Old Orbiteer, new to the forum

Siliconaut

Reaction score
Hi All!

I've been using Orbiter since I discovered it's original implementation back in early 2001 and it's one of maybe a half dozen programs that has had an essentially permanent home on my hard drive for the last 10 years.

I fondly have spent many, many hours and days manuvering the DeltaGlider around the Solar System using (by today's Orbiter Standards) only the most basic and primitive of MFD nav aids. No IMFD, No handy DGIV autopilots, nothing but a barely understood TransX and a prayer that I don't wind up somewhere in interstellar space.

I remember the thrill I got the first time I made a successful interplanetary insertion, approach and arrival at Mars. The same thrill the first time I made it to Jupiter and managed to make a tour of all the Galilean Moons. IMFD makes these manuvers a snap, but up until then doing anything but basic LEO manuvers was a mind bending challenge using the instruments available then.

Dan Steph's DGIV is without a doubt my favorite vehicle. The detail is just stunning and I can't believe that all these talented people put in so many hours of work to create all these wonderful addons that have kept me entertained for over a decade now.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, hello, how are ya and introduce myself to the forum.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
:welcome:

Have fun with Orbiter, the DG disposal is to your right. To your left is the UMMU memorial, press the right big toe to gain access to the crypt.
:cheers:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum, Siliconaut.

Siliconaut

Reaction score
Thanks all,

Are there any other experienced users from the "old days" of Orbiter? LOL The stories that could be shared!

Like the time TransX calculated a path to Jupiter for me that I duly followed only to realize, to my shock and terror as Jove is filling my windscreen quite rapidly on approach, that the path it had calculated had brought me into Jupiter not "horizontally" in a long curving path within the plane of the solar system, but "vertically" sending me in a long arc above the ecliptic plane and I was "diving" down onto Jupiters north pole at an insane amount of Delta V.

Of course the early TransX was buggy and had gone tits up on me so many times I refused to use it for anything except dead recokoning and manually did the insertion burn phase so the workaround was to fire up the Orbit MFD and burn manually until ECC is close to zero. So I whipped the ship around to ass end to jupiter and lit the rockets and by some inexplicable act of fate managed to come to a perfect polar orbit of Jupiter.

I can't count the number of times early implementations of what are now wonderfully stable and feature filled MFD's went tits up on me I was forced to cut into manual mode and seat of the pants fly an insertion burn while puckering as I skim the atmosphere of some gas giant in the outer solar system.

Good Stuff, glad to have experienced it all these years and hope to have many more. When it comes to Space, nothing beats Orbiter.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi there, welcome back to the community! :welcome:

Although we've gone through a few forums from the last time you were here, there are still some people around from back in the day. I didn't discover Orbiter until 2005, but I know we have several members who were involved with it much earlier than that.

Dan Steph's DGIV is without a doubt my favorite vehicle. The detail is just stunning and I can't believe that all these talented people put in so many hours of work to create all these wonderful addons that have kept me entertained for over a decade now.

Indeed Dan has done some wonderful work both on his DG-IV and the newer UCGO. Have you tried the XR fleet yet, more specifically the XR2? I've come to love it more than the DG-IV as the vehicle systems make it a true "pilots" craft. Feel free to check out other recommended addons as well.

Welcome back and happy orbiting!

Nistenf

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Do you happen to have the first version of Orbiter still in your computer?

Last edited:

Nistenf

Reaction score
I know about that page, but on a recent thread about the earlier versions is was said that noone appears to have the first one (the one in Orbit hangar isn't) so maybe the OP has it since he discovered Orbiter very early!