OHM Planetring

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: ace102

Hi, this is my first try to create a ringplanet for Orbiter.* It is not perfect. If anyone can improve on this it would be great.* Cheers. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
My brief synopsis after less than a minute or so;

Firstly, the files are packed badly - you've got a folder inside the zip folder, which prevents extracting straight into Orbiter. It's not critical, but it's irritating - try creating your archive from within the project folder, so the actual Orbiter-esque folder structure is at the archive's root level ready to be thrown straight at Orbiter.

Next, Orbiter has a docs folder for documentation. There's no need to leave a scrap text file in the root of the addon. ;)

To the actual addon itself, I can kinda see where you were coming from with it, but it's also really not finished, like you say. It's a vessel, not a planet, so you can't land on it, and that's always going to be the case - I don't know of a workaround for that, planets are pretty spherical in Orbiter. I guess you could sort of simulate "landing" with attachment points or something, but it'd just wind up more hassle than it's worth.

Good points;

It's a ring. It looks vaguely like what it's supposed to be. It didn't kill my Orbiter installation.

Overall: Not finished, by a long way.

walsjona

Reaction score
I think there is an add-on called meshland by artlav which provides collision detection allowing for you to land on meshes and in one of the scenarios that came with it there is a centrifuge with a Delta glider landed on it. If you wanted to simulate landing on the ring then you would have to make it rotate like the centrifuge in the scenario to provide “gravity”.

NLSPingouin

Reaction score
It is not a planet. You just did a huge vessel. So it has no gravity.

walsjona

Reaction score
It is not a planet. You just did a huge vessel. So it has no gravity.
Thats why he would need to make it rotate so to substitute gravity with the imaginary centrifugal force that is felt by a rotating object much like the effect you feel on a rollercoaster in a loop.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Things I would recommend you work on(in order):

1. Directory structure.
  2. Documentation
  3. Textures

Just some constructive criticism.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thats why he would need to make it rotate so to substitute gravity with the imaginary centrifugal force that is felt by a rotating object much like the effect you feel on a rollercoaster in a loop.
Having it rotate wouldn't actually help in Orbiter unless you did the programming to support it.

walsjona

Reaction score
Having it rotate wouldn't actually help in Orbiter unless you did the programming to support it.
True however I did try this add on with meshland installed and it sort of worked landing on the ring with the Delta glider but it did have some problems and I couldn't land on it with the the shuttle-A.

This certainly an interesting idea but may be a bit difficult to pull off

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Who let these Gregorian-chanting monks in my head? :thumbup:

Nice concept. Hopefully the inability to land can be overcome somehow.

raftdood

Reaction score
What about attaching a UCGO base with Universal Cargo Deck. Wouldn't it rotate with the mesh? :)

Ashaman42

Reaction score
What about attaching a UCGO base with Universal Cargo Deck. Wouldn't it rotate with the mesh? :)

You mean like DanSteph's Prelude base? Cos that seems like it might work. At least it makes sense in my head although I haven't d/led this addon yet.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
OK, we all know you got the idea from Halo. It looks almost exactly like it. LOL

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OK, we all know you got the idea from Halo. It looks almost exactly like it. LOL
The idea of a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld"]ringworld[/ame] is not unique to Halo, it's been done before.