O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey all! Hope you guys are doing well. :hello:

Just wanted to share a video of my aquarium I have setup after 6 years. Hurricane Ike which flooded my home back in 2008 caused me to tear the tank down and it has been sitting in storage since. Finally today I have it up and running stocked full of fish (after a month long cycle process with no fish)! This is their second day in the tank and their first feeding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnp_wS1JtJQ

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
That has got to be the most relaxing video I've ever seen. :)

Out of curiosity, why the month long "empty" cycle?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I think that was about getting the balances just right in the water before adding delicate fish to it.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Cheers!

I was referring to a "fishless" cycle, which is one option when setting up a new aquarium. All fish tanks must complete the nitrogen cycle in order to establish a functioning eco-system with beneficial bacteria that are capable of handling the waist produced by fish. The bacteria convert harmful toxins like ammonia and nitrite into less harmful nitrate, which I then keep in check with regular water changes. Historically you would use fish to cycle the tank, but it exposes them to the harmful ammonia and nitrite during the process. Fishless cycling refers to using something like pure ammonia and manually dosing the tank with it to start the cycle. This allows you to complete the entire cycle without harming the fish and then you can fully stock the tank all at once verses adding a few fish every week or two.

If you're interested, this is a good read about that process.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cycling.php

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Beautiful video Tex!

Reminds me of all the 'aquarium watching' I did as a kid.

True to form; no matter the subject, if you make a film about it, it will be captivating! :tiphat: