if you didn't see it, go to Comedy Central's website and look it up. The entire show was awash with references to old Rush songs, Colbert interviews all three, and then they play live.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Prog Rock Britannia. Hmm, too much talk and not enough music.

I missed Rush during their recent tour, but I hope to catch them next time they go on the road. I picked up their latest live album and it rocks, has a lot of songs on it I've never heard live, like Natural Science and Digital Man.

Is this "Rush in Rio"? The DVD is phenomenal.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, it's "Snakes and Arrows Live", 2008:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Snakes-Arrows-Live-CD-Set/dp/B0013H8QEQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1230947197&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: Snakes & Arrows Live 2 CD Set: Rush: Music[/ame]

Spicer

Reaction score
Big Genesis fan here...not talking about Phil singing...I'm talking Steve Hackett on guitar, Phil on Drums, Gabriel singing...I hope they tour with the classic lineup sime time soon!

I actually love Steve Hackett's solo albums. Voyage of the Acolyte is the DEFINITION of British prog rock.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Genesis is cool, especially the old school. I thought I recently heard on the radio that they said they were finished for good, though. It's tough to see all my rock stars getting old. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, but two of the five have passed away, now, so there's no hope of ever getting a tour of either line-up again. I don't know what's up with Yes these days, but at least Rush still looks good and energetic, and they've always been my geek fantasy favorite.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OK, let's see who is prepared to admit which prog rock bands they have seen live. Brit or otherwise. I will start off with:

Genesis
Yes
Jethro Tull
Rush
Focus
Camel (sort of gives away my age...)

Best moment: Yes playing "Awaken" at Sheffield City Hall Feb 2000, original "Going for the One" lineup, only time I cried at a rock concert.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes (90125 tour, ca. 1987)
Rush (several times over 2.5 decades)
Pat Travers (very small venue near Memphis Tennesee, ca. 1988)

I realize Travers is reaching when it comes to prog rock, but his name turns up in a search on progarchives.com, and when I saw him, some of his stuff was very conceptual and musician-focused, so I count him in.

I've also seen a few space music shows in Philadelphia over the years.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The essential Genesis albums came out in a box with 13 discs. Each Album both on SACD/CD an on DVD (Dolby and DTS 5.1).
Quite stupid, because if you don't own an SACD player it would be better to buy only the Dolby/DTS alternative.
The reviews I found sound promising and hopefully they will release them as individual discs.

The only progrock bands I saw live were Eloy (ca. 1975) and Jethro Tull (ca. 1995). Some people also count Ougenweide as prog. Dunno ;)

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm glad there so many people as old as me - seen the following live (all 1970s):

Yes (3 times with two different keyboard players - Wakeman x2, Moraz - I'll bet not many remember Patrick)
Camel (Snow Goose tour)
ELP
Argent
Pink Floyd (the night one of the most successful bootleg albums of all time was recorded at Trentham Gardens, England 'Wish you were here' tour http://www.hokafloyd.com/CDHOKA/British%20Winter%20Tour%2074/British%20Winter%20Tour%2074.htm)

Spicer

Reaction score
I'm actually too young to have seen any of those bands. "Pink Floyd" near Philadelphia, Pa in '95, but I was a senior in high school. I liked their hits, but wasn't too into them.

Genesis existed, but the crappy '80's genesis. Yes came once to town with the classic lineup, but I'm not a fan. I've actually moved from Prog rock to dubstep. An interesting move, but it just proves. Rock IS dead!

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm glad there so many people as old as me - seen the following live (all 1970s):

Camel (Snow Goose tour)

Not quite as old. My ticket collection starts in 1981 (Steve Hackett at Liverpool Empire).

Saw Camel on the Single Factor tour. The warmup act was a comedian. Bizarre.

The essential Genesis albums came out in a box with 13 discs. Each Album both on SACD/CD an on DVD (Dolby and DTS 5.1).
Quite stupid, because if you don't own an SACD player it would be better to buy only the Dolby/DTS alternative.
The reviews I found sound promising and hopefully they will release them as individual discs.

A friend got these for Crimbo. They are remastered under the supervision of Tony Banks (I think). The remastered Nursery Cryme is a big improvement. It now sounds like they were recording inside a studio rather than inside a cardboard box.

The CDs seemed to play on a normal CD player.

bujin

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I never got to see Pink Floyd live. But at least I got to see two-thirds of Pink Floyd in 2006 at the Royal Albert Hall. That was the best concert I've ever been to.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The CDs seemed to play on a normal CD player.

Yes, the SACD are double-layer discs with a normal CD and an SACD layer.

The constant hum on "The Lamb lies down on Broadway" always annoyed me, I hope the got rid of it. Overall, their sound engineers by far did not do the best possible job in the 70s :(

Cardboard box is a good description , streb :rofl: