Orbiter Romantica (a hypothetical scenarior)

Keatah

Reaction score
Orbiter Romantica:

Hypothetically - If by some bit of magic a ship from Orbiter materialized out in the field across town, would you be able to pilot it? Let us take liberty here and assume the controls, displays, and abilities of the ship are exactly like that as portrayed in the simulation. What do you think your skill set would allow you to do?

1- Start the engines and perhaps taxi around town.
2- Complete some atmospheric flying.
3- Do sub-orbital hops.
4- Get into orbit and back down.
5- Make a delivery run to the ISS or something.
6- Get to the moon.
7- Make it to any planet, moon, or asteroid, anytime anyplace.
8- I'm doing experiments designing my own ships and mfd's and have been everywhere already.
9- Hyperdrive babycakes! There is no substitute!

Furthermore, if you were taking your s.o. out on a date, which craft would you choose and why? Where would you go?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I could probably handle the DGIV-2 without problems - it's got so many autopilot programs it's nigh on impossible to screw up unless you mess up the entry interface, and there's a display to tell you that. Of course I'd take the uberpowered, ubersupplied version just to be on the safe side.

As for the date... Either a single orbit to let her see the sunrise from 250km up or a suborbital hop to a city of her choosing. Unless Brighton Beach base was a reality, and even then a 3-days trip may be too long. Oh well, if the craft has functional baths and a shower, I guess we would know how to pass the time between MCCs. ;)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
With the atmosphere model provided by realityTM and me haing no practical piloting expierience whatsoever, I don't think it would end well...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
A Tranquility Sea Honeymoon would be epic...

I could...theoretically...pilot Glider's Dragon.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think I could fly the DG-IV if all the MFDs and autopilot functions were available, and I think I could certainly survive a short mission, but I think the biggest difference would not be in the flying - it would be the disorientation of making the step from a 3D world on a 2D screen to actually having to do everything in a fully immersive 3D world.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
From all orbiter vessels I want this one:
blender.jpg

But seriously I think I could pilot DG-IV from Earth to the Moon. Assuming it will have IMFD and all default and DG-IV specific gizmos.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Talking seriously, if wikipedia is right, "a typical person can handle about 5 G before losing consciousness", so I can pilot all the DG-like vessels if they were real and have IMFD installed - my reentry peak would be < 3.5 G.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Well, that's if you're lucky enough to find yourself not on a ballistic trajectory. And that's just your reentry, what's the peak for ascent? Or for a hard emergency maneuver in atmosphere?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hypothetically - If by some bit of magic a ship from Orbiter materialized out in the field across town, would you be able to pilot it? Let us take liberty here and assume the controls, displays, and abilities of the ship are exactly like that as portrayed in the simulation.

Does that include Time acceleration? ;)

Do you think that a 15 year old racing sim wiz would be a good driver? Would a good Starcraft player make a good general?

Sims are good for training particular aspects of real life, and particularly good for training dangerous things that you wouldn't risk doing in real life.

But real life is too complex to be modeled in any sim, and the removal of the [Restart] button does have more impact than most people realize.

sitha241

Reaction score
I agree that I would (with help of MFD's and some autopilots and fully fueled ship) be able to fly DG-IV 2 in orbit and to ISS and Moon..thats what I would dare to go..and for G forces, few days ago couple of my friends and I went to new-build playground in my village and I opened G-measuring app in my phone and endured 3.2 G in that spinning wheel (carousel?) :) But it ended me vomiting in bush :(

I just now realised that sum was 3.2 not actual acceleration..asumed my phone normally shows 9.6 g it was about 2.2 g
:)

Last edited:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Well, that's if you're lucky enough to find yourself not on a ballistic trajectory. And that's just your reentry, what's the peak for ascent? Or for a hard emergency maneuver in atmosphere?

Ballistic reentry with DG-like vessel and proper deorbit maneuver?

The ascent peak is < 3 G in XR series if I don't use scram + full main and < 2 G in DG/DGIV.

I know I would need proper training in the real world, but since we're talking about an unlikely situation (an Orbiter spacecraft spawning), I'm considering I would able to control the ship in a "standard" flight.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Does that include Time acceleration? ;)

Do you think that a 15 year old racing sim wiz would be a good driver? Would a good Starcraft player make a good general?

Sims are good for training particular aspects of real life, and particularly good for training dangerous things that you wouldn't risk doing in real life.

But real life is too complex to be modeled in any sim, and the removal of the [Restart] button does have more impact than most people realize.

Well, I'd like to think I'm at least an OK driver. :p