Project Orbiter Racing League (Offline) Dev Thread

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Cheers for the updated links Face. computerex and I have been discussing a few extra additions to the mfd. Providing we go ahead with them, chances are I will wait til they are in before I update the OH release. Although since those things are only cosmetic I may release an update before then, just to correct all these small errors.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
I updated the current package to v1.1, addressing the few issues with version 1. I also tweaked a mesh and edited the manual.

Planned and still to come is:-
-MFD updates, with sound and maybe other features
-More race courses
-Forum based league (perhaps if there is demand)

I have a request. Can I have some suggestions for other TT race, sub-orbital SCRAM hops? KSC-WIN is the only one so far and I'd like to add a few others.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How about WIN -> Lunar Orbit -> WIN. :)

The lunar orbit aspect could simply mean one revolution around the moon at any altitude and inclination. You wouldn't even need to necessarily finish the orbit, just hit the far side and swing around back to Earth.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Edwards/Vandenberg-KSC? or maybe KSC-Zaragoza
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll at it to the shortlist.

How about WIN -> Lunar Orbit -> WIN. :)
The lunar orbit aspect could simply mean one revolution around the mon at any altitude and inclination. You wouldn't even need to necessarily finish the orbit, just hit the far side and swing around back to Earth.
lol. Brave race! I'll just have to figure out how to get aballoon gate checkpoint on the moon... ;)
Seriously though, I will consider something more orbital perhaps, but I doubt that will include leaving LEO. That's not to stop you putting the scenario and CP files together yourself though!

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
lol. Brave race! I'll just have to figure out how to get aballoon gate checkpoint on the moon... ;)
Seriously though, I will consider something more orbital perhaps, but I doubt that will include leaving LEO. That's not to stop you putting the scenario and CP files together yourself though!

If there's a lunar stationary orbit, you could center a beacon on the far side of the moon (zero inclination and collinear with Earth and the moon) and set the radius of the beacon (ie the zone you need to enter to hit it) to be the distance from the beacon to the day/night terminator line. Should provide a decent cone to hit and I believe it would allow for just about any low lunar orbit to hit the beacon.

But that was just my idea. :)

In any event, something orbital is very necessary, since it seems to be that there is little variation from KSC -> WIN and any other suborbital flight (maybe with the exception of fuel use). But an orbital run really opens it up. Heck, if you hold a race in the Jupiter system, you could bounce from moon to moon... :p

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
how about KSC to Habana, it's not the big distance but a high speed landing can be interesting.

Edit:

I often push the DG-IV into orbit with help from the TX from Wideawake. i'm sure a TX speed flight from WIN to SRC-Port may have some tricky moments.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
would it be possible for the Race MFD to publish your race data to a website automatically?

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Arrowstar and Oceanic. Cheers for suggestions. I'm actually a pretty rubbish orbital pilot, when it comes to efficiency, so I will put a shortlist together of possible new TT races and let you lot decide what you want implimented.

would it be possible for the Race MFD to publish your race data to a website automatically?
This is an interesting idea. The MFD currently spits out logs into the checkpoints/logs folder which give a detailed breakdown of a race. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to have this .html file uploaded to a server. I shall see what computerex has to say on the matter.

Failing that, we can always have a central repo for contenders best logs that need to be uploaded manually through ftp or whatever. Failing that, we will have to use a screenie of the final page of the MFD after the race, showing the total time and etc. Although, yes I agree, this is open to abuse.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I haven't had time to check the new 1.1 version (and this is probably a bit late anyway), but given you've taken the time and effort to make two new ORL skins for the project, it seems a waste not to have the skins set in the scenario files.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, agent, I was going to include them into the scenario files. But I didn't for 2 reasons. 1. I didn't include the hull bottom texture, so it requires a little set-up, and as we all know a lot of people don't read the manual ;). 2. I didn't know whether people would want red or blue so thought i'd just let them decide.

In hindsight I suppose I could have added 6 extra scenarios for the XR2 races with red and blue skin as an option. I'll chuck them in whtever update is next.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I didn't include the hull bottom texture, so it requires a little set-up,
I just changed that one line in the scenario file and it worked with the skin. I didn't change the bottom texture so it's probably a mismatched texture, but I couldn't tell the difference. Nothing bad happened to it and the top skin displayed fine. No setup-necessary

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
oh that's interesting...

You see I thought I didn't need the bottom hull tex in the custom skin folder, as I was sure it would use the default if none present, but I kept getting a CTD without it.... odd.

Oh well, another little fix to make for the future then. Cheers mate.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
oh that's interesting...

You see I thought I didn't need the bottom hull tex in the custom skin folder, as I was sure it would use the default if none present, but I kept getting a CTD without it.... odd.

Oh well, another little fix to make for the future then. Cheers mate.
Probably want to test it out more thoroughly and see why yours CTD'd though. Nothing worse than releasing an addon that crashes.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Doug says you don't need the bottom hull tex in custom skin folders, as it will revert to the default if none is present. So I must have done something else to cause the CTD.