Phases of moons

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
For a planet with more than one moon, would the phases of all moons be the same at the same time, or would the phases be different, as they would orbit at different speeds? (Hope that makes sense!)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. If the Moons have differant orbital periods, they would be at differant positions along their orbits, and they would be in differant phases as seen from the planets surface.
Also, you probably won't be able to see all the Moons at once, since a moon at new moon will be on the other side of the planet then a moon at full moon. Moons could rise at differant times, one at dawn, another at noon, one at dusk, etc, and these times could change as the moons orbited around.

That is it, I think.

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
Thanks! It's something I wasn't quite sure of (for some reason), and Googling didn't bring up much information.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Often, when googling some obscure thing like what you describe, I'll get nothing useful. Maybe that is just my bad googling skills.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
If you download a copy of Celestia (free) you should be able to put yourself on Jupiter and look at the moons and see the different phases

David

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The phases of a moon (or other body) result from the positional relationship between the light source (Sun) and the observer (e.g. - Earth). The light source illuminates half of the sphere (assuming) of the moon, and the observer sees that part of the illuminated half, that is toward him.

If the illuminated half is away from him (i.e. - moon between light source and observer), then he sees a dark disk (e.g. - New Moon). If the illuminated half is toward him (i.e. - observer between light source and moon), then he sees an illuminated disk (e.g. - Full Moon). If the illuminated half is to one side, then he sees a partly-illuminated disk (e.g. - Crescent Moon, or Half Moon, or Gibbous Moon, in order of increasing amount that the illuminated half is toward him).

This assumes that the moon is out-of-line, with respect to the light source and observer - which is usually the case, for Earth and its Moon; if all three objects - light source, moon and observer - are aligned, then a New Moon will also produce a solar eclipse (moon obstructs observer's view of the Sun), and a Full Moon will coincide with a lunar eclipse (observer obstructs the light source's illumination of the moon, producing a shadow on it). The out-of-alignment condition is a result of the Moon's orbital plane being slightly inclined with respect to Earth's orbital plane (the Ecliptic plane), so that eclipses occur only during a time of year when there is a coincidental occurence of a New or Full Moon, at the same time that the Moon is at a point where its orbital plane, and the Ecliptic plane, intersect; usually, the Moon is instead slightly above or below the Ecliptic plane, during a New or Full Moon, so no eclipse.

You can draw a picture to visualize it all. Put the observer in the center, and the light source on one side, and have the moon orbit the observer (Earth's Moon orbits Earth, counterclockwise, viewed north-to-south; this is the same direction as Earth's rotation, and of the orbits of all planets in our solar system; it's called the right-hand rule, since it curves like the fingers of one's right hand, when the thumb points northward). Draw the moon in various positions in its orbit, and see how it would appear to the observer, with the illuminated side always toward the light source. This can also help to recognize at what approximate times of day the moon will rise and set, depending upon its phase.

If there are several moons, then what is described above, will apply to each moon, independently, depending upon its position, relative to the observer and light source. Thus, moons would appear in the same phase, only if they were in the same (angular) position.

Last edited: