New Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
You may think that that all you like.

Actually, I know that. A chunk of ice, rock, and various other types of space debris does not have prophetic supernatural powers. Any negative event that would coincide with a cometary pass would be purely coincidental.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any negative event that would coincide with a cometary pass would be purely coincidental.

Comets are usually a bad omen when you crash into you. :p

I would imagine that some negative outcomes could result from people sticking their heads out of cars and whatnot to look at comets, but that has less to do with comets than it does with people being inattentive and distracted.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Actually, I know that. A chunk of ice, rock, and various other types of space debris does not have prophetic supernatural powers. Any negative event that would coincide with a cometary pass would be purely coincidental.

Tsk tsk Codz. You are leaving out the human element. All it takes is people believing that something bad will happen to make it so.

I'm not talking natural disasters, but people go bonky when the sky gets weird, and they do weird things themselves.

Remember this?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
That's fine, but that is entirely due to human actions and reactions. Comets are still not the cause. Superstitious idiots are.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If this is true (even if it's not brighter than the Moon), then I'm quite looking forward to this. It should be great to see through my telescope! I remember seeing Hale-Bopp in '97, and a fainter one not too long before that.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hope this is cool.

I remember getting all excited when Halley's Comet swung around, as it is the most famous comet and it's period means few people get to see it more than once in a lifetime...and then of course, the sky was overcast, which is just my luck.

Must have been the comet's fault my luck was off...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I agree.

I also don't think Keatah was implying causality.

I also agree, but even if he was, that's his prerogative to believe what he wants. Some people I know believe that on days when Mars is in 'retrograde' in the sky, things involving technology will have more issues than on other days. I think their beliefs are unfounded and ridiculous, but recently I've adopted the 'live and let live' attitude. As a man of both science and faith, I've had to find some sort of balance between the two, otherwise I'll drive myself and those around me mad ;)

Heck, if this is legit, I'd love to see it. But one thing I did want to point out, it says the comet will allegedly be brighter than the moon, not larger. Not like it will be a large object in the sky looming over us, dispensing its bad karma on the unsuspecting...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASAexplorer:

NASA: NASA's Swift Sizes Up Comet ISON

Click on image to enlarge​
From now through October, comet ISON tracks through the constellations Gemini, Cancer and Leo as it falls toward the sun.
Credit: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center/Axel Mellinger​

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Eh, well you guys got Comet Lovejoy. It's been a while since the Northern Hemisphere has gotten any interesting comets.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Hubble Site - ISONblog: ISON Q&A: Sept. 23, 2013

ESA: Preparing for Comet ISON

NASA/JPL - Mars Exploration Program - Martian Diaries: All Eyes on ISON

Universe Today: Comet ISON: A Viewing Guide from Now to Perihelion

CometISONNucleusCropChumackHRweb.jpg

Comet ISON, as seen on September 22, 2013 at 10:00 UTC (6:00 am EDT) from Yellow Springs, Ohio, using a QHY8 CCD camera and a home-made 16 inch diameter telescope. 15 minute exposure. Credit and copyright: John Chumack.​

Phys.org: Preparing for comet ISON

Sky & Telescope:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Yd-TiNiyU"]ScienceCasts: Amateur Astonomers See Comet ISON Approaching the Sun - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7-zqRU3tRQ"]Will Comet ISON Break Up? - YouTube[/ame]

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
There should be more comets for Orbiter. Don't' know about realistic representation, but I'd be happy with having something at the right place, with the right size, etc. Perhaps in future Orbiter versions...

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
There should be more comets for Orbiter. Don't' know about realistic representation, but I'd be happy with having something at the right place, with the right size, etc. Perhaps in future Orbiter versions...

Making that should be a pretty easy task for those who can make asteroid addons. Even if you can't, you can still use a generic asteroid and copy the orbital elements of ISON into Orbiter to track its progress.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Universe Today: Comet ISON Goes Green

Click to enlarge.

Comet ISON, photographed with a 3-inch (80mm) telescope this morning Sept. 28 shows a circular green coma and head. A short dust tail points to the northwest.
Credit: Michael Jaeger

c2012_s1_2013_09_24rgb.jpg

Another great photo of the “greening” of Comet ISON taken on Sept. 24 with a 17-inch (43-cm) telescope.
Credit: Damian Peach

And as an extra :p:
halley-newspaper-clip-475x580.jpg

Sounds like a plan. Newspaper clipping from 1910.​

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. Newspaper clipping from 1910.

Their reasoning is perfectly logical ! :yes:

Huh what did they drank before writing ? :lol: :cheers: