Internet Orbiter Internet Radio

Would you like to listen or broadcast on Orbiter-Radio

• I don't want to do either! Leave me alone!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I hope it's nothing serious. All the best

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Turned out to be nothing to worry about - though having a camera shoved up my nose was certainly an experience I don't fancy repeating any time soon! :/

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Broken Link

Referring to the thread's 1st post, this link:

Gives me the following location:

which results in:

BrokenInternetRadio.jpg

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That's true.

The radio itself is currently broken because of a DNS change I haven't managed to fully finish propagating yet. However, the IRC server has been updated;

The Orbiter Radio IRC server is now on irc.orbiter-radio.co.uk instead of irc.orbiterradio.com. I've given up ownership of the .com in favour of the cheaper .co.uk. Those regular connectors should update their clients accordingly.

The radio I will fix tonight.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
OK; I've fixed the link in the OP and added a poll for... Well, mostly my own amusement, but also to feel around for interest in future radioings. :)

I am half working on a new website, in the meantime there's a slapdash blog at http://www.orbiter-radio.co.uk/blog :)

---------- Post added 13-05-12 at 00:43 ---------- Previous post was 12-05-12 at 17:16 ----------

I fixed the web-chat (finally). There's a link in my signature, which now points to:

http://www.orbiter-radio.co.uk:9090/

orbekler

Reaction score
To me, this Forum is: Fun, educational and mind-stimulating.

EDIT: I'd be more than happy to make my small contribution (come up with a few bucks) for such a project!
Wish i had some DJ skills, but unless the audience is interested in listening to Greek pop music :lol:, i think i'll contribute to this in another way!

I just recall that in my vinyl collection there's a 7" by Dionyssis Savopoulos - Dirlada / Sinefoula, 1970.
Would it satisfy you? :lol:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
That's true.

The radio itself is currently broken because of a DNS change I haven't managed to fully finish propagating yet. However, the IRC server has been updated;

The Orbiter Radio IRC server is now on irc.orbiter-radio.co.uk instead of irc.orbiterradio.com. I've given up ownership of the .com in favour of the cheaper .co.uk. Those regular connectors should update their clients accordingly.

The radio I will fix tonight.

After reporting the problem 8 months ago, I'm glad to see the radio station come back.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm sure glad the Orbiter radio is coming back. I missed listening to the music and radio shows!

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
After reporting the problem 8 months ago, I'm glad to see the radio station come back.

As am I. I can harp on about work and kids taking my time up, but in truth even time I've had that I could have devoted to OR, I haven't bothered. There's always been "something else" to do.

I'm glad to seee interest still exists; one other thing, though - Orbiter Radio MFD won't work any more, and I don't have the source code for it any more (the backup I thought contained it did not) - so it'll be getting rewritten. Given that most seem to have switched to Orbiter 2010 now, is there still any point in my writing a legacy version for 2006-P1? Speak now, or forever hold your blah blah blah...

I'll be talking with those interested in broadcasting shows soon (within the month) and we'll discuss what you need and what you'd like to do. There is no real restriction with regards to show types, and anyone is welcome to join in, broadcast or listen. I recommend TeamSpeak 3 and Virtual Audio Cable for making collaborative talk shows with non-local participants, we've had good success with that in the past and a few of us I think know how to wire it all up (I certainly recall the way to do it).

I'm also open to suggestions for what to put on the new website. I'm thinking some form of schedule we could really do with, once we've sorted one out, and perhaps a space to talk about radio station business that isn't this one thread on O-F (saves me having to ban myself for cross-posting :p), and a web-player for the radio itself (we used to have one with the internet-radio.co.uk station, but we haven't had that for a while now).

Going forwards, I'm not opposed (as the last blog says) to reobtaining a paid icecast server with more bandwidth, provided there's a point to it (I.e that bandwidth being fully used). That's something we'll find out in time, I suppose.

I'm active in Orbiter Radio's IRC most evenings UK time if anyone wants me... Not that many people do... :p

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I never noticed this thread, now I feel like a derp. I'd definitely be interested in doing a broadcast.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I never noticed this thread, now I feel like a derp. I'd definitely be interested in doing a broadcast.

Much like the radio and the IRC, it's been hiding in plain sight for two years, neglected. :)

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
Yay! My dignity is restored. But I'd most certainly like to do a section, help develop mah mixin' skills and do somethin' cool at the same time.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So, another year has passed and this never happened. Maybe i should get it tattooed onto myself, that way I won't forget...

Here's the current state of affairs:

Radio (icecast): OFFLINE
Website (http://orbiter-radio.co.uk/): OFFLINE

So now, let's see. I have suggested a restart a few times, gotten a little interest, and promptly forgotten about it, gone off and done other things. I have found myself, over the last year, very time-constrained, and i dont see this changing much any time soon.

I will still run the station (i.e, restore service and facilitate djs), but reasonably, I can't subscribe to a timetable plan any more. So here's my proposal; open mic.

I'm planning to leave the server running, and host a small wiki page on the site detailing common broadcasting setups, to help people get on the air. And that's it - no asking, just broadcast. I'll request that you visit the irc, though, while you're on-air - it is the network's de facto communication method. You also won't be able to join the stream when someone else has it - that's how icecast works.

I intend to make this tonight. Feel free to pm / spam me in IRC if i forget (which i might). I may also make a teamspeak server available for radio use.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can DJ for this while I have nothing more to do, if someone else loves electronic music style ... Or if someone is on a Reentry state ^^

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That's the ticket! I should add I'll also be working on rewriting that MFD to make it work, but only for 2010-P1 and beyond (i.e the sketchpad interface). I don't have the time to make and maintain two versions, but I'll include the source, in case anyone wants to port it.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
I can make some broadcast program about biology, medicine, or physics, I am in the knowledge that a good mic for presentation can be attained for just $50, and a very good one at $100, but I probably won't be able to go live due to my connection though :(, and life will be busy (and very budget-constrained, since I'm also planning on a camera) until at least August, but hey, as long as the facility is there, and the interest is rising, I can prepare a broadcast about what space can do to your body.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I can make some broadcast program about biology, medicine, or physics, I am in the knowledge that a good mic for presentation can be attained for just $50, and a very good one at $100

I think I paid somewhere in the region of £20 for mine. Not sure what that converts to, but I wouldn't have thought it even $50...
but I probably won't be able to go live due to my connection though :(,

That's what test runs are for. The whole thing runs on surprisingly little bandwidth, but you will need a somewhat reliable connection. As long as you can push around 500Kib/s, you should be OK, but even if you don't, it might be.

and life will be busy (and very budget-constrained, since I'm also planning on a camera) until at least August, but hey, as long as the facility is there, and the interest is rising, I can prepare a broadcast about what space can do to your body.

I know busy, that's why I'm trying to open the format up a bit, to make it as flexible as possible. Your premise sounds interesting and certainly befits the theme, so, it sounds good to me!

Pablo49

Reaction score
but I probably won't be able to go live due to my connection though :(
I used to do my show on a really slow connection (even under Xyon's 500kib/s estimate), and it worked, just the lag between when you play your music and when they hear it is increased. (Chatting along in irc was sometimes hilariously out of sync) As Xyon said, as long as the connection is stable, it should be fine.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I used to do my show on a really slow connection (even under Xyon's 500kib/s estimate), and it worked, just the lag between when you play your music and when they hear it is increased. (Chatting along in irc was sometimes hilariously out of sync) As Xyon said, as long as the connection is stable, it should be fine.

Yeah, I think it got up to two whole minutes at one point. The server's clever enough to cope with a lot of latency, though it does have a hard limit. My biggest concern is my own outpipe, which isn't very big - though if things spin up enough, I might look at external hosting again.

---------- Post added 25-04-13 at 00:28 ---------- Previous post was 24-04-13 at 20:43 ----------

Don't shout, I didn't forget! I just had an issue with hard drive space on one server that turned out to last all night fixing.

I'll finish it off tomorrow, for now I must sleep. But we're 75% of the way there.

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 00:28 ----------

It WORKS!!!

Well, I'm quite surprised myself. You'll find a (mostly populated) wiki here and a working radio station here.

Those wiki articles that aren't currently filled will be soon, but I have some other business to attend to regarding the server move (which is detailed there too).

---------- Post added 26-04-13 at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was 25-04-13 at 21:01 ----------

Thanks to a friend of mine, we now have a relay server for the radio as well! If you're experiencing buffering, try using http://relay.orbiter-radio.co.uk:8000 instead.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
btw can I pre-record the session and then broadcast that rather than going live? I think this is prefferable for such a long talk that is going to be needed by my topic (well we have no ads here and there in the stream the sound of me taking more air or drinking water wouldn't be very entertaining)