Internet Orbiter Internet Radio

Would you like to listen or broadcast on Orbiter-Radio

• I don't want to do either! Leave me alone!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I have set up Orbiter Internet Radio, an internet radio station for Orbinauts (and others) to tune in and listen to while they fly, code, write, tidy or whatever.

The stream can be found here.

When there's no human DJ, there is Auto DJ, which plays from a limited set of music (which can be controlled from the OR IRC). Occasionally DJs will use this space for connectivity tests.

Tune in and enjoy, I really hope you do.

Last edited:

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I would use it if it were available.

But how about making an MFD that works with Pandora, Slacker or some similar service, instead of doing it from scratch?

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I would use it if it were available.

But how about making an MFD that works with Pandora, Slacker or some similar service, instead of doing it from scratch?
How about an MFD to play musics from your HDD?

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm talking more about having our own station, providing our own content. For instance, as was suggested to me just now, things like current NASA mission updates and the like.

An MFD for in-orbiter control would be an interesting project too, and something to look into.

Afterthought: I went to Pandora's website to see what it was, and got this, which makes it ineligible for the purpose at least;

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S.

And with Slacker:
Unfortunately, Slacker Personal Radio is currently only available in the United States. While we are working to extend our licenses to other parts of the world, at this time we can only play music to our listeners within the United States.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Interesting idea. I'm certainly up for helping out and I've got a friend who has done this before so I can ask her about costs and things.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wait, Pandora has a website?

I thought it just had an Eywa.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I am considering setting up an internet radio service for Orbinauts. However since the thing requires effort, effort and a little bit of cash, I'd like to probe the general interest level first.

So my question to OF as a whole, whoever of you decide to answer is twofold;

1. Would you listen to such a thing?
2. Which of you can / would be interested in DJ'ing on it?

The Spartans say "Aye"! hehe

Seriously now, if the broadcast is similar to this forum's "spirit", i'd definetely prefer to listen to that, instead of the usual "News and traffic" broadcast i listen on my way to work.

After reading this thread i typed : "the cost of running an internet radio station" on Google search and this is the first link that popped up:
http://www.korokithakis.net/tutorials/icecast

I have absolutely no idea how this could be implemented in an MFD for Orbiter, but in my opinion, it would be absolutely amazing! Opening the Radio/MP3 panel and having the "Listen to Orbiter-radio" button to press, on my way to Saturn!

Hope my post helps and i'm standing 100% by this effort of yours Xyon.

Respect

Dimitris.

EDIT: Hope this isn't an April Fool's joke!:lol:

Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I don't intend for it to be a "News and Travel" thing, no, just music and general DJ'ing nonsense, perhaps some competitions, and updates on real life space missions if there is one going on at present. Since after the whole launch thing, the space mission updates slow down a lot, I can see it meshing in quite well, for instance some key stage updates on Discovery's flight later in the year could be done with minimal interruption.

I've already looked at broadcasting technology and theoretically could run the server off my machine for free, but depending on the number of listeners my bandwidth would fill up very quickly. However I have looked into alternatives and found affordable ones, so outsourcing seems to be the way to go.

The main players as far as server software platforms go in this field seem to be Shoutcast DNAS and Icecast. I don't see much between the two, but while there's a choice, I'm open to hearing some non-warry opinions on which is the superior product, if either is.

As for the software used to broadcast, that's up to the respective DJ, so long as it works, I don't care.

As I see it (and I have not looked into the MFD at all), the MFD would simply need to be able either to play music off it's own back, perhaps through OrbiterSound, or be a through-link to an existing music player, with the server's address set as the default (Configurable for end-users of course, hardcoding is baaaad). As for difficulty of implementation, I have no idea yet, but I'll look into it over the long weekend.

I'm not adverse to funding this provided it gets used. dgatsoulis, mind clarifying what you see as "this forum's "spirit""? I'd be interested to see how compatible our trains of thought are.

Another afterthought because I missed Garyw's post: You'd be more than welcome mate. And any info is helpful, pile it in here, message me in IRC, email me, whatever. :)

Last edited:

Pablo49

Reaction score
I'm very much interested in this. I'm very very very into music, and having space news and such with that would be pretty awesome. I'd also probably kill a living man to have that as an MFD, and I'm not even sure if I'm kidding. :p

I'd also be willing to DJ, or anything like that.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
EDIT: Hope this isn't an April Fool's joke!

In retrospect, I should perhaps have waited till April 2nd to post that, but it was after noon when I did it. It's no April fool, I promise.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Since after the whole launch thing, the space mission updates slow down a lot, I can see it meshing in quite well, for instance some key stage updates on Discovery's flight later in the year could be done with minimal interruption.
Well, you could fill the 'news' part with info about launches & updates of most of this kind of activity around the world instead of focusing only on the Shuttle. I don't know the frequency of these updates, worldwide, though.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yes, Discovery was only an example. I doubt covering every space mission would be feasible, but major ones like Soyuz and Proton as well as what NASA are doing should be scalable pretty readily.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not adverse to funding this provided it gets used. dgatsoulis, mind clarifying what you see as "this forum's "spirit""? I'd be interested to see how compatible our trains of thought are.

To me, this Forum is: Fun, educational and mind-stimulating.

EDIT: I'd be more than happy to make my small contribution (come up with a few bucks) for such a project!
Wish i had some DJ skills, but unless the audience is interested in listening to Greek pop music :lol:, i think i'll contribute to this in another way!

Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, Ok. I have set up a tentative live test running off this rig to see how feasible I can do this under the no-cost umbrella. I've done my best to check with my ISP and what have you, so...

http://xcc.thruhere.net:8000

Let's see if what I've got at the minute works, first of all.

Pablo49

Reaction score
I can connect, but I haven't heard anything. This is with VLC player and itunes. I'll try again with winamp here in a sec.

Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I've noted some issues with trying to listen via VLC, but assumed it was due to the local server thing.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I've noted some issues with trying to listen via VLC, but assumed it was due to the local server thing.

Tried stream64.mp3.m3u with Windows Media Player. Doesn't work. (Windows Vista)

Tried stream64.mp3.xspf with VLC Player, i get the title of the song (excellent choice btw!) but it still doesn't play. What am i doing wrong?

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
OK, I've changed a little, due to some incompatibilities I noted.

24 Kbps: http://xcc.thruhere.net:8000
64 Kbps: http://xcc.thruhere.net:9000

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

Tried stream64.mp3.m3u with Windows Media Player. Doesn't work. (Windows Vista)

Tried stream64.mp3.xspf with VLC Player, i get the title of the song (excellent choice btw!) but it still doesn't play. What am i doing wrong?

Most likely nothing, I changed the server around due to incompatibility with WMP, try it again and see. A friend has been checking out a chipmunk infesting the 24Kbps line.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
64 Kbps worked nicely for me! On the 24 Kbps i got some... "lag?" (fragmented audio... pauses every couple of secs)
On this link: 64 Kbps: http://xcc.thruhere.net:9000 I'm listening to Orbiter Radio!!!:thumbup:

Was that your voice after the Guns 'n Roses song?

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yeah, probably, it won't have been anyone else's!

It's a crappy in-monitor microphone at the minute, I need a headset.

According to my output monitor, though, the bandwidth is actually twice what I configured it for, which is odd. I'm looking into it... enjoy the hold music.