Planning a new station in LEO, suggestions?

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Im going to plan out a space station in LEO, any ideas for names?

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
my station name right now *subject to change* is Halsey...dunno why

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I named mine the Orion Orbital Outpost (O3 for short). Still has some ways to go before it is finished.

ky

Reaction score
Before I start flights, Im going to make some blueprints. I'll start off with something small, and expand later.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Best way to do it mate. Plan ahead, and leave room for expansion. Otherwise, it is a sad site to have to deorbit the thing and start from scratch after you box yourself in with a poor layout. Been there, done that. Not again!

ky

Reaction score
Best way to do it mate. Plan ahead, and leave room for expansion. Otherwise, it is a sad site to have to deorbit the thing and start from scratch after you box yourself in with a poor layout. Been there, done that. Not again!
So, what do you think?
spacestationvoyager.jpg

Im planning to use ATV as the stations propulsion, and use the Shuttle to bring the various parts up.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
ky I would recommend only one thing. Have your first module be one with its own solar panels, so that way it can power the initial systems. Then you can go up there, install the big truss mounted panels, then be set for power.

The rest looks very nice. Good clean layout, plenty of opprotunities to expand it in the future, have the various types of docking ports covered so all the big vehicles can visit the station. Good luck on the assembly. :thumbup:

Tacolev

Reaction score
So, what do you think?
Im planning to use ATV as the stations propulsion, and use the Shuttle to bring the various parts up.

Looks groovy. Only frustration I can imagine is that (IIRC) the Nebulus is rotated 90 degrees along the longitudinal axis versus those other modules, so your shuttle will be docking into the ITS arrays. Might have to play with some config files.

ky

Reaction score
Looks groovy. Only frustration I can imagine is that (IIRC) the Nebulus is rotated 90 degrees along the longitudinal axis versus those other modules, so your shuttle will be docking into the ITS arrays. Might have to play with some config files.
Actually no. The ITS Arrays can be moved out of the way when the shuttle docks, so that the shuttle does not collide with it.

Chub777

Reaction score
I agree with Cras. Use Zarya or a similar [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3055"]module[/ame]. I also had to play around with my Nebulus config to get correct. Just overwrite the current config with this:

Code:
; === Configuration file for Nebulus ===

Meshname = nebulus
Mass = 13e3
Size = 6.0
EnableXPDR = TRUE
XPDR = 30

; === Docking ports ===
BEGIN_DOCKLIST
-0.05 0 5.4  0 0 1   1 0 0
-0.05 0 -5.4  0 0 -1  1 0 0
2.25 0 -1.62  1 0 0  0 0 -1
END_DOCKLIST

; === Attachment specs ===
BEGIN_ATTACHMENT
P -0.5 0 1.1  -1 0 0  0 0 -1 XS
P 1.96 0 1.95   1 0 0  0 0 -1 GS
END_ATTACHMENT

And what program did you use for the blueprints?

ky

Reaction score
I agree with Cras. Use Zarya or a similar module. I also had to play around with my Nebulus config to get correct. Just overwrite the current config with this:

Code:
; === Configuration file for Nebulus ===

Meshname = nebulus
Mass = 13e3
Size = 6.0
EnableXPDR = TRUE
XPDR = 30

; === Docking ports ===
BEGIN_DOCKLIST
-0.05 0 5.4  0 0 1   1 0 0
-0.05 0 -5.4  0 0 -1  1 0 0
2.25 0 -1.62  1 0 0  0 0 -1
END_DOCKLIST

; === Attachment specs ===
BEGIN_ATTACHMENT
P -0.5 0 1.1  -1 0 0  0 0 -1 XS
P 1.96 0 1.95   1 0 0  0 0 -1 GS
END_ATTACHMENT
And what program did you use for the blueprints?
Thanks, and I used Paint.NET, it has no blueprint template, so I searched Google and found this one
01236_blueprint_1600x1200.jpg

Opened it in Paint.NET, and used the drawing and text tools to do the rest.

ky

Reaction score
I decided to make a few changes to the original blueprint. Zarya and Zvezda will be added to the station for propulsion and living space respectively. I don't know if this order of sending modules up is great, but the list of flights are attached below in a PDF file. Any criticism is welcome.

Attachments

• SSV Mission Schedule.pdf
    34.8 KB · Views: 38

Jaysun

Reaction score
Have to say I find this an interesting subject. I'm currently 'rebuilding' the ISS with the ISS v3.2 package to get some experience with station building. Eventually, I want to have a go at building my own station.

Considering that, how do you guys create all the seperate missions? For example: creating the first mission that would launch Zarya into orbit. Let's say that at the end of the mission, Zarya is in a 250 by 240 km orbit.
Now, how do you create the second mission (Zvezda) where Zarya is there again, still in it's orbit.

And so on, and so on. I haven't found any information about creating all those mission yourself.

(sorry for hijacking your topic)

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I just keep going. Finish the mision, land the ship. Then save that state as a scenario. Then get to work setting up the new craft, the payload, put it on the launch pad, sim forward some time to simulate this work. Then sit on the pad, plug in the target (this being the station) into Launch MFD, get the launch heading, and the time to launch, wait until the time to launch is about 320s (depends on the vehicle being used), then save the state again a few minutes before the launch (for record keeping), then launch.

The whole thing turns into nothing more than a rolling save situation.