Orbital math/tiny object orbits - questions

tony

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.gravitysimulator.com
I just tried 2 golf balls (0.046 kg each) orbiting each other in Earth orbit with an SMA of 100,000 km. Their orbits are chaotic due to Earth's presence, but they complete a few orbits. Beyond 100,000 km, they're probably pretty stable. The period of their orbit around each other is about 8 hours. This is all consistent with their computed combined Hill Sphere of about 17 cm while at 100,000 km from Earth.
golf2.GIF

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Ooooooh, curious. In other news, and relating to a few of the previous posts, I found out something very curious about Phobos, and was just wondering if anyone else had the same "problem":

The surface of Phobos in Orbiter isn't solid. There is, however, an invisible solid sphere below the surface.

I was using Burch's Pod 3.0 at the time, and I just went strait through the "surface", then bounced off something that I assume is a sphere. As stated above, it's not visible.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
If you are asking if Phobos is supposed to have spherical 'collision detection', then yes, it happens with everyone... at least until Artlav interferes. ;)