Orbitor simpit build

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Small update. I'm currently waiting for the 2 books and the documentary DVD I bought for reference material to arrive. Once I get that stuff I'll be better able to nail down things for the CAD technical drawings.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Tex turned down the idea of a subforum.
He suggested making a social group. Which could be nice to communicate in a chattier manner.
And again I recommend equiping all simpit related threads with a simpit tag, that will make finding them a lot easier.

:sorry:

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
He suggested making a social group. Which could be nice to communicate in a chattier manner.
And again I recommend equiping all simpit related threads with a simpit tag, that will make finding them a lot easier.

Ah, well. Thanks for the attempt. Along with a simpit tag, I think we should also start the thread title with SIMPIT -

And if you don't see the photo gallery, its under Orbiter Screen Shots >> Addon Developement.http://www.orbiter-forum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=503

EJ316

Reaction score
I've been thinking about building a simpit but the trouble is I don't want to emulate a DG although it is what I use most of the time. I'll probably go for a more generic layout that I can use with most ships.

Quick question - is it possible (or will it be possible in the next release or Orbiter) to use multiple monitors for the window view without the cockpit controls, and have the controls built into the simpit?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
You can use multiple monitors just fine. It all depends on your graphics card and the drivers or on your hardware if you use a Tripple Head 2 Go.
And don't forget that you can simply scroll any panel out of the view (if allowed by the addon) or even simpler, use the glass cockpit.

EJ316

Reaction score
You can use multiple monitors just fine. It all depends on your graphics card and the drivers or on your hardware if you use a Tripple Head 2 Go.
And don't forget that you can simply scroll any panel out of the view (if allowed by the addon) or even simpler, use the glass cockpit.

Cool, thanks. Well I'm going to buy a whole new setup if I do go ahead and build this simpit so I'll be able to select graphics cards etc. that will be suitable for the job. Only problem is money - I fear it will be a long time before I can start building.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. Well I'm going to buy a whole new setup if I do go ahead and build this simpit so I'll be able to select graphics cards etc. that will be suitable for the job. Only problem is money - I fear it will be a long time before I can start building.
Well, we won't be going away anytime soon. :)

-----Posted Added-----

I've been thinking about building a simpit but the trouble is I don't want to emulate a DG although it is what I use most of the time. I'll probably go for a more generic layout that I can use with most ships.
That's no problem, I think almost everyone has done something unique. Duplicating a DG (any variant) would be much more difficult, as the panels have displays of different shapes and sizes freely intermixed with controls in close proximity. If you focus on the functions, they're pretty similar, and then use your imagination for layouts.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score

Is there any specific reason why he quashed the idea? I'm very disappointed in the short sighted decision. Making information on Orbiter simpit building easily accessable to the average user was one of my goals in this request. It really bothers me that add-ons get infinitely more respect here when simpits often have more time invested in them.

I was under the impression that this forum is here to help everyone with Orbiter. This decision makes it harder for Orbiter simpits to exist. Simpits need to be seen as just another way of enjoying Orbiter as a hardware add-on. How to make them, how to troubleshoot them and help others would be best taken care of in an organized way on the main active Orbiter forum....here. By not allowing for a subforum here, it makes builders have that much more difficult a task -- searching around totally random or having to look in countless disjointed places to get the needed information. Tex is doing us all a disservice with this decision. He needs to see the bigger picture here and why the decision is bad for us all.

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I was talking to Tex as well.

Simply there has been, historically, no continued development of simpit threads past the first few weeks.

You can still easily start a social group. You will have the exact same functionality as the forum, but it won't be in the main forum list.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Small update:

I've gotten the green light for a Orbiter simpit forum over at www.mycockpit.org. Trevor Hale as asked me to gather up 5 people to PM him with interest in the new forum to make it happen. If you're interested in Orbiter simpits or are building one please send Trevor Hale a PM over at www.mycockpit.org 's forums so we can all have a common place to help eachother. I look forward to chatting with you all and helping out. :)

Last edited:

lockingtoggle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I was talking to Tex as well.

Simply there has been, historically, no continued development of simpit threads past the first few weeks.

Well, I have to disagree with his view.
The value of a forum is not only the frequency of the posts but the information they contain as well.

And honestly; what does it takes to open a sub forum?! Nothing.
So just open one.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I have to disagree with his view.
The value of a forum is not only the frequency of the posts but the information they contain as well.

And honestly; what does it takes to open a sub forum?! Nothing.
So just open one.

As much as I agree with you, it makes no sense burning bridges on this forum to get things accomplished. If they don't grasp why it's needed, we can make other plans. The whole idea of a simpit sub-forum would be spreading information to others in the Orbiter community on how to make them. That'll be harder to do over at mycockpit, but they have tons more expertise in simpit building to help us out. It's not an ideal situation, but I'm willing to deal with the trade-offs involved to see this through. Worse case, just put a link to the new sub-forums in your sig to get the word out. :)

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As much as I agree with you, it makes no sense burning bridges on this forum to get things accomplished. If they don't grasp why it's needed, we can make other plans. The whole idea of a simpit sub-forum would be spreading information to others in the Orbiter community on how to make them. That'll be harder to do over at mycockpit, but they have tons more expertise in simpit building to help us out. It's not an ideal situation, but I'm willing to deal with the trade-offs involved to see this through. Worse case, just put a link to the new sub-forums in your sig to get the word out. :)
As much as I would like to see one here, I do see that its not "free". It would be one more forum for Tex to monitor, even if one of us was a mod for it. I created the cockpits pages on the wiki over a year ago, mention it when anyone asks a question, and no one but myself has entered any new 'how-to' information or any new builds.

The disadvantage is having to look at another forum :( and that others won't know how large our group is (how much support they'll get if they want to try it). As a positive, there may be a benefit of our builds being housed on a cockpit-specific forum as we would be introducing a whole new audience to Orbiter. Interfacing addons like reverend, face, heilor, myself and others have created would still get exposure and support (and requests) here. Additional cross-linking of the sites couldn't hurt either forums page rankings, either.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I will create the forum, but I must submit my reason in denying it in the first place was because I fear there is simply not enough interest in it for a totally dedicated forum. Times in past on previous boards I have created sub-forums and usually they are used at first then die out and given the history of simpit threads here not staying active I figured it would be the same for the sub-forum.

Please understand it's not that I give addons infinitely more respect, it's simply that addons are the biggest addition to Orbiter which all can enjoy. Although simpit building threads are educational and interesting, especially for those who're looking to build one, most people will never have the time to do something like that. That said, I am creating the sub-forum now, let's see it gets used.

Best of luck! :cheers:

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
I will create the forum, but I must submit my reason in denying it in the first place was because I fear there is simply not enough interest in it for a totally dedicated forum. Times in past on previous boards I have created sub-forums and usually they are used at first then die out and given the history of simpit threads here not staying active I figured it would be the same for the sub-forum.

Please understand it's not that I give addons infinitely more respect, it's simply that addons are the biggest addition to Orbiter which all can enjoy. Although simpit building threads are educational and interesting, especially for those who're looking to build one, most people will never have the time to do something like that. That said, I am creating the sub-forum now, let's see it gets used.

Best of luck! :cheers:

This is an happy surprise. :speakcool: I'll do my best to uphold our end of things. Now that we've got the sub-forum it's our responsability to keep it active. :cheers:

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You may end up being right, but we shall endeavour to keep that from happening. ;) Thanks for the opportunity, and may dog have mercy on our souls. :)