Gaming Problem: Games not running in full screen

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got an annoy problem here. When I updated my computer it windows 7 from vista, not games run in full screen. They leave this black frame along the sides of it. This happens to Half life 2, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield Play4Free, Jurassic Park operation genesis and Alien V Predator 2. This does not happen to Orbiter or Minecraft.

Here are some screenshot's of the problem:
SimJP2012-02-2518-54-19-11.jpg

lithtech2011-07-0723-43-49-30.jpg

BF19422012-02-2518-52-46-87.jpg

BF19422012-02-2518-51-35-20.jpg

Since the picture doesn't show the black frame, here's one from my phone ( I know it a bit ruff but hopefully you can see it) :

2012-02-25201036.jpg

One important notice is that all of these games played on full screen on vista. Can anyone help me fix this problem??

Regards Stevodoran,

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The screenshots don't show the problem because your computer *is* running in fullscreen--the black border is something the monitor is doing, not Windows.

What monitor are you using, and what resolution are you running at?

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The screenshots don't show the problem because your computer *is* running in fullscreen--the black border is something the monitor is doing, not Windows.

What monitor are you using, and what resolution are you running at?

Its running at 1280x800, as it always was.

Also do you have a suggestion for a different title to make it clearer?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Does your monitor come with an "Auto-adjust" feature?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In your monitor/graphics driver options, can you find something like 'scaling' or 'panel fit' ? Try changing it to 'maintain aspect ratio' or something similar. Presumably it's preset to 'center image.'

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Does your monitor come with an "Auto-adjust" feature?

Not sure, but it is a laptop so I don't know if it has that.

In your monitor/graphics driver options, can you find something like 'scaling' or 'panel fit' ? Try changing it to 'maintain aspect ratio' or something similar. Presumably it's preset to 'center image.'

I've tried changing that, its currently set on "no borders" and when I try to set it to maintain aspect ratio or centre image it just doesn't do anything

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Okay, what laptop?

Also, it's perfectly normal for LCD screens to have a small black border like that...

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you right-click on the desktop, you might have something like "Graphics Properties" that'll take you straight to your graphics card's settings for stuff like above (mine's Intel).

Tried it, same problem. When I select any other aspect ratio and select apply it doesn't do anything.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have an Acer Aspire 5920 (Its not the newest one but hey, at least I am one of the few people around here who has a computer) : http://www.trustedreviews.com/Acer-Aspire-5920_Laptop_review
Found an image of it online. Hard to tell but it definitely looks like there's a thin black border on the screen, and it's vista: http://komku.blogspot.com/2009/01/acer-aspire-5920-5920g-windows-xp-and.html
But is it normal for this to happen only after updating to Windows 7?
My guess? You just didn't notice before.

Keatah

Reaction score
The problem lies in how windows is setting the mode the monitor works in. I was once playing a Stella, an Atari 2600 VCS emulator. Something that lets you play the old Atari home video games on a modern system. It likes to work with low resolution modes.

And on my buddy's amd laptop all was well, we ran something else that made the monitor recalibrate or reset a certain mode. And for the longest time we had black borders when we played the emulator.

I had to switch the emulator to software mode, then run it, then switch back to opengl hardware mode, all was fine once again.

So this is definitely an issue, there could be many solutions. But once we hit on the fix by trial and error we considered it good enough. And left it at that.

Another time, we fixed it by going to dual monitor mode, then back to single monitor mode. Just toggling the modes fixed it. I've seen this also happen with refresh settings too. This is a real problem, it is not an imaginary "maybe it was like this before and we didn't notice" problem. It also doesn't occur too often. And it has no clear & specific fix. It is related to resolution change detection in the graphics card drivers. Sometimes the card doesn't communicate with itself in the right way to convey that a certain resolution needs a certain scaling factor. Quite an annoying little quirk, ain't it?

I suppose it all depends on how well the O/S, drivers, and application can play together. The problem seems to be in the graphics card and/or its driver. The driver can remember screen sizes and scalings and refresh rates. It can select 2 other parameters based on one of the parameters, and its all in a temporary look-up table. So sometimes you have to mess around and use other modes to "force-out" the old conflicting references.

I use a utility called "refresh lock" to beat one of my systems into submission when playing with strange (to the monitor) graphics modes.

Taking an assumptive guess here. I'd say this system, we built around the time when widescreen resolutions were just getting underway in the consumer space. And software (and graphics chips) were still being designed for 4:3 operation. If it's anything I hate it is transitions. Especially from one established & working standard to another untried standard.

And since this is an upgrade. I'm guessing again, that some part of the graphics subsystem isn't fully "updated".. Not meaning get the latest software, but be sure the software and O/S and drivers are all on the same page.

I recall an article I read that lists a number of concise fixes for this.. One involved re-enumerating (like in orbiter) your display devices, both chip and panel. I'll post it if I can find it again.

It would also help to tell me the year the computer was mfg. The type of graphics chip, specific model number. The driver version. and the native resolution of the LCD panel. Optionally, the maker of the panel itself would be useful to know too. As we need to be sure the graphics card and monitor are scaling separately and not together. Because if they do, then one of them will shrink the image, again!

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

I have an Acer Aspire 5920 (Its not the newest one but hey, at least I am one of the few people around here who has a computer) : http://www.trustedreviews.com/Acer-Aspire-5920_Laptop_review
But is it normal for this to happen only after updating to Windows 7?

We have people here without computers??!?? That's cool!! How do they get on the internet and jam Orbiter without hardware?

My lappy is older than yours, it's from 2003, and has even suckier graphics, but gets good framerates and performs fine because I run a tight ship with the o/s.

Last edited:

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We have people here without computers??!?? That's cool!! How do they get on the internet and jam Orbiter without hardware?

I think he meant that where he lives not many people have computers, probably wasn't talking about O-F.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
actually this is a feature of the new graphic drivers, happened to me 3 months ago in Vista, so if you have an old game and the full screen is 1024x800 it will auto-adjust so that the 4:3 ratio is maintained, you can "fix" it by changing the full screen size to 16:9 or by turning off the auto-adjust option in the video driver

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Which then begs the question, are you using the latest graphics drivers?