Orbiter-Forum iPhone shortcut

Dickie

Wannabe Rocket Scientist
Donator
Reaction score
After wanting an actual icon for my OF shortcut on my iPhone, I found this website and created a new shortcut with a proper icon:

http://webclipicons.info/link.php?id=SpEKWyYtd

I just thought it might be useful to any other iPhone-using-Orbinauts out there! If you are unsure how to add it to your desktop, just open the link above on your iPhone, press the little button at the bottom of Safari (looks like an arrow coming out of a box) and select "Add to Home Screen" and a nice shiny new OF icon should appear!

:cheers:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
That's handy as I've just got the default "screengrab" of the webpage as my icon. Now if only the forum supported a decent mobile theme that didn't have tiny writing and was easier to use on a touchscreen smartphone.

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Here's a guide to making it for the website itself (so that it's done automatically for all iOS users). Maybe someone who's a server admin (Vash/Tex) could add this?

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

... and maybe we could get a better icon that that blocky one?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Now if only the forum supported a decent mobile theme that didn't have tiny writing and was easier to use on a touchscreen smartphone.

That's why we installed Tapatalk. Unfortunately it requires you buy the app for your phone to use it.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Also - while logged in on the mobile skin you can change to any of the desktop skins, if your smartphone can handle it. I use the same style mobile as I do at my desktop, and it works very well.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What would be ideal would be an option in Safari for iOS that you could select what browser is reported to the server. I used to see the full version of the site back when I was carrying a Blackberry Torch because it has an option to report that the browser is IE.

**EDIT** Mercury Web Browser (Free in the App Store) appears to have this functionality and is showing the full site.

Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
That's why we installed Tapatalk. Unfortunately it requires you buy the app for your phone to use it.
<Aside>This is where I hate the app store. There is no trial option. If I compare it to buying something like a shirt: When I buy a shirt, I can walk into the shop and try it on to see if I like it. You can't do this with the app store. You get shown a discription of it and a couple of screenshots and have to make your decision there. This is very much like ordering a shirt mail-order. You get a few photos of it and order it. Except that with the shirt, when it gets sent to you - if it doesnt' fit or you don't like it you can send it back and get your money back. There is no option for this for the app store. You have to take it on faith that it will do what you want and not be annoying before shelling out your money and if you don't like it then you've lost your money. A lot of apps have 'free versions' that are limited/add supported that you can use as a trial and then upgrade if you like it. Apps like these are the only ones that I have bought from the App store.

I am trying to find a uPnP media player that can stream videos from my MythTV setup to my iPhone. I've tried about 6 free/ad-supported ones and non of them work with Myth. There are many more that are payware, but with no guarantee that they work or do what I want them to do I could shell out about £30 on various ones and still end up with nothing that works. I'd like to see whether Tapatalk is worth the £2 to browse the forum easier on my mobile, but without trying it for myself I have no way to know and I don't want to pay full price to try it as I hate that kind of forced marketing and would rather punch them in the back of the head than bow to their arsehole marketing strategies.

Given the App store/iOS is locked down* you'd have thought they could easily and securely implement a trial feature. But then again, this would reduce the number of purchases made on faith and thus their profit, so why would they bother? Making money by screwing customers over looks better in the board room than pleasing customers.

*Ignoring jailbreaks, where you can get full versions of all the apps for free anyway.

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I assume this works for iPod touch aswell?

On a side note tapa talk works really well. Thanks for installing it guys :)

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
<Aside>This is where I hate the app store. There is no trial option.

Well as I'm using Android I can't say if its the same with iphones, but when you buy an app, you can try it and if you don't like it you can easily get a refund within 15 minutes of purchase. The buy button on the apps page will say "Refund" during this period.

BTW, I'm posting with Tapatalk now.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Well as I'm using Android I can't say if its the same with iphones, but when you buy an app, you can try it and if you don't like it you can easily get a refund within 15 minutes of purchase. The buy button on the apps page will say "Refund" during this period.
Unfortunately not for Apple devices. Apple doesn't like the idea of giving the users their money back once they've got their grubby little mitts on it.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So far I'm liking the free Mercury web browser on the iPhone. I'm using it to write this post in fact. I'll attach a screenshot soon.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 8
  • photo2.PNG
    photo2.PNG
    59.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Unfortunately not for Apple devices. Apple doesn't like the idea of giving the users their money back once they've got their grubby little mitts on it.

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad I went for Android in the end for many reasons which this now makes yet another.