Update Orbiter Base Maker 2.0 beta

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
February 20 update: Version 2.0.2 released.

I've updated OBM, and would like some testers.

The new version has some bug fixes, as well as new features.

Version 2.0.0 (and later) won't read base files from earlier versions of OBM (versions 1.X.X). If you are using an older version of OBM, install your bases into Orbiter (before installing OBM 2.0), and then import them into version 2.0.
FYI: the new base format is almost identical to Orbiters.

Biggest new feature is the ability to select multiple objects and move them/rotate them together.

To select more than one object, you can either:
1) use the "select" cursor by clicking the button shown below
2) click on a object while holding the "ctrl" key down
multi_select.jpg

Some more shortcuts:
ctrl-c: copy selected
ctrl-v: paste
ctrl-a: select all
ctrl-z: undo
ctrl-y: redo
up-down-left-right: moves selected objects

FYI: copy/pasting works between bases. For instance, you can open Olympus and copy it to the clipboard, then open Brighton Beach and paste it in.
brighton.jpg

Notes on 2.0.2:
OBM will remember some object-editor settings between sessions. Such as grid size, snap to, rotate by, show parameters and if you used a maximized window.

There's a "scale textures with buildings" option for some objects. This will set the u/v scale parameters of an object's texture based on the objects width and height.

You can add a Nav Beacon to a base, or edit the first nav beacon if the base already has one. This is done with the "Edit Nav Beacons" button in the base edit window (which now looks a little different, see below).

A new window will pop up that will allow you to edit the Nav Beacon ID and its frequency. If there were no beacons in the base to begin with, the position is automatically set to the base location.

edit_base.png

Attachments

• OBM2.0.2_installer.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Sure. I'll see how it behaves against the classic Orbiter Base Wizard from ar81. That one seems to disagree with a current project I'm working on, and I'm curious if this will yield better results.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Loved the last one so glad to give it a try

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
File in the first post is updated. There was bug in the first version. I've been working so long on copy/paste multiple objects, I missed a bug where a position change was added twice to new objects - resulting in objects being placed away from where one clicked to place them.

If you downloaded before this post appeared, you will have to install OBM2.0.1_install.zip

Last edited:

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Being able to see into a mesh makes lining up so very easy.
Have grandkids today (sat) will knock up a new base Sunday and report back.
( just knows its going to be good )

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, tried installing 2.0.1, and repeatedly got an arroro code of 2349. What's that mean?

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does the install give the error, or is it when you start OBM?

EDIT

Found this info:

http://community.flexerasoftware.co...3-Error-2349-Copy-Resumed-with-Different-Info

This is a Windows Installer (MSI) error. Here are the probable causes:-
1. It most commonly occurs because the CD is dirty or scratched.
2. This issue may also occur if you use a DVD or CD-RW drive

Perhaps it's a problem from installing it from within the .zip file? If so, try extracting it to your hard-drive first. If that doesn't fix the issue, maybe try downloading it again?

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It's the installer, and it's done it after two seperate downloads. I DID install 2.0.0 first, so could that be a conflict? If so, where are all the bits and pieces I need to delete?

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's the installer, and it's done it after two seperate downloads. I DID install 2.0.0 first, so could that be a conflict? If so, where are all the bits and pieces I need to delete?

Strange. The installer should have taken care of that. I will have to double check I updated it correctly.

To uninstall, you have to go to "uninstall programs" on your computer. This should be under "start"->"control panel"

In the "uninstall programs" window, it should be listed as "Orbiter Base Maker."

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, I already deleted (by "hand") all the files in the main orbiter100830 file that I could link definitively to the 2.0.0 install, and I still can't get it to run. Obviously, the 2.0.0 had no issues with installing on a USB flash drive, while 2.0.1 is. Could that make a difference?

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

Yeah, just tried again on a different computer. It's saying in the popup with the error that there's an issue with the installer package.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I installed the fix over the 2.0.0 with no issues!
running XP if that is of interest

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
If you deleted the installed files by hand, you should at least also delete the registry entry added by the installer (either by hand, or for example by using CCleaner, or some other installer cleanup utility).

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only difference I can think of, is the 2.0.0 installer was compiled on a different computer than the 2.0.1 installer.

If you want, you should be able to just copy the 2.0.1 exe right over top of the 2.0.0 version. OBM won't care.

Here's the 2.0.1 exe:
http://growlersoftware.com/users/OrbiterBaseMaker/OrbiterBaseMaker.zip

And to clarify some behind the scenes operation: Any files that were created after OBM is installed (the one's dealing with creating bases, or loading them into Orbiter), the installer/deinstaller won't even know about, so deleting them won't help. The files/registry entries that the installer cares about are some hidden Microsoft 'installed programs database' stuff that even I'm unaware of.

The MSI installers are nice in that your users won't come back and say: "it says I need some MFCxyz.dll." The MSI installer handles those dependencies.
The MSI installers suck for reasons shown here.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
If you deleted the installed files by hand, you should at least also delete the registry entry added by the installer (either by hand, or for example by using CCleaner, or some other installer cleanup utility).

I'm running on a USB Flash drive. Would that make a difference?

@csanders: I never ran 2.0.0. I simply installed it, then tried to run the 2.0.1 installer because I somehow thought that it was a patch, not a complete install. I redownloaded it from the link in the post above, and I'll try it out pronto.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I'm running on a USB Flash drive. Would that make a difference?
If you installed it there and not simply copied or extracted, then it's registered as installed in that location, and it doesn't matter whether it's a built-in hard drive or an external flash drive. You should try uninstalling it first, if the installer for the updated version doesn't want to work.

If previously installed files aren't present, because you either deleted them or disconnected the drive, and the uninstaller or installer for new version cannot be run because of that, you should clean up the registry from the installer entry before you will try to install it (either of versions) again (or if you want another instance installed in another location).

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good to hear.

I might have another update tomorrow. I've added the ability to add a NAV beacon to a base. If one already exists, one can edit its ID or Nav frequency.

Also added: total runway-light parameter support, including the D3D9 options.