New Orbiter Beta Released (r.44, Dec 5 2015)

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Martins, the elevation and texture data compress pretty nicely (~50%). Would you consider loading the data by decompressing them from zip files on the fly? I could give you some working code for doing this, if you like (Boost based).
Here it is. Notice that since the actual operation is encapsulated in a function, the Boost headers are not used directly, hence won't be reincluded in your files, thus not slowing down the incremental compilation.

PHP:
#include <istream>
#include <string>

class Zipping
{
    public:
        void UnzipFile(const std::string & zipFileName, std::stringstream & sstrOut) const;

protected:
    private:
};

PHP:
#include "Zipping.hpp"

#include <fstream>
#include <sstream>

#include <boost/iostreams/filtering_streambuf.hpp>
#include <boost/iostreams/copy.hpp>
#include <boost/iostreams/filter/zlib.hpp>
#include <boost/iostreams/filter/gzip.hpp>

void Zipping::UnzipFile(const std::string & zipFileName, std::stringstream & sstrOut) const
{
    namespace bio = boost::iostreams;
    std::ifstream file(zipFileName, std::ios_base::binary);
    bio::filtering_streambuf<bio::input> in;
    in.push(bio::zlib_decompressor());    // Windows
    //in.push(bio::gzip_decompressor());      // Linux
    in.push(file);
    bio::copy(in, sstrOut);
}
However, boost docs inform that:
Boost said:
The zlib Filters depend on the third-party zlib library, which is not included in the Boost distribution. Prebuilt zlib binaries are available on most UNIX and UNIX-like systems, and will be found automatically by the Boost build system. Windows users can obtain prebuilt binaries at the zlib homepage. Users can also configure the Boost Iostream library to build zlib from the source code, which is available at the zlib homepage.

Last edited:

fort

Reaction score
Hello doctor,

Thank you again for this release.

A key - if any remain - in keymap in cfg to keep the ability to zoom the 2d panel of the deltaglider ?

Thank you for this little restoration of the Dragonfly ( and to the author, Radu Poenaru) even if it has lost in recent years some functionality (radar ? or stowage/docking containers ?)

Thank you and good day.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Martins, the elevation and texture data compress pretty nicely (~50%). Would you consider loading the data by decompressing them from zip files on the fly?
I'm not sure if it's obvious, but I didn't mean decompressing the whole 100 GB archive in a single Orbiter session. I meant having every single data file stored in a separate zip file, and uncompressing them on demand. Notice that such an operation will slow down the loading times a little bit (my own experiments show ~30% slowdown), but will save disk cache, since less data needs to be loaded from this medium (not to mention the obvious benefit of saved space). Also, since the decompression becomes the bottleneck, not the hard drive loading, the decompression can be offset to yet another CPU core, and the data may be stored in a seperate medium, like a USB-connected drive, or a NAS. If a Gigabyte network is used, then this could be an option.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Martins, the elevation and texture data compress pretty nicely (~50%). Would you consider loading the data by decompressing them from zip files on the fly?
I'm not sure if it's obvious, but I didn't mean decompressing the whole 100 GB archive in a single Orbiter session. I meant having every single data file stored in a separate zip file
There has been a project of fast seeking and decompressing requested files from a RAR archive, but containing all the related files (e.g. Earth textures and elevation in single archive) and not only a single texture tile (RAR format was chosen because seeking and decompressing from 7-zip archives [LZMA/LZMA2] was significantly slower, but RAR still provided a better compression ratio than ZIP [Deflate]). However the last time it was mentioned of being planned integrating with Orbiter core around a year ago, so I don't know what is the current status of it.

But yes, it was considered and there has been a working demo implementing decompression of textures on the fly.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
1: too generic. Can you be more precise?
2: you can, but how will you be able to download the next revisions?

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
So, my landers, (I.E. Altair, Pheonix lunar lander, and the Boeing lander on the Mars Transfer Vehicle thread), after accelerating the time to 10x or 100x, start to slowly move, and eventually they rotate 180 degrees, top down. This also happens on Earth when I land in the water: Orion lands, then flips upside down. Very annoying.

Also, the computer I am using for Orbiter 15 is rent right now, and I already used Tortoise to get Orbiter 15 on. I was just wondering how to get it off when it is time to give the computer back.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
So, my landers, (I.E. Altair, Pheonix lunar lander, and the Boeing lander on the Mars Transfer Vehicle thread), after accelerating the time to 10x or 100x, start to slowly move, and eventually they rotate 180 degrees, top down.

I'm guessing that you are running into the same issue being discussed here in the compatibility thread. TL/DR is that the VESSELSTATUS "*.state == IDLE" flag is not getting properly set after landing.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
It's an open Bug-Report. but on the topic of touchdown points I have a few questions...

1. Does the "Convex Hull" absolutely have to be convex? IE what happens if I have vertices representing the belly of a plane "inside" ie closer to the CoG than vertices representing the landing gear?
  2. What would be the best/most efficient way to redefine TOUCHDOWNVTX on the fly to account for things like changes in configuration or shifting CoG?
  3. Likewise could we get a bit more info on what the stiffness damping and mu values actually do? What units are they in/how do the translate into rl measurements?

Edit:
To answer one of my own questions. I've found that the new ShuttleA updates it's convex hull dynamically in clbkPostStep. For any other add-on devs looking to do variable touch down points in the new beta that's where you ought to look.

Last edited:

ggrof

Reaction score
I have downloaded the entire Earth Hi res textures pack and I am about 3 hours in Winrar uncompressing the files. Is everything okay?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Depending on your cpu and disk speeds, this can indeed be a realistic time to unpack those monsters.

T1234

Reaction score
What version of d3d9 do I use, rev 8 beta dous not cause ctd but causes the hud graphics to tear, tried using outher versions but causes ctd on loading.Is there yet a stable version for the latest beta(r44)?