Orbiter demotivators

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Okay I don't want to add to the thread derailment, but this is how I (and presumably some others) see it:

Yes, I know that they were originally parodies of corporate motivational posters. That's pretty funny. Then they became a vehicle for memes or unrelated jokes, also pretty funny, yet they're still called demotivational posters because they resemble the original ones. This is not a big deal, at all.

Did you not find any of the "unqualified" demotivationals in this topic funny? Did you not find any of the "unqualified" demotivationals on the Internet funny? Even if you didn't, can you at least understand how others might?

If at least SOME people MIGHT find it funny, then it's worth posting, "qualifications" notwithstanding.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Did you not find any of the "unqualified" demotivationals in this topic funny? Did you not find any of the "unqualified" demotivationals on the Internet funny? Even if you didn't, can you at least understand how others might?

No, yes (occasionally), and finally, no, quite frankly.

Thread derailment ceased, I'll leave you all alone now. I've expressed my opinion on the matter.

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
Okay I don't want to add to the thread derailment, but this is how I (and presumably some others) see it:

Yes, I know that they were originally parodies of corporate motivational posters. That's pretty funny. Then they became a vehicle for memes or unrelated jokes, also pretty funny, yet they're still called demotivational posters because they resemble the original ones. This is not a big deal, at all.

If at least SOME people MIGHT find it funny, then it's worth posting, "qualifications" notwithstanding.

I tend to agree with you. The Demotivator has strayed far from it's roots, becoming something more like a way to make captions for funny pictures(they're still referred to as Demotivators because it's what they've always been called.That and it's easier to say Demotivator in conversation than funny picture cation thingy) .
But does that make them any less funny?

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
No, yes (occasionally), and finally, no, quite frankly..

I do agree with you that the vast majority of the ones on the Internet (this topic included) are pretty subpar; however, I feel that not understanding how somebody with a different sense of humor than yours is closed-minded.

I tend to agree with you. The Demotivator has strayed far from it's roots, becoming something more like a way to make captions for funny pictures(they're still referred to as Demotivators because it's what they've always been called.That and it's easier to say Demotivator in conversation than funny picture cation thingy) .
But does that make them any less funny?

Exactly. I find that the percentage of genuinely funny ones (however small it's always been) hasn't gone down just because the "genre" has expanded.

Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I do agree with you that the vast majority of the ones on the Internet (this topic included) are pretty subpar; however, I feel that not understanding how somebody with a different sense of humor than yours is closed-minded.

Partly why I deigned to leave the discussion where it was ten minutes ago, but very well;

You asked if I could "understand" how others would find something funny which I do not. That's the fundamental element of having different senses of humour; it's impossible to understand that concept. That's the whole point of the term "sense of humour". So either your usage of the word "understand" was mistaken, or I misinterpreted what you meant by the question.

I pride myself on being as open-minded as is possible for me to be, and if not, to attempt to become so. And, by your own argument, your seeming incapacity to understand how I could not find something funny which you do makes you close-minded as well.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Partly why I deigned to leave the discussion where it was ten minutes ago, but very well;

You asked if I could "understand" how others would find something funny which I do not. That's the fundamental element of having different senses of humour; it's impossible to understand that concept. That's the whole point of the term "sense of humour". So either your usage of the word "understand" was mistaken, or I misinterpreted what you meant by the question.

I pride myself on being as open-minded as is possible for me to be, and if not, to attempt to become so. And, by your own argument, your seeming incapacity to understand how I could not find something funny which you do makes you close-minded as well.

Yeah, I meant understanding as a sort of level of abstraction between finding something funny and seeing how somebody could find something funny, within reason. For example (and this is very highly subjective, so bear with me) I could understand how somebody finds (for the sake of argument) Dane Cook funny, even if I disliked him. However, if somebody were to find the Holocaust truly and genuinely funny, then I really would not be able to understand it.

Perhaps understanding was the wrong word. I guess empathy might be a little more appropriate?

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK honestly if you don't find the thread amusing, then simply go away. Stop ruining the fun for the rest of us. Stop trolling.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
OK honestly if you don't find the thread amusing, then simply go away. Stop ruining the fun for the rest of us. Stop trolling.

I was already doing so, since you clearly didn't read more than the last two posts. And I don't troll. ;)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry for derailing the thread, folks. Let's let the personal stuff stop lest I get yelled at by the mod team for starting trouble.

Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Sorry for derailing the thread, folks. Let's let the personal stuff stop lest I get yelled at by the mod team for starting trouble.

You may have sparked the discussion, but it was perpetuated by the posts I made as well. Let's keep to demotivators of whatever sort in here and leave it at that. :lol:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh my god.

Well, you know you're in good company when your forum mates engage in a serious two-page debate over what does or does not constitute 'amusing.'

Cheers, mates. :cheers:

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score

O-F Staff note: The attached image contains profanity. View at your own discretion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I noticed a lot of the images here still have Orbiter's yellow text display in the corners. Pressing 'I' in flight gets rid of that, if anyone wants some good uncluttered screenies.

abrigham

Reaction score
Decided to take a crack at this one myself... :cheers:

Attachments

• orbiter-demote1.jpg
    orbiter-demote1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 429

communist

Resident Crazy Person
Reaction score
i see that either you are new or are not active

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 AM ----------

is this good???

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I believe that at this point (pun intended), this is called for:

motivator75636508ea75a9.jpg

'Nuff said. :)

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score