Orbiter Magazine

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
I was looking on Danstephs Orbiter site, and saw a link to Orbiter Mag.When I clicked on the link to it,I saw that it was from August(its french so I cant understannd it,correct me if i'm wrong)2009,I thought of making one.So,if anyone wants to help,have any screenshots from orbiter, or have suggestions for articles,please PM me.If anyone wants to create an article,they can send it to me at [email protected].I hope to have a tutorial,interview,a list of add-ons released each month,Add-ons in development,Any orbiter development news,a page of orbiter screenshots,and a world news page.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
The DeltaV `twas called, I do believe. I was surprised after "disappearing" for 3 years that another volume never happened.

It was a good idea then, and remains so today.

I'd love to see some sort of resource guide - a list of sites with technical publications that addon developers might find useful.

ky

Reaction score
Hope it doesnt turn out the same way.So again,anyone want to join this?

Keatah

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. I think trying to do it every month is a little too much. I would recommend it quarterly. That gives us time to prepare articles, test out tutorials and addons, and generally research our contributions.

Orbiter is a slow moving community and trying to keep things rolling month after month will become too fatiguing.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I second the quarterly notion. I would also recommend finding someone who has In Design laying around, as it produces nice products.

ky

Reaction score
I dont,but when I get back to school I have iphoto,and comic life to use.Comic life works on windows too.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I would also recommend Quarterly. Having looked through the issue of DeltaV above, I believe that this would be a very interesting project. Are we "Assuming" the name DeltaV or coming up with our own?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I request you come up with your own name please.

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
Sounds like a cool idea, always wished there was a newspaper store sold orbiter magazine for us orbitnauts so i could make train commutes go by whilst reading the latest add on reviews, but online orbiter magazine will be just as good.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
I really love the idea of an Orbiter magazine. I imagine it to feature basic tutorials, hints for developers, previews of work in progress add ons, reviews of older add ons, background information on real life space stuff, news about VSAs, OFSS etc.

Instead of using the payware ComicLife or InDesign, I'd recommend to use Scribus, which is free and open source and works on Mac, Linux and Windows.

My name suggestion: Orbinaut ;)

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
I could imagine interviews with add-on developers.

Theory-of-ops and block diagrams of how orbiter is put together, like a flowchart of a sorts.

A Q&A section.

Article on how you can get your name and some text put on a CD that is launched on missions, like for the new horizons and mer craft. I signed up on those. But what about future missions? How and where can we get info on this would be great!

This rag doesn't need to confine itself strictly to orbiter. We can talk about other aerospace things.

Lists of required reading and why, like go play in space. And orbital ops by smitty. deconstructions of this documentation and why it is good and why it is bad.

Reviews of earlier versions that had groundbreaking features.

Overviews of general trends in the orbiter community and orbiter itself. And addons.

Interviews with users and how they use orbiter to bring awareness to the space program.

Methodologies and general tutorials for add-ons, general ops, making mfd's, using the LUA script, using other modules, intro to programming.

Texture making, planet making, skin painting.

Things to wish for on new versions.

Interviews with regular players (orbinauts).

Hardware recommendations. Unique uses. Unique hardware installations.

Updates on add-ons.

Artwork based on screenshots or totally unique works of art.

A real-life astronomy section, updates on real-life spacecraft, orbital elements/ephemeris information or where to get it.

Lists of resources, web links, nasa publications.

Scenarios and challenges and how you solved them.

Reviews of freeware and payware tools used in creation of add-ons.

Reference charts and cut-out checklists for add-on ships.

Theory of spaceflight, what to expect in 20 years, 50 years..

Interviews with devs explaining how they do what they do, and what else they do.

Photoshoots of orbiter computer setups.

References and highlights of threads on orbiter-forum. These could be of any topic.

Speculations and real news on physics.

Things like this. But before any of this gets underway, we are going to need a name and logo and style of cover than can be consistent from issue to issue. Unless this is made to be printed out and stapled together, I recommend we don't go too overboard with gussying up the publication with tedious formatting activities. If done right, we could have a good ready reference potpourri.

I must also add, that much of the orbiter community is a dynamic one, things are always changing, and a lot REAL LOT of info is disseminated right here on these forums, in timely fashions too. And yet, it is also a slow-moving project, because there can be a few years between major releases of orbiter. And some add-ons can take a year to make as well. And I strongly believe the magazine will need to tie-in to the forums somehow.

As far as a world news page? I'd say put together a list of the top 20 sites. The list can change as needed. This world news section will be very difficult to maintain unless you have a real news crew and infrastructure at your disposal

I like the idea of add-on currently in development. That would be nice.

And you will need contributors, one person shouldn't work on a project like this. Opposing and different viewpoints and styles and insights are required.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

ky

Reaction score
Okay,so anyone else for name ideas?If Arthur_Dents is the only one i'd suggest Orbinaut Quarterly

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I've got an idea, The Quarterly Apogee, has a nice ring to it, so who cares if it makes no sense. :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Actually, scratch that. The Quarterly Burn.

ky

Reaction score
I've got an idea, The Quarterly Apogee, has a nice ring to it, so who cares if it makes no sense. :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Actually, scratch that. The Quarterly Burn.

lol okay.So we got:
1)Orbinaut Quarterly
2)The Quarterly Burn

When we have all suggestions,we will vote on a name.We need one more suggestion.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Talking about names and covers and other trivial things this early on strikes a similar chord with people's titles in VSA's. (Yes, I am aware tl8 wants to keep his name.) Get some articles going, etc etc, then slap a name on it. Or, if a name comes to you, write it down and save it for later. But this early on, you should only be actively working on content. Like a lot of projects, you don't realize how much work there is until you are waist deep in quicksand.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
I'm not sure if "quarterly" would make a good part of a title. Although the makers should aim a quarterly publication, it is not always that easy. As we learned from past and/or similar endeavors with virtual magazines, where generally no one is a professional editor and has other obligations besides free editorial work, it is sometimes hard to release something more than once or twice.

Stuff like that is usually done by people who always tend to volunteer to do such things.

Although I really like the name "The Quarterly Burn", it would become a bit strange to have a magazine that might be only published 1-3 times a year.

Other "brainstrom" suggestions:
  • LEO
  • Orbit
  • Lift off
  • Prograde
  • Orbiter Magazine
  • Boilerplate
  • Beanie Cap
  • Gimbal Lock
  • ZeroG

ky

Reaction score
Ok,im planning on the magazine being 10 pages long.So what will be on the first 2 pages.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Want to echo what Pablo49 said. There's a lot of work that goes into a periodical. I think Arthur Dent has some pretty good ideas on what might go in it also (tutorials on lua scripting would be very timely for me).
I'd be willing to pen an article on a simple rocket/multistage tutorial or something.

Another name idea just hit me... De-orbit burn. The point would be to take all things Orbiter and bring them "down to Earth". But then some of the more advanced users (gurus) could be convinced (begged?) to write something for the power users or something.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com