Software NVidia DDS reader with Elements or PPP?

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten NVidia's DDS texture tools to work with either Photoshop Elements 8 or Corel Paint Photo Pro X3? If so, could you explain how you did it? I had earlier versions of both Photoshop and Paintshop on my old computer but on this one I have Elements and PPP and I can't get the reader/converter tools to work at all on either of them. Would like to be creating some new skins but I can't read/write dds right now and I'm quite frustrated. Thanks for any help!

(Edit: I'm on 64 bit Windows 7.)

Last edited:

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have it working with Photoshop Elements 8.0. It should not take anything other then installing it for it to work, I have done nothing special.

I downloaded the tools from here: Nvidia Tools

You may try an un/re-install of the tools.

Good luck.

This is on Win 8.1, but it was also working on Win 7 for me.

Last edited:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did you tell it to install to the Elements root folder, or to the Plugins subfolder?

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did you tell it to install to the Elements root folder, or to the Plugins subfolder?

Install it to the Elements program folder, usually something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 8.0

I just uninstalled and walked through the process again to double check.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Weird. I've done that several times, and Photoshop won't recognize the plugin. Neither will Corel. :(

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm.

I would look in the 'Add or Remove Programs' and see if 'Nvidia Photoshop Plug-ins' is installed. It should be version 8.50.

Do you have multiple installations of Photoshop?

In this folder: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 8.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats' you should see the dds.8bi file.

It seems the installation may be confused and is not dropping the files in the correct place, or Photoshop is not running from the same installation where the plug in is being dropped.

I'm also assuming Corel and Photoshop don't conflict someway, I have never run them together.