PFS-2 and mascon perturbation

xlns

Reaction score
Hello!

Just the other day I was reading on Apollo 16 mission and came across on the interesting launch of a PFS2 subsatellite. More reading on NASA's science website reveal plausible explanation that mascon's gravitational perturbations are cause of it's ultimate destiny and, although I was previously aware of mascons, I was dumbfounded to find out that their influence can bring a satellite down from a 100km-sized orbit in a matter of weeks! By a chance, I had a spaceship just sitting in Brighton Beach:))) so I flew PSF2ish orbit for some time (97x120km, inc ~11, lan ~250, periapsis being quite high north) and I didn't feel nothing but a mild, oscillatory 0,1km perturbations in some 10-20 revolutions. I didn't track actual trajectory (does anyone know true initial orbit of PSF2?), but it seems that Orbiter doesn't realistically model such influence. Or am I wrong that I didn't try long enough? Should I try setting LAN so orbit goes over any particular maria?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Do you have "non-spherical gravity sources" on?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the current Moon gravity model does not include mascons, which is a pity BTW.

xlns

Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the current Moon gravity model does not include mascons, which is a pity BTW.

Pity indeed, I was hoping this not to be so. And as for Loru's question, yeah, I have that option on.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is an opportunity to do that by adding a custom force in each sim step. I did calculate the magnitude of acceleration on Earth right, but was unable to rotate the vectors. Have downloaded the NASA 1994 TDRS paper with coefficients.

xlns

Reaction score
There is an opportunity to do that by adding a custom force in each sim step. I did calculate the magnitude of acceleration on Earth right, but was unable to rotate the vectors. Have downloaded the NASA 1994 TDRS paper with coefficients.

Hello!

What do you mean saying you was not able to rotate the vectors? I don't know details of addon development, but I do know that vector rotation is not a complicated linear operator. If it is a mathematical problem, maybe I can help you out? I could find some spare time for complex flight addon ...

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Let's say I'm geometrically challenged, and it takes me a while to visualise things. I wrote the routine for calculating acceleration taking into account zonals only (see source code of Precession MFD at OHM), but the routine gives out vectors in right-handed system, which differs from left handed system Orbiter uses. I could write the boilerplate code for the new addon (non-visual) which would include zonal, sectoral and tesseral harmonics, and then give it to you for publishing at OHM on condition that you fix vectors, validate against known Moon test cases and undertake to maintain the code afterwards. :)