Matte

Reaction score
Hello.
i've just switched from Windows to Mac OSX. i bought a MacBook
Intel Core 2 Duo
2,26 GHz
Memory: 2 GB
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

is there a way to run orbiter on this system with those specs?
thanks for answer...i'd like to go on building Thrton's ISS :D

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Orbiter is a windows-based program. While it may be possible to circumvent this using similar methods as Linux users, you'll have a struggle on your hands getting it to run.

Edit: It was suggested in IRC that you look into using BootCamp and dual-booting for best results.

Last edited:

MikeB

Reaction score
Mac + Orbiter: BootCamp

On my MacBook Pro, I have set up a 5GB BootCamp partition and installed Windows XP SP3, with hardly any applications. On an external drive (USB connection, though that doesn't matter) I have a number of Orbiter installation folders (different combinations of add-ons, etc.). I boot into Windows, and launch Orbiter. Everything just works, with high performance as you would expect. The only downside is logging out of Snow Leopard to boot into Windows.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Aside from BootCamp (which runs Windows natively), virtualization allows you to run Orbiter on Windows in a virtual machine alongside other programs (Mac, Windows, Linux, whatever). This can be more convenient since you don't have to exit Mac OS X, but there are problems. Performance is not very good (I'm lucky if I get 30 FPS); this is probably due to drivers in Parallels Desktop that don't take full advantage of the underlying graphics hardware. I also haven't been able to get sound working. I've tried VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox, but haven't been able to get Orbiter to run in either.

Matte

Reaction score
On my MacBook Pro, I have set up a 5GB BootCamp partition and installed Windows XP SP3, with hardly any applications. On an external drive (USB connection, though that doesn't matter) I have a number of Orbiter installation folders (different combinations of add-ons, etc.). I boot into Windows, and launch Orbiter. Everything just works, with high performance as you would expect. The only downside is logging out of Snow Leopard to boot into Windows.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Aside from BootCamp (which runs Windows natively), virtualization allows you to run Orbiter on Windows in a virtual machine alongside other programs (Mac, Windows, Linux, whatever). This can be more convenient since you don't have to exit Mac OS X, but there are problems. Performance is not very good (I'm lucky if I get 30 FPS); this is probably due to drivers in Parallels Desktop that don't take full advantage of the underlying graphics hardware. I also haven't been able to get sound working. I've tried VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox, but haven't been able to get Orbiter to run in either.

that one seems a good solution. but if and when i'd like to eliminate my Windows partition with all it's content from my laptop?

MikeB

Reaction score
Apple's Boot Camp Assistant guides you through the creation or removal of Boot Camp partitions. It's very easy. Of course, for peace of mind, you should backup the hard drive first. However, the creation of the new partition doesn't require you to log off or reboot. Maybe it's too easy, because it can be tempting to skip the backup after you've done it a few times.

The only difficulty I had was creating the Boot Camp partition when the disk was too full and some large files were in the way. The utility told me to backup and restore the drive, then try again; it then worked without a hitch. This only happened once, out of four or five times I've done it (for different purposes and partition sizes). Removing the Boot Camp partition is equally easy. The whole process is so easy that it encourages you to try different partition sizes until you get a configuration that suits your needs. I like to keep the Orbiter folders on an external drive to minimize the impact on my hard drive (i.e., smaller Boot Camp partition).

Nearly forgot: be sure you have the right version of Windows before you start. I think it won't work with versions older than Windows XP SP2.

Matte

Reaction score
Apple's Boot Camp Assistant guides you through the creation or removal of Boot Camp partitions. It's very easy. Of course, for peace of mind, you should backup the hard drive first. However, the creation of the new partition doesn't require you to log off or reboot. Maybe it's too easy, because it can be tempting to skip the backup after you've done it a few times.

The only difficulty I had was creating the Boot Camp partition when the disk was too full and some large files were in the way. The utility told me to backup and restore the drive, then try again; it then worked without a hitch. This only happened once, out of four or five times I've done it (for different purposes and partition sizes). Removing the Boot Camp partition is equally easy. The whole process is so easy that it encourages you to try different partition sizes until you get a configuration that suits your needs. I like to keep the Orbiter folders on an external drive to minimize the impact on my hard drive (i.e., smaller Boot Camp partition).

Nearly forgot: be sure you have the right version of Windows before you start. I think it won't work with versions older than Windows XP SP2.

yeah i read about it. let's say i have to install just the Operative System with drivers, then orbiter and the space shuttle and ISS by thorton. how much space do you suggest me for that partition?

MikeB

Reaction score
I just checked mine and found that it's 6.3 GB, not 5 GB as I said before; memory is a funny thing.

With Windows XP SP3 and a 2 GB PAGEFILE.SYS file, I have about 500 MB free space. The only apps are VLC and a Zip-file utility. My external Orbiter folders take up nearly 7 GB (includes tutorials, videos, etc.). If I wanted to put everything in the Boot Camp partition, I would need at least 15, say 20 GB with some room for future needs.

I suppose that newer versions of Windows need more space. I would be interested to hear how this works out for you. Please post your results, and of course any further questions.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

I forgot to mention: I use an external keyboard with Orbiter, as the laptop keyboard doesn't have the numeric keypad, etc. I think you can use any USB keyboard in Boot Camp.