Orbiter Craziness!

Wild Bama Boy

Reaction score
Something's gone haywire with my Orbiter...

1. Phobos and Deimos are gone...They're not orbiting Mars...Or the Sun. Look at the picture. (http://tinypic.com/r/n6ou81/3) Left MFD is Phobos' orbit around the sun. Right MFD is it's orbit around Mars. That's not right! Deimos is the same way. What's happened here? This happens in every scenario.

2. Switching between cockpit and external views will move any spacecraft a little bit. Like...say I just undocked from the ISS in a DGIV. I switch from cockpit to external view, and the DGIV jumps away from the ISS. Speed increases every time F1 is pressed.

Another example of this, I'm orbiting the Earth and switch from external to cockpit view, on the orbit MFD I can see the circle representing my orbit around Earth shift ever-so-slightly. And it seems to affect all the other spacecraft in orbiter too. Moreso than it does mine. I can press it a few times, switch to the ISS for example, and its orbit as changed so much that it's set to reenter and crash into the Earth!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ORBITER!? #2 is driving me crazy!
And I hope I'm making sense. I'm a noob, yup. :p

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Has orbiter worked correctly in the past, and this is a new problem, or has it always been this way? Have you installed any addons? Have you tried installing orbiter in another directory, and running that version without changing any settings to see if that works? These are all important things to think about.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
#2 sounds very familiar. I believe this problem was solved recently for someone else. Try a search of the forum. There's a chance that #1 has a similar cause. (you may just need a few .dll files)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
MSCVCRT80.DLL I think. The G field being 0 is a dead giveaway. Forum search function will give you the answer.

Also, it would be worth pasting your computers specs.

Keatah

Reaction score
I had #2 and it was the outer-planets addon that caused it..!!

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got No.1 on my dad's laptop, but only under high time acceleration. I changed the view to see Martian north pole together with the moons. When I engaged time acceleration, the moons flew out of their orbits, but came back when acceleration got decreased again.

Fortunately, the problem was too amusing to fix :p

Mantis

Reaction score
Any Solution?

Hi Everyone,

I was an orbiter user for a long time but I got away from it for quite a while due to work and other obligations. I'm back at it now but experiencing exactly the same problem with the DGIV that the original poster describes - if I switch to external view, I get an instant massive time acceleration and everthing gets thrown all over the place. I've searched the forum with no luck and I've tried the solutions suggested here (both MSVCR71/MSVcP71 as well as MSVcR80/MSVCP80 and even both at the same time!) with no luck. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
I was having the same problem with a DGIV shooting off down or to the left any time I switched to the external view or deployed a cargo/UMMU, as well as getting a CTD whenever I'd detach a UMMU turbopack, and even other vessels having their orbital parameters changed whenever I'd switch views or change the FOV. Today I traced it back to two .dlls that were installed into the Orbiter root directory by the Deepstar 2.0 addon - satsat.dll and... Well, I don't remember what the other one was called, but they were the problem and deleting them fixed it completely without any effect on the Deepstar (that I could detect). I'm not sure what those .dlls were for (they may have been included by accident) but if anyone is still having these problems that might be another solution to try.