Phoenix Mars Landing Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks! (Although I had no involvement with Phoenix)

I have coworkers who worked on the biobarrier and arm, so I have to wait for the first set of pictures to confirm the biobarrier deployment before I congratulate anyone.

BTW - love the new forums.

Welcome to the boards. Great day for a first post!

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Jubilations aside. Does anyone else find the lady presenting NASA TV really annoying?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
YAHOO! Welcome to Mars Phoenix, I kinda got the hint that she was going to make it when they didn't loose Signal.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yea I though she was annoying no less. but WHOOOOOOOOO. Damn what a ride. nice work to the phoenix team

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm hoping NASA TV will keep coverage going through to solar array deploy and the first picture.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wonder how many Viking greybeards are involved with this mission.

Wish them luck with the intitialization. Still critical things to be done.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I saw the Landing both on TV and on Orbiter at the same time, They were EXACT.
Keep in mind, I had the mouse on EXIT AKA "Flight Termination" In till EI to Touchdown.

Jumper_001

Reaction score
So I see the ops team all standing around laughing, but aren't there some post-landing activities or commanding to do? I would think you have some configuring of the machine to do, especially solar panel deployment and stuff.

I believe comms have terminated until Odyssey makes another pass in an hour and a half. All of the required operations for the 'set-up' post landing are on an automated sequence. Which means in an hour and a half we should see photos of deployed solar panels, biobarrier, etc.

Welcome to the boards. Great day for a first post!

I was around before, but MSL has severely curtailed my Orbiter time the last year or so.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
It looks like there is going to be some show on the National Geographic Channel relating to Phoenix starting in about 45 minutes.

teago

Reaction score
I like how the new official NASA motto is "Follow the Water", kinda cheesy. I hope that means the next stop's Europa.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just found out that 35 years ago, on May 25, 1973, the first mission to Skylab was launched.

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Cool!! :cheers:

The only thing I am ma daboutis that my cable net cut out around 20 seconds after re-entry started. I had set up the NASA TV feed to record to HDD and all. I also didn't have the sense to turn on the TV as I was too busy watching "X2: X-Men United" in the meantime .. waiting for the net to return. By the time it got connected again, I saw some guys going around cheering. I checked wiki and found that it had landed.

Oh well.. at least it went well for Phoenix :D . Cheers. :speakcool:

Edit: Apparently, the Phoenix Lander blog

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/blogs/index.html

still says 31 minutes to touchdown
Edit 2: I think its T+32, cuz the numbers are increasing :) .

~
Thomas

Reaction score
It looks like there is going to be some show on the National Geographic Channel relating to Phoenix starting in about 45 minutes.
The (obviously pre-recorded) National Geographic program mentions the successful landing. I wonder if they had one for failure too and if so what they would have said for an hour.