n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
All parties present and accounted for
picture.php

Here's the full parts list I ultimately went with:

• EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (already owned)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 4790K
  • Kingston HyperX Fury Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (I went with 16GB due to recommendations for the HD Mesh v3 for X-Plane 10. Plan is to upgrade to 32GB later this year, which is the minimum recommended for the recently-released U-HD Mesh)
  • Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (already owned)
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (license already owned, to transfer from former PC)

I estimate that I missed my remaining budget by roughly $75 USD after the bundle discount for the CPU, Motherboard and RAM. I can live with that small of an overage.

My case is an older one (circa 2007), here.

My particular case came with the 'front' fan actually mounted on the side window as well as the double-core-fan option. About 3 years ago I moved the bottom-most core fan to the front of the case where the manufacturer originally depicted the side case fan as being mounted. This substantially improved airflow and kept my already-ancient, stock-cooled Athlon X2 and NX8600 GT in the mid-50°C range even under load. I will retain this configuration going forward.

The case, currently with the core mount+fan and rear exhaust fan removed:
picture.php

This will be a slow but patient build, as I have ~1hr, 4 nights per week to work on it. My goal for the night of 2/12 is to have the backplate, motherboard, and PSU mounted. This should give me a great picture of how things will fit and allow me to begin planning cable routing accordingly.

Stay tuned! More pics to come as the build progresses.