Internet Orbiter Internet Radio

Would you like to listen or broadcast on Orbiter-Radio

• I don't want to do either! Leave me alone!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
As I said on-air last night, due to ill health I was unable to host the shuttle show on Tuesday nor indeed my own show on Monday.

I have tentatively re-scheduled the shuttle show for an evening slot this Sunday, same time as above (1900 UTC, 2000 BST, 2100 CEST, 1500 EDT). All those wishing to take part please make yourselves known to me in some way, at least an hour before the show if possible.

michaeldim

The Dread Pirate
Reaction score
A particularly hilarious moment I happened to capture by chance. Xyon's Nazgul story. Quality is pretty bad because it came off of, well, a cassette tape.

New version has 100% more screaming and also is uploaded locally.

Attachments

• XyonNazgul.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Right, the shuttle show is a goer! Those wanting to listen can do so in the usual fashion - those wanting to take part, read on!

To host the call in part I'm using a teamspeak server. You'll need to get the client to join in, from here - make sure you pick the right one (client, either 32 or 64 bit. If you're not sure, it's 32 bit. ;) ).

The server can be reached by pointing the client at orbiraditeamspeak.thruhere.net, using the default port of 9987. The rest should be apparent, but if not, I can help you out once you're connected.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I just tried to listen to Orbiter Radio, in the usual way that i do.
I first find one of Xyon's posts, hit the schedule link to see who's playing and then hit the Orbiter Radio link. Then i hit the winamp button to get the playlist.pls and after clicking on it i press play on my vlc player.
Today though, i had an HTTP authentication window pop-up that is asking for a user name and a password. "Please enter a valid login name and a password for realm (null)".

What's up with that?

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That's odd, but shouldn't be happening. At the moment, the autostream is down and I believe insanity has decided not to bother doing his show tonight, for whatever reason, so the cause of that could be that there's no source for the radio.

I'm working to get the autostream fixed ASAP, but it's going to take some time.

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I get the same thing whenever the stream is down.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
http://orbiterradio.thruhere.net is now re-pointed to a different place!

Actually, it points here now, and with good reason; there's a forum over there specifically for OrbiRadio things and stuff. Or stuff and things.

Peace out. :)

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Xyon,

I pressed the http://orbiterradio.thruhere.net/ link, only to find a "Hello there.

I moved the stream page, sorry."

But when i pressed the link on that page... i get the HTTP authentication pop-up window...

Am i doing something wrong?

I haven't tried it yet through Orbiter2010 and your MFD... let me check on that and see what it does.

EDIT: I did try it out the OrbiterRadio MFD on Orbiter 2010 (the 2010 MFD) and this is what i get:
OrbiterRadio.jpg

(I have pressed the "play" button)

EDIT No2: Everything works fine now... thanks!

Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, the MFD connects directly to the stream, so you shouldn't really have had any problems with that caused by the move.

As for an authentication window, tis nothing I've set up...

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
As for an authentication window, tis nothing I've set up...

I've seen that pop up when the autostream is down so normally I'll check out the shoutcast page and see if DJ Jolene is playing tthe stream or not.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The common denominator for this authentication window seems to be VLC player. I tune in to other shows with Foobar2000, but I have VLC for playing those videos with odd codecs or whatever. I've never seen the message as described, nor any HTTP authentication window.

The link on my redirect splash page sitting behind the webhop at http://orbiterradio.thruhere.net is the same link that the webhop used to redirect to, there should be no difference (With the exception of the _blank window target to get rid of the DynDNS header :) ).

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
A few technical issues this week have killed off the automatic DJ, so there will be periods of time between scheduled shows when the radio will be silent and bounce connections with an ICY 401 message.

I should have it resolved soon. Now, where did I put that sledgehammer?

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The above problem has been resolved, and the auto DJ is back up. :)

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Big, huge, spur-of-the-moment type news!

http://www.orbiterradio.com/ is now ours (well, mine)!

I've spent most of the night moving stuff around and getting everything with the new site working like it did on the old site, and it's all set up now. I've knocked together a simple starter page, which will show the stream status and the current song, etc, as well as some links to the old stream page, the Orbiter Radio forums, the schedule, and the new request system.

That request system's inclusion was prompted partly by requests received while nobody but autoDJ was on air - it will allow users to request songs from the autodj bot without having to be on IRC. In addition, DJs can submit listings of all the songs they have (I will explain how to do this to all DJs soon enough) and those songs can be picked during a show.

The system doesn't seem to have scope for requesting a song not in the list, but should you want to do that, there's the old type of setup running too, which simply drops an email to [email protected].

This simple page should be replaced with something a little more full-featured, but no more complex - there will, however, be no web player to stream the radio from this page. This is due to an agreement I have with the server owners. There will of course always be a web player available at the old stream page, a link to which will remain on the new one.

I will use the forums there to make announcements of all things Orbiter Radio from now on, so you'd be well-advised to head on over there if you want to keep updated of what's going on with the station, but I will still throw updates in here from time to time (to leech listeners off OF's traffic, of course ;) ).

As always, happy orbiting, and thanks to everyone for making all this hard work worth every minute. o7

Chipstone306

Reaction score
Thank You

Great link! I have now bookmarked it. Some of the tunes played I havent heard for a long time. A lot of B sides which is good to hear! So the request form does work? The sound quality is perfect as well! Keep up the good work .

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The request system works in two ways, and it depends on who's playing. I'm planning on making an article over on the radio forums about it, but I'll explain in brief;

When a DJ is broadcasting and has uploaded a playlist, you will be able to see the songs they have on the request system. Simply hit the request button, and the DJ will be sent a message in IRC with the details of your request. This makes sure they have the song you're after, etc.

If you're hankering after hearing a particular song and the DJ doesn't have it, I exported the email-based form from the old stream page for that purpose - simply type in the title and artist of any song you want to hear, your name, dedication, etc, and your email, and an email will be sent to the orbiter radio email account.

Note that not all DJs accept requests and as yet, nobody has uploaded a playlist. If the DJ isn't taking requests, you should be notified of that when attempting to request with the new system. If they haven't uploaded a playlist, then you won't see any files to request, but you can always use the email based route instead.

When the autostream is active (Show entitled "DJ Jolene's Request Show", see the IRC channel for reasons why >.>), the playlist display will appear no different. However, the bot has no free will - she cannot go off and find songs which she does not already have, nor will she refuse to play a request. The upshot of it is, that while the autostream is active, you will only be able to request songs in the playlist.

That playlist is currently just over 5000 songs and represents a hefty whack of my personal collection. More is added to it frequently, but the list will only be updated once every week.

You may also only make one request of the system within 60 seconds. This is to prevent flooding of the bot, server, and connections therein.

Hope that explained it clearly enough.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 ----------

I've finished reconfiguring the IRC webclient to the new site, and added a link to the main page for it. Join us in IRC at http://www.orbiterradio.com/chat !

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
All of IRC bots have been reconfigured as per the announcement over on the radio forums. In addition, I have set up a geordi C++ eval bot which runs in channel under the surprisingly original nick of ... geordi.

Feel free to pop in and give him some code to compile. :p

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
A little update over here - Radio is still alive and perfectly healthy, but I am not. As such, there will be no Trainwreck Radio on Monday, as I have a hospital appointment which I believe will render me unable to speak for a while afterwards.