Problem with Reentry.

Apokliptico

Reaction score
Okay, I know that this has been extensively disscused, but I just can't find what i'm looking.

I need a way to find out the angle of reentry of a ship, like the display in DGIV, but I need it for the XR2 Ravenstar that doesn't have it. Is there any MFD? I tried aerobrake MFD and reentry MFD, but neither show the reentry angle, I'm trying to reentry in Mars with a modified atmosphere, it's almost the same atm as earth.

Thanks a lot!
APOKLIPTICO

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Look at the AOA display about 40 is good for re-entering Earth's atmosphere

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Look at the AOA display about 40 is good for re-entering Earth's atmosphere

I don't think that's what he's talking about.

Apokliptico,
Do you mean the reentry slope display on the DGIV computer display? (the included scenario specifies about 1.2deg for a good reentry if I remember correctly.)
If so, you can find a similar display with IMFD. call up the IMFD Map display. If you cycle thru the pages, one of them shows reentry angle.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
There are two angles to be aware of.
1. the AOA.
2. The entry angle - The angle that the ship takes from it's orbit to the ground which must be less than 1 degree. XR2 has this on one of the displays I believe. it should be in the manual.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Also, I'm not certian that the value displayed is the entry angle, since I've never paid much attention to it, but near the slip indicator on the XR vessels' center panel, there should be an indicator labled "slope", or something to that effect.

Failing that, another way to find the entry angle is this formula:

atan(vertical velocity / speed over ground)

atan is also sometimes written as tan^-1. Unless you want to get this number at a glance, you should be able to figure it out from Surface MFD and a calculator.

edit: on second thought, I don't think Surface MFD displays the speed over ground, so you'll have to use the Pythagorean Theorem to figure it out from your speed relative to the ground (which is displayed), and your vertical velocity.

Last edited:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
There are two angles to be aware of.
1. the AOA.
2. The entry angle - The angle that the ship takes from it's orbit to the ground which must be less than 1 degree. XR2 has this on one of the displays I believe. it should be in the manual.

Indeed all XR craft have this display. It is called slope and is right next to the AOA display.

edit: I was scared by a crow!

Apokliptico

Reaction score
The formula is all I need, thanks! maybe i'll make an MFD sometime with that information, I'm getting better and better in the art of making orbiter addons...

Oh, and the slope is not the reentry angle.

But, how can I predict the reentry angle, becouse I think it'll change...

Tommy

Reaction score
I can't see it in the IMFD map mode...
After you open IMFD and select Map, you'll need to hit the [MOD] button a couple times until it says "ReEntry" on the top left. This is a real time display, not a prediction so you won't have a re-entry angle until after your de-obit burn. At first the only info displayed will be your PeA and your PeT (time until periapsis). As you burn retrograde to de-orbit, when your PeA is low enough, Map will suddenly show you a bunch more information. About halfway down, ReA is shown.

on second thought, I don't think Surface MFD displays the speed over ground
It does if you presss the [GS] button.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, I know that this has been extensively disscused, but I just can't find what i'm looking.

I need a way to find out the angle of reentry of a ship, like the display in DGIV, but I need it for the XR2 Ravenstar that doesn't have it. Is there any MFD? I tried aerobrake MFD and reentry MFD, but neither show the reentry angle, I'm trying to reentry in Mars with a modified atmosphere, it's almost the same atm as earth.

Thanks a lot!
APOKLIPTICO

As a rule of thumb, lower then 1° will get you down safely. I usually try not to exceed 0.5° when reentering Earth's atmosphere.