OFMM General Discussions

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you where at all or anything against you, I guess 'stubborn' (for me) could be a better word

Does this certain member start with a 'B'? :p
I feel insulted that you think I'm so easily insulted. :j/k:
Nah, if anyone's crabby it's the Crab. :rofl:

Okay, I'm out of lame jokes now. I should go to bed before I make a fool of myself. :goodnight:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:lol: I'm pretty crabby, and I say...
Dunno, I guess sometime in the future after the next Orbiter build is expected to come, flying this in the past just seems weird. Flying in a semi-unrealistic future may be hard to grasp, but at least it's the future. You gotta believe!
Bonus if you get that reference.

Columbia42

Reaction score
I think we should launch in 2003. The optimal distance between Earth and Mars makes up for the lack of realism. Unfortunately I am taking a two week leave of absense from the forum (family vacation) so I may not be around to see the fruition of this amazing endeavour. (So if you happen to launch any kind of mission, remember to make lots of in-flight movies!)

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Okay, considering there have been no posts here for a few hours, can nobody else find problems? All we need now is the ships to be modeled, a launch date picked, roles to be assigned, a landing site, and I think we are good to go.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Okay, considering there have been no posts here for a few hours, can nobody else find problems? All we need now is the ships to be modeled, a launch date picked, roles to be assigned, a landing site, and I think we are good to go.
That's a lot of things you mentioned to say "All we need." :lol:
Anyway I think you're right, but don't take my word for it.
So if you happen to launch any kind of mission, remember to make lots of in-flight movies!
Will do! And pictures!

I'm still crabby about not using the STS. I actually AM crabby today so excuse my crabbyness, and hear me out.
This is a forum mission, so why are we doing it like it belongs to NASA? NASA isn't where I put my faith in spaceflight. This is a far-out mission, so why don't we use a far-out launch vehicle?
I dunno, I just think it would be more interesting with the XR2 and XL-70, which are both unique to the Orbiter community. IMHO, they would make a better conbi with the future-ish-tic vehicles we're developing.

Up to you guys. No matter what, this mission is going to steal fire.:cheers:

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I agree that the xr's would be pretty cool, but we ruled them out because we wanted realism (which we have a little too much of). At this point, I think its too late to change course and include them. I think right now it is imperative that we get developing, and get a set launch mission, before school starts again. If we haven't got anything concrete by then, people will lose interest, and OFMM will be dead in the water. We can't wait too much longer! (ok my rant about the apocolypse is done)

I caught the Prometheus reference there, by the way.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Alright, I hear you with time constraints. What I was saying is that THIS XR2 is realistic enough, but that's all good. You should know, I just love the XR2. :thumbup:

Also, another wallpaper-thing. Pretty great timing on this one, I only finished it this (UTC-05:00) morning, before I realised it might not be inaccurate after all. (besides Wideawake.) And now it is again. :lol:

attachment.php

Kind of inspired by this picture by Ame Tani, the idea being that the launch was scrubbed due to a tropical storm (or something) from the west. But being the captain, or, more acccurately, Kyaputen, Kapt. Murasa was all like, "I'll show you who's scrubbed!" and took off with the last launch to deliver the crew.

Probably she and her co-pilot (Shou?) were reprimanded when they got back in the XL-70, I guess there was some cockpit drama too.
But then (!) it turns out the Captain intuitively knew that they needed to launch on that moment, maybe the runway is destroyed by the storm or something. Or maybe she ditched!

Either that, or she was in the XR2; the Pilot switched, and the Captain went to Mars JUST on time to escape the storm. And maybe the pilot ditched! XD

Yeah, I'm probably mad, getting that story from that image. I was going to put it in, but it looked better without so I scrubbed it. :dry:
Good luck to you guys and hope we won't have any storms!

Being the Project Manager of Luck, I will hang a Teruteru Bouzu and uh, flush an ice cube down the toilet in the southern hemisphere! :hail::probe:

Attachments

• ofmmkyaputen03.jpg
    ofmmkyaputen03.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 316

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wideawake would be an awesome launch site, though...:hmm:
It is very high-quality, and also unique to the forum. If we're doing this before 2030, a developed Ascension is plausible for the crew launches.

Oh, I'm doing it again. Sorry!

Also, I'm seriously trying to get the ice cube flushed. I know people. ;)

And KYAPUTEN Murasa got the Medal of Duty. Er, was it the Call of Honour... :lol:

Salun

Das Bluejay El DESTROY YOU ALL
Reaction score
I vote Home base be Wideawake

164g2d.jpg

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wasn't calling a vote, I was just daydreaming...at 1 AM...

But if a vote there is, I'd say Ascension, too. :cheers:

Spaceman379

Reaction score
alright i have a quick question is this mission going to be performed with a multiplayer version of orbiter or something like that im just wondering im am really excited about this mission even though im am very new to it :)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
alright i have a quick question is this mission going to be performed with a multiplayer version of orbiter or something like that im just wondering im am really excited about this mission even though im am very new to it :)
This has been discussed several times, though I don't expect any newbie to actually read the 39-page archive...I'm afraid to go back there myself. :lol:

No, we're not. There aren't currently any reliable multiplayer platforms, and it would be far too much of a hassle to get it working on everyone's computer, organise a session and get us all on the same server.

The current method will be similar to OFSS's system. We'll hand around scenario files of the current mission status, and let each player do his predetermined part (which have yet to be determined.)
Welcome to OFMM! :thumbup:

Spaceman379

Reaction score
That makes sense i have been working on orbiter as much as i can to prepare for the mission

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Why is the timer counting up- there is a deadline people!

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Why is the timer counting up- there is a deadline people!

That was the result of some crazy illusion that I thought people where actually interested in this project. It was the kickoff for the beginning of the development. It looks as if the 99% of the people here didn't give a :censored: about being even (1 * 10^-30)% realistic.

Sorry but if people want a OFMM :realistic version and OFMM :theoretical version then fine, we can do that, the 2-4 devs can continute with the OFMM :realistic version and the rest can start with OFMM :theoretical version. If that's what you want we can do both...

As it seems we have a Dev:void situation, I figured this would be the time to put my skills to use.

Well, now OFMM has its own Propaganda! :thumbup:
Based on the famous Lord Kitchener recruitment poster from WWI:

Now, if only we had somewhere to stick these... :hmm:
I'll try a sig version, but the sig size is limited...

hahah nice :cheers:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That was the result of some crazy illusion that I thought people where actually interested in this project. It was the kickoff for the beginning of the development. It looks as if the 99% of the people here didn't give a :censored: about being even (1 * 10^-30)% realistic.

Sorry but if people want a OFMM :realistic version and OFMM :theoretical version then fine, we can do that, the 2-4 devs can continute with the OFMM :realistic version and the rest can start with OFMM :theoretical version. If that's what you want we can do both...

Well, as Fireballs said back in the thread there, aren't we good to begin some vehicles development? The SkyCrane, for one, has been going on since before the timer started.
It's OK if some phases overlap, am I right? I'm not a programmer at all, but as to the development methodology of OFMM as a whole, Urwumpe's waterslide model is still in progress. As the Great Doctor has proved, it only takes one to accomplish anything. So I think we can make the transition right now. What says you guys?

Oh, and as for me, sorry for holding up the crew launch plans. That's good now, right? :)
I'm in full support and I'll continue to follow with what I can do: textures, promotional art/propaganda, wallpapers, and good luck. :thumbup:
Consider me Manager of Luck/Minor Graphics Staff.
:hail::probe:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Well, as Fireballs said back in the thread there, aren't we good to begin some vehicles development? The SkyCrane, for one, has been going on since before the timer started.
It's OK if some phases overlap, am I right? I'm not a programmer at all, but as to the development methodology of OFMM as a whole, Urwumpe's waterslide model is still in progress. As the Great Doctor has proved, it only takes one to accomplish anything. So I think we can make the transition right now. What says you guys?

What, do you mean... start developing?

Yes that is the whole point of the dev signup thread. ;)

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=17037

Oh, and as for me, sorry for holding up the crew launch plans. That's good now, right? :)

its alright, we have a ways to go before we start launching.. at this rate, we will be done about the same time NASA lands on Mars/Moon :)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
its alright, we have a ways to go before we start launching.. at this rate, we will be done about the same time NASA lands on Mars/Moon :)
You can say that again. I may as well start learning C++ now, I may be of some use before we get off the ground! :lol: