Humor Phonetic helper to Moscow Metro travelers

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
In Moscow English speakers can have hard time calling and understanding subway (the Metro) destination and line crossing stations even if they use Latin transliterations which can be found at the modern day Metro maps typed in small font under Russian titles.

Someone have prepared this wonderful map with phonetic "translations" of the name of all the stations which sound very much like the actual Russian words, spoken in Russian.

the map link

I laughed my head off just from following my everyday's route from "Plan earn now ya" to "Be go why are". There are many jewels...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Will certainly be useful one day, thanks ! ;) BTW, is there a perfectly circular metro line like on the map ? Makes me think to a particle accelerator :)

Furet

Reaction score
:lol:
In 1999 I worked about 8 month on in Moscow. I had bought a little book to learn the basics of Russian language before leaving from France and surprisingly I found it pretty easy to read the Metro stations and other signs. Even today, every time I come across some Cyrillic writing, it’s a pleasure to pronounce the words in my mind (but I’m far to understand everything actually).
:cheers:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Fun fact: If you believe the stations in the smaller circles are right to each other your feet will damn you.

Although Paris has that, too.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In Moscow English speakers can have hard time calling and understanding subway (the Metro) destination and line crossing stations even if they use Latin transliterations which can be found at the modern day Metro maps typed in small font under Russian titles.

Someone have prepared this wonderful map with phonetic "translations" of the name of all the stations which sound very much like the actual Russian words, spoken in Russian.

the map link

I laughed my head off just from following my everyday's route from "Plan earn now ya" to "Be go why are". There are many jewels...

You can tell whoever did these had a British (or similar) accent.

An American wouldn't hear ская as "sky are". More like "sky uh".