Question OGLA source code?

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the big idea behind OGLA was writing a free (as in speech) graphics module for Orbiter. If I'm right about that, it would seem logical that I'd be able to find the source code somewhere, but sadly, I can't.

Also, assuming OGLA is free software, what sort of license will it have? (L)GPL? BSD? MIT/X11?

Edit: Whoops, never mind about the first part, I found the source. But the license question still stands.

Edit 2: Actually I only found and old version of the source code (http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/oglaclient_src_090115.zip). Where can I find the current version?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The sources are available upon request for the time being, since the thing is not even remotely ready.

Current ones here:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/oglaclient_src_090801.zip
Work with previous beta, haven't tried the latest one yet.

License - most likely GPL, i'm not too good with legal stuff.
Basically - no guarantees, use wherever you want, don't claim as your own, don't make money from it - kind of license.

iceman2000mv

Reaction score
Good day Artlav,
First of all i want to say that you are the best at making orbiter a better space sim. I love your work.
Second, i really enjoy orbiter with ogla client. It gives me huge FPS and i love the textures and speed of terrain generation. Only one problem though. I can't do anything with it except cruise, take-off and land on planets due to the lack of mfd's. I can't select all the mfd's and the one i can like Orbit MFD is useless if i can't select a reference. The Surface MFD looks like a bomb droped on it and so on.
So i beg you, please do a patch or something else for this problem because i want to travel to the planets but for now i can't see where i'm going if you get me.

Attachments

• black box in center for ref.JPG
    black box in center for ref.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 21
  • buttons not shown or not working.JPG
    buttons not shown or not working.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 20
  • hidden mfd's.JPG
    hidden mfd's.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 13

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
License - most likely GPL, i'm not too good with legal stuff.
Basically - no guarantees, use wherever you want, don't claim as your own, don't make money from it - kind of license.
For that LGPL v3 or BSD-like licenses are the best. Because Orbiter is closed-source, I'm 99% sure you can't use GPL.

Or you could use http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/WTFPL (recommended :lol:).

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
You are using a Beta of Orbiter and Artlav stated many times that OGLA is work in progress and not nearly finished. And all the problems that you report have been reported before.

Because Orbiter is closed-source, I'm 99% sure you can't use GPL.
If it were the other way around, you would be right. But this is simply not true. If it was there would be no programs for windows under GPL either.
The basic rule of thumb is: If it uses GPL software/code, it has to be GPL as well.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If it were the other way around, you would be right. But this is simply not true. If it was there would be no programs for windows under GPL either.
The basic rule of thumb is: If it uses GPL software/code, it has to be GPL as well.
True. GPL restrictions only apply the other way around.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

While there is some similarity between (windows + GPL app) and (Orbiter + GPL add-on), the way how the GPL works out is probably different. Some people explained to me that the limit of GPL is whether something is linked to it or not. In the case of add-ons, they are clearly linked to the Orbiter process at run-time. See this page:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF
(Look under the question: "Can I apply the GPL when writing a plug-in for a non-free program?")

So, the short answer is: no.
You can not use the GPL for Orbiter plugins. You can use the LGPL, or you can use the GPL by adding an exception for the Orbiter API interface.

When you browse through open source Orbiter add-ons, you'll see that many of them are LGPL licensed.