Update Orbiter Add-on manager BETA 3

luki1997a

Reaction score
Orbiter Add-on manager BETA 3 is now out!

Screenshots
management.PNG

files.PNG

config.PNG

addonmanagerbeta2scrn3.PNG

log.PNG

editor.PNG

contex.png

New features:
-Installation logs
-Key direcory(root of files in add-on folder)
-Bug fixes
-opening files, which are going to be replaced and editing them
-option to edit .cfg files(config editor)
-BIG performance boost(1000%)!!!

Planned features for RC1:
-Bug fixes(if any)
-Option to install RAR/Folder(maybe)
-Features requested by users!

RC1 completion: 0%
Believe me, writing this program takes a long time...
For example rename function took me 3-4 hrs

Ideas for new name are welcome ;)

This version should be most stable. Please, if you can, tell me what i have to correct, beacause I want to release it before new Orbiter patch come out.

If you see any mistakes in the program(langauge too), please post it here.

Hope you like it
:hailprobe:

Attachments

• Addonmanagerbeta3.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
I *personally* dislike installers and such utilities in general. However this looks like it has good potential to be useful, actually.

Regarding this statement:
"I've made an Add-on manager, which can:
-install an add-on(currently only Zip format)
-make a backup of original file, if it's replaced by add-on one
-uninstall an add-on including restoring backups
-read readme files(all *.txt and *.pdf)"

Let me ask this - how deep can it recurse? I mean how many versions of Launch MFD can you back in and out of? Including backups and everything of course.

What about versioning details? Records of what was installed..
And what happens when a directory in a zip file is named slightly different, like DOC vs. DOCS vs. ADDON-DOCS ?? and can it maintain version lists and backups whilst keeping those directory names straight?

Will this clearly and concisely manage add-ons dependent on other add-ons?

Since I have a comprehensive and complex set-up right now, can I get right into using this? Or does it need to build a database from the get-go with a blank stock orbiter setup?

These are key things any good installer and manager will need.

Finally, regarding "It's not recommended to use it with your Orbiter installation as it is still Beta"..
What's the point? IMHO (in my harsh opinion) add-ons and utilities need to be functional and ready to use. Forget all this beta crap. It does nothing for me. Beta is good if it's in active development and marked as such.

I personally have gotten away from trying beta things, except as a preview of what's to come. Otherwise to me it's useless.

Last edited:

luki1997a

Reaction score
Let me ask this - how deep can it recurse? I mean how many versions of Launch MFD can you back in and out of? Including backups and everything of course.

Currently you can make only 1 backup of an add-on. If you install later version, it will only overwrite files excluding making backups of them.

What about versioning details? Records of what was installed..

Will be implemented in the future. You always can edit add-on name when you install it.

And what happens when a directory in a zip file is named slightly different, like DOC vs. DOCS vs. ADDON-DOCS ?? and can it maintain version lists and backups whilst keeping those directory names straight?

Add-on manager simply unpacks files, so if folder name should be DOCS, but it's name is DOC, then you will have 2 of them(it will be just copied).
The problem is only when zip structure is not like ZIP -> DOCS, TEXTURES etc. but ZIP -> FOLDER -> DOCS,TEXTURES, because folder named FOLDER will be unpacked

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
And what about those addons requiring manual editing of some text files?

luki1997a

Reaction score
BETA 2

Hi all again! There's a candidate version for BETA 2:
http://gg.pl/dysk/t_MOI1ljkma9YOytvMOI1maAME/addonmanagerbeta2.zip
(press "Pobierz" on this site)
You only have to check if it works and then I'll release it officially(update first post etc.)

New features:
-help
-built-in addons.cfg editing
-installing only selected files
-delete/restore single or selected files
-new UI

Planned features for BETA 3:
-Installation logs
-Key direcory(root of files in add-on folder)
-Bug fixes
-opening files, which are going to be replaced and editing them
-option to edit .cfg files

Hope you like it :hailprobe:

Last edited:

luki1997a

Reaction score
You mean it's working for you:)?

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

First post has been updated to newest version

---------- Post added 05-20-12 at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-19-12 at 11:32 PM ----------

Little update:
Fixed bug that causes application to not start on some PCs

luki1997a

Reaction score
It is much easier to use with Orbiter. Also it can do a lot work for you in shorter time ;)

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe:
Search in the addon's readme/doc for custom strings (add*on require*) for required addons, search for them in orbiter hangar (internet conneciton required), and post the links in a popup warning offering to preinstall them, also remember if the required addons have not been installed and popup everytime you open the program as a remainder (it could maybe also check if orbiter.exe is launched to popup same message).
can you post also a picture with Management tab?
Best addon manager so far. :thumbup:

luki1997a

Reaction score
There would be too much work, to search for required add-ons automatically, but it would be easier, to search for URLs. I don't know about automatic downloading and installing. It is possible, user would have to download the add-on and then manually install it. But I'll try to look at it.

Thank you for this good idea:thumbup:
Added screenshot of management tab

To all:
I've found a bug w/ key directory function. Don't use it until next release. I'm sorry for that.

EDIT:
Good news! It's possible to download and install an add-on from Orbit Hangar :) I'm working on RAR and Folder installation now ;)

Last edited:

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Very small bug: There are unhandled exceptions if either .cfg's (Sol, Base, etc) are missing from a Orbiter folders (Config Tab). I know they should always be there but also the exception should be handled. Also, the big Save button from Config Tab (btw, why so big?) gives an unhandled exception if there's nothing to save.
An issue: I can't resize the window, specially in the Managment tab should be able to resize the "Add-ons" list, all tabs to resize the main window.
A request: In Management Tab, "Files" list, to switch view from files details style (like size, last edited date, etc) (windows explorer style) to a list style (like the one it is now)
Another request: version of installed addon (if known) in add-on list
PS I would love to see also a Docs Tab with readmes and docs grupped by addons, to check help files for the addon I'm about to install or have installed and/or an Open button (with whatever program windows assigned to it) for the checked item/s

Last edited:

quijote

Reaction score
Website
orbiter.es
Sorry
I pray to you, don´t look the audacity of this newbie and my poor English.
Although it´s difficult for me write on English, I find your work very interesting and I want to contribute something to you
I always use to manage JSGME MODS, but your idea seems very good.
However I think some things I would improve:
1) Locate the zip in a single repository, not in the root directory of orbiter
2) Add tags and personal notes to MODS
3) Register MODS that we have not yet, but we hope to include
With the last requirement we can set relactions between MODS without having to analyze the text requirements in Orbit Hangar.
I hope you may do some good with these ideas, if not, no problem
Regards

luki1997a

Reaction score
Very small bug: There are unhandled exceptions if either .cfg's (Sol, Base, etc) are missing from a Orbiter folders (Config Tab). I know they should always be there but also the exception should be handled. Also, the big Save button from Config Tab (btw, why so big?) gives an unhandled exception if there's nothing to save.

Will be fixed. Gonna resize this big button ;P

An issue: I can't resize the window, specially in the Managment tab should be able to resize the "Add-ons" list, all tabs to resize the main window.

This is not an issue. I've made this window not resizeable to prevent from graphical bugs. I have never made a program as functional as this one, I mostly operate on code, making this window resizeable would be difficult, but I'll try to implement it.

A request: In Management Tab, "Files" list, to switch view from files details style (like size, last edited date, etc) (windows explorer style) to a list style (like the one it is now)

Hmm... Also difficult. I'll try to implement it too.

Another request: version of installed addon (if known) in add-on list

Couldn't you just write add-on version in it's name in installation tab? If you install Addon.zip which version is 1.00, Add-on name automatically becomes "Addon.zip" but you can change it to "Addon.zip ver. 1.00" :)

PS I would love to see also a Docs Tab with readmes and docs grupped by addons, to check help files for the addon I'm about to install or have installed and/or an Open button (with whatever program windows assigned to it) for the checked item/s

You can arleady open add-on files. Just right click on item(currently only at installtion tab) you want to open and press Edit, like on last screenshot in the 1st post.

Docs tab.. Your ideas are great, but difficult to make :) Don't worry, I'll try to do this too, but I think it won't be in the next release.

quijote's turn

1) Locate the zip in a single repository, not in the root directory of orbiter
2) Add tags and personal notes to MODS
3) Register MODS that we have not yet, but we hope to include

1) I don't understand what you mean. If you mean, that add-ons would be installed in another directory, than Orbiter root, then it's very very very difficult.
2) Hmmm tags and personal notes.. good idea ;) I'll try to implement it.
3) It could be at notes tab, which would contain TODO list

Thank you for your ideas :)

At the time I can say, what I'm working on now. It's RAR and Folder installation. It could take some time(about a week) to implement. I've added function to download add-ons from orbithangar.com and direct links(like xyz.com/add-on.zip).

I can add these things you requested to next release:
-Notes and Docs tabs
-Maybe tags and notes

The rest of features must wait to next release, or not, if you want me to release next ver. At summer holidays :)

quijote

Reaction score
Website
orbiter.es
1) I don't understand what you mean. If you mean, that add-ons would be installed in another directory, than Orbiter root, then it's very very very difficult.

Sorry for not explaining it well
I wanted to say "store" Zip files outside of the orbiter's main directory.
For example JSGME, it make a folder MODS for AddOn
Come on, your work is very interesting :thumbup:

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score