Orbiter's Atmosphere MOdel

missleman01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wish to work on some spreadsheets/code to do the reentry problem

To propogate, I need the atmosphere model used in orbiter. Ive been in config files and found the data that shows ground level density and the altitude after which its not considered, but what rules in bettween?

Is it simple exponential? or based on the standard atmosphere with layers with different lapse rates?

Thanks

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
These are my notes from the code I offered you via PM 10 months ago on the old forum: ;)

// Orbiter Earth Atmosphere, 20060504 version
//
// Ref: "Introduction to Flight", John Anderson, McGraw-Hill, 1979.
// (Orbiter 2006 apparently used the 4th edition of this book for the atmosphere tables)
//
// Ref: Orbiter API Guide
// Ref: http://amsglossary.allenpress.com/glossary/search?id=standard-atmosphere1

------
PM sent to Missileman01 through the old forums on Friday, July 06, 2007 8:48:47 PM:

I have prepared a zip file (2.5MB) including Earth and Mars atmosphere models that match Orbiter's current version to about 3 one thousandths of a percent.

The package includes test data and error plots, Orbiter atmosphere data used in the test, and a DLL that can be used from Excel to run the atmosphere models as functions of altitude. (Sample spreadsheet and interface VBA script module included.)

I will look into uploading this somewhere eventually. I though perhaps you might be interested in beta testing the package?

If so, please email me at xxxxxxxxx and I'll send it along.
-----------
In case anyone is interested, let me know.

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
C++ Model of Orbiter's Earth atmosphere

See the attached zip file for source. (Code only)

Attachments

• StdAtmosphere_Orbiter06.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 32

missleman01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well im truly sorry I missed it . Last year was the end of my senior year and the begining of grad school so I wasnt around the forum much, I probably havent been in the old PM folder in ages. Normally i look at the forums, dont sign in and am on my way for brevity. Please dont take it personally, I wish Id seen it.

At any rate Ill take a look. I learned in my undergrad on andersons books and am well familiar with standard atmosphere and have my copy sitting here. Hadnt considered looking in the API for information on orbiter specifically (i figured it would be all programming, not specifics on the models being run).

At any rate thank you for resending that stuff. Ill see about making use of it if i can get back into orbiter in a solid way. Please take no offense at me missing the PMs.

John

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
No problem, just kidding. Standard Atmosphere Humor is an acquired taste ;)

missleman01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I downloaded the files today the code looks fine and I can recognize the embedded information for the computation.

Im not good with calling things externally for Excell through the macros so you may have to help me do the interfacing to call the function.

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If we can exchange email addresses, I can send a zip of about 2.5MB. As I recall, it has a DLL and a VBA example for calling the atmosphere model. Perhaps you could PM me with your address?