Orbiter vs KSP - Comparable?

Swigert

0% Sugar Free
Reaction score
Although KSP wasn't intended to compete with Orbiter, I've caught myself, and I'm sure others have too, comparing the two.

Kerbal Space Program is a fictional "half-simulator-half-sandbox" game where you design, build, fly, and sadly, sometimes crash your own spacecrafts. It's in some, I'm assuming, fictional solar system featuring planets that are like our own. For example, the in-game planet Duna is very similar to Mars. Kerbin is a a smaller version of Earth! And well, Kerbin's moon (Mün) is like Earth's moon. However, is this game really comparable to Orbiter?

Myself, I believe it is to a certain point. After all, KSP is by no doubts a space flight simulator. It's got a cool burn map system that Orbiter can't compete with...yet. An everyday mission could take a turn for the worse by running out of battery power in the spacecraft, or worse, run out of fuel or explode. :sos: That's why you have to build trustworthy spacecrafts...And consider slapping some solar panels on the side as a backup energy source.

Sure, you can also make spacecrafts in Orbiter, but only if you know basic C++, or wish to use the limited functionality of Spacecraft3, like Pipcard suggested, can make acceptable meshes, and code any other features you want in it. However, Orbiter is still the simulator to use if you want realistic spaceflights or want to simulate REAL planets. Overall, I love both games.

To summarize this, both games are fantastic, but barley comparable.

:feedback:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I find orbiter to be, when fully modded out, the most visually stunning space simulator I've ever seen.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Orbiter and KSP are aimed at different end goals, but mesh together nicely. They do not compare; they compliment each other.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But there's Spacecraft3. It has limited functionality, but you don't need to know C++.

I'm not sure how someone makes custom part mods for KSP. Does that require programming knowledge as well (especially for animations)? Or can it be done through notepad-editable configuration files?

Last edited:

Swigert

0% Sugar Free
Reaction score
Pipcard;bt5510 said:
But there's Spacecraft3. It has limited functionality, but you don't need to know C++.

I'm not sure how someone makes custom part mods for KSP. Does that require programming knowledge as well (especially for animations)? Or can it be done through notepad-editable configuration files?

Oh, I hadn't known about that, thanks a lot. I don't think you need programming knowledge for KSP custom parts, but you DO have to mesh them, and if they DO include animation, like the Mystery Goo Canister, you'll have to include that too. All I know is that you need to make a .part file or something like that, which can be done in any text editor if I am correct.

MaverickSawyer;bt5508 said:
Orbiter and KSP are aimed at different end goals, but mesh together nicely. They do not compare; they compliment each other.

Nicely said; In KSP, your goal is to build the best spacecrafts and go to different fictional planets. In Orbiter, your goal is to simulate real (or even fictional) space flights.

Kyle;bt5507 said:
I find orbiter to be, when fully modded out, the most visually stunning space simulator I've ever seen.

I couldn't agree more. Many creations by the Orbiter community makes the simulator simple amazing.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Kyle;bt5507 said:
For me, that award must go to Space Engine. Orbiter however looks incredibly good considering its beyond-outdated G&L. And of course, with the effort poured in by addon creators it becomes a brilliant experience.

Pipcard;bt5510 said:
I don't believe any programming is required for ordinary parts like propellant tanks and command capsules. Plugins like ScanSat or HullCam are written with C#.

DanishOrbinaut

Almost on advanced level
Reaction score
Kyle;bt5507 said:
Totally agree on this; KSP's textures are a bit too cartoonish IMO. With Martins newly released beta 2015, new very hi-res(about level 19 or so) textures makes it looks just like a real satellite photo. Also, Orbiter is a simulator, and KSP is a game. KSP has goals, and in Orbiter, you just play around for fun. And last, Orbiter is teaching you a LOT about space physics compared to KSP.