Orbiter beta 121129

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
New beta 121129 is available on orbithangar.com (for link see first post).

Amongst a few other things, I have worked on the Atlantis launch autopilot (this was necessary due to the new Atlantis implementation as a docked assembly). It should be a bit more realistic than the old system (no more fake RCS system for ascent attitude control. Everything is done by SSME and SRB gimballing. The Isp values for the SSMEs should now be realistic). I haven't implemented the OMS burns yet. The autopilot terminates at ET separation.

Maybe one of the experts from the SSU team might want to have a look at it and provide some criticism. I tried to optimise the launch profile, but don't quite seem to get the exactly same profile as published for the shuttle (the dip after the initial altitude maximum seems a bit too deep). For the profile optimisation I tried to maximise the area of the orbit at MECO, a^2 sqrt(1-e^2). Is there a better parameter to use as an objective function?

The autopilot is now implemented directly in the Atlantis code, rather than as a Lua script (although I want to allow users to modify its parameters via Lua). To access it, open the Atlantis function menu (Ctrl-Space) and select Launch autopilot.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
The new version works fine on Windows 7 x64, but on Linux/WINE the scenario description either doesn't load images (except for the successfully saved "current state"), or it locks up the Orbiter Launchpad window.

When I launch a stock scenario, it either crashes with "Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x0000000? in 32-bit code", or if it's loaded successfully, for example the Delta Glider lacks VC, there is complete chaos on the display and no surface of the planet displayed, no vessel meshes visible. An example:
CurrentState.jpg CurrentState_2.jpg

For Linux, I'll stay with 121103 for now, which worked completely fine.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Hm, that's a bit of a disappointment. I assume that the problems are caused by the inclusion of the embedded html viewer, which may very well make extensive use of windows-specific features.

I wonder if I can revert to the old scenario description if orbiter realises that it is running under WINE. Is there a way for a program to detect a Linux/WINE environment at runtime?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Amongst a few other things, I have worked on the Atlantis launch autopilot (this was necessary due to the new Atlantis implementation as a docked assembly). It should be a bit more realistic than the old system (no more fake RCS system for ascent attitude control. Everything is done by SSME and SRB gimballing. The Isp values for the SSMEs should now be realistic). I haven't implemented the OMS burns yet. The autopilot terminates at ET separation.

Maybe one of the experts from the SSU team might want to have a look at it and provide some criticism. I tried to optimise the launch profile, but don't quite seem to get the exactly same profile as published for the shuttle (the dip after the initial altitude maximum seems a bit too deep). For the profile optimisation I tried to maximise the area of the orbit at MECO, a^2 sqrt(1-e^2). Is there a better parameter to use as an objective function?

The autopilot is now implemented directly in the Atlantis code, rather than as a Lua script (although I want to allow users to modify its parameters via Lua). To access it, open the Atlantis function menu (Ctrl-Space) and select Launch autopilot.

Which scenario would that be ?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When I press contrl+space, I get the payloadbay doors, RMS, and cameras only. No launch control.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
I wonder if I can revert to the old scenario description if orbiter realises that it is running under WINE. Is there a way for a program to detect a Linux/WINE environment at runtime?
The easiest way is to check for presence of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine" or "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wine" keys in the registry.

Another way to revert to the old scenario description could be implemented as a "Debug" feature entry on the Extra tab, where the user could switch it on demand to the old or the new (with selected by default "auto-detect") option.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Hm, that's a bit of a disappointment. I assume that the problems are caused by the inclusion of the embedded html viewer, which may very well make extensive use of windows-specific features.

This may be my wishful thinking, but you could write the launcher itself in a platform independent, open source code, like in QT/wxWidgets, that have all those HTML features in place. This is the approach that I've taken in my other project - MDDClone-SDL, where I can't provide the source code of the game, but I do provide sources of the Launcher, written in wxWidgets.

Perhaps, if you agreed, somebody else could write such launcher for you, which would be of interest for Linux users, if you can keep the Wine compatibility of the simulator itself.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Got a small bug to report. Can't see MFD graphics and text. It's like they're turned off, when running in windowed mode. But everything is fine when in full-screen mode.

If this is a new bug I'll provide additional information. If it's known, then ok..

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

I gave this a try and here are my findings:

• Roll program was to the opposite azimuth that I specified (42.1°)
  • No SSME throttle down ("no in the bucket")
  • Came witin 1.5 km of maximum droop altitude (90 km) were the ET will overheat and overpressurize and explode
  • No 3G throttling at the end of ascent

I went over the specs of the default Atlantis and noticed quite a few inaccuracies:

• Orbiter dry mass (104326 kg). Should be 69709.5 kg for OV-104
  • Maximum thrust of the Block II SSME is 1852812 N at sea-level and 2278830 N in vacuum
  • Maximum OMS/RCS propellant mass should be 13415.4 kg
  • ET dry mass for SLWT should be 13415.4 kg
  • Maximum SLWT propellant mass should be 1599717 kg
  • SRB propellant mass should be 495000 kg and the dry mass should be 90000 kg

That concludes my findings.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe not a bug "per-se" but I have troubles importing pad 39 mesh from beta into any external app (mesh wizard, 3ds max) I wanted to set this structure that covers Shuttle before launch to opened position and use it in 2010-p1 as default Pad39 A and B.

Can someone import this file?

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
NG Orbiter not new (not build agains current API)

Hi martins,

could it be that the NG-Orbiter (Modules\Server\Orbiter.exe) was not re-build against the current API (OrbiterAPI.h)?

The exe still contains the 'old oapiGetWindVector declaration:
"union VECTOR3 oapiGetWindVector(void *,double,double,double,int)"​
not the current
"union VECTOR3 oapiGetWindVector(void *,double,double,double,int,double *)"​

When using a newly build Graphic-Client (D3D9Client) it fails with the message about not finding "?oapiGetWindVector@@YA?ATVECTOR3@@PAXNNNH@Z",
wich is true for the "NG Orbiter".

/Kuddel

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ah yes, I think that is possible. Sorry about that. I'll fix that for the next beta.
I can confirm rev. 10 has a working Orbiter_NG.exe (Modules\Server\Orbiter.exe).

Thanks,
Kuddel

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, martins!

I'm confused. How can I get the orbiter version 121129 with a orbiter version 100830 7z? And what kind of new features does a orbiter version 121129 have which the orbiter version 111105 don't have? Thanks! Orbitersim is just keep getting better and better!!

Cheers,
Vincent

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Hi, martins!

I'm confused. How can I get the orbiter version 121129 with a orbiter version 100830 7z? And what kind of new features does a orbiter version 121129 have which the orbiter version 111105 don't have? Thanks! Orbitersim is just keep getting better and better!!

Cheers,
Vincent

As mentioned here, orbiter betas are no longer distributed as 7z diff files, but via subversion at https://orbithangar.com/svn/orbiter/trunk. The latest beta is r12.

To get a list of new features and bug fixes, have a look at patch.txt. For anything that has changed after 2 December, you can also check the SVN logs.

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, Martins and Ripley!

Okay, got it! I'll give the new version a try! Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Bug confirmed: CallBack order

In previous Orbiter Version "clbkPostCreation" was called before "clbkLoadPanel" in anyway.
In the latest beta if the ship have the focus at start of Orbiter the call order is inverted.

As many ship count on the old call order to make initialisation this can cause a lot
of problems that we can't solve unless recompiling all the addons.
(Case of all ship compiled with OrbiterSound's SDK since years)

Is this still the case with the latest revision as I have no module called sounds appearing, and ctd when VC is called?

Beg pardon - just read this in patch.txt
* Reverted callback order: VESSEL::clbkPostCreation is now called
before VESSEL::clbkLoadPanel to restore 100830 convention

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

So where can I get help with all problems I have with operation of my addons with this beta+revisions?
Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

This is what I'm getting in Orbitersound.log
Code:
OrbiterSound 4.0 (3D) Build Nov 20 2012 01:00

Orbiter version: 130101
[COLOR="Red"]Error CoInitialize[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"](My color red)[/COLOR]
Advanced OrbiterSound settings: (Edit: 'Sound/cfg/Editable_Advanced_Configuration.cfg')
-------------------------------
Primary buffer			22050hz 16bits  (default 22050/16)
DopplerFactor			1.00		(default 1.00)
VaccumAttenuationFactor		1.00		(default 1.00)
SoundDistanceFactor		1.00		(default 1.00)
MaxSoundProcessPerSecond	60		(default 60)
MaxAnimCheckPerFrame		10		(default 10)
PlayWhenOrbiterInBackground	false		(default false)
WriteInLogAllLoadedSound	false		(default false)

Orbiter directory:  C:\Orbiter_beta2\
Listing planets winds and bases sounds:
  6 planet wind sound found
  4 bases sound found
Passed initModule - Ok
Attempting RenderViewport initialisation...
Attempting GetStartValue initialisation...
Passed GetStartValue - Ok
Initialising directsound...
   Sound hardware capabilities: Driver is certified.
   Maximum hardware mixing buffers: 33.
   Maximum hardware 3D buffers: 31. 
   Speaker configuration: stereo with wide (arc of 20 deg.) geometry  
   Attempt to create Primary buffer: 22050hz 16bits 3d: yes 
   3D primary buffer initialised OK
directsound initialised - OK
Passed RenderViewport - Ok
Attempting Mp3 initialisation...
M3U list found attempting loading it.
MP3 found in playlist =  1
Mp3 initialised - Ok
Focus changed attempting to load vessel wave
Info: Sound config found for class: J-F_35BB. 12 parameters set.
Focus changed load vessel wave - OK
Vessel J-F-35B requested an ID, returned= 0 OK 
Attempting to close viewport...
Attempting to kill DirectSound...
Wav files Statistics:
---------------------
Nbr of wav loaded during simulation: 60
Nbr of wav re-used from memory: 0 (not loaded from disk so not counted in wav loaded)
Max nbr of wav in memory in same time: 59
Nbr of wav failed to load: 0
Nbr of wav not unloaded at exit: 0
DirectSound killed - OK
Passed CloseRenderViewport - Ok
Exited to Orbiter Launchpad - OK

Passed ExitModule - Ok

Does that give anyone a clue?

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Solved sound - but still get ctd loading VC

Last edited:

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

New orbiter beta is looking good! Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent