NASSP and a real AGC

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess our main contribution to this project is our scenario files, which have the state of the erasable memory of the AGC saved. Works well with the Virtual AGC, works well with the simulated FPGA AGC that Mike (thewonderidiot) build and seems to also work with an actual AGC. Having been able to use the flown AGC software in NASSP for years now really pays off! And me never deleting old scenarios, too. :lol:

Graham2001

Reaction score
Congratulations to all involved. I've heard that as part of the tour they plan to download surviving Apollo core rope modules (If it can be done.) in the hope of unravelling the evolution of the AGC software for both the LM and CM.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Congratulations to all involved. I've heard that as part of the tour they plan to download surviving Apollo core rope modules (If it can be done.) in the hope of unravelling the evolution of the AGC software for both the LM and CM.

They already got Retread 50:
:hailprobe:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I really hope this project leads to some more AGC software versions becoming available. Out of entirely selfish reasons of course, so that we can run it in NASSP. My favourite version to find would be Skylark 48, the CMC version used on the Skylab and ASTP missions. They will be demonstrating the AGC to a bunch of people who might have the connections to make that a reality, so fingers crossed.

Graham2001

Reaction score
Yeah, I really hope this project leads to some more AGC software versions becoming available. Out of entirely selfish reasons of course, so that we can run it in NASSP. My favourite version to find would be Skylark 48, the CMC version used on the Skylab and ASTP missions. They will be demonstrating the AGC to a bunch of people who might have the connections to make that a reality, so fingers crossed.

Seconded, while the chance is remote to impossible the possibility of recovering development branches like 'Diana' and 'Amelia' has to be taken, but I'd settle with seeing the code for the Skylab/ASTP missions.

I must remember to dig through my collection of files from the NTRS and see if there's anything related to guidance or the AGC amongst them.

dseagrav

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I feel like I just got an early Christmas present!

dkluempers

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.kluempers.org
I just saw this. I have been following their videos and this was just incredible. All Hail AGC :)

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

My wife came home and like an excited 13 year old I explained to her that that they got a real ACG integrated into Orbiter NASSP and did the Apollo 11 landing with it. She just looked at me and rolled her eyes. :)

Cavalier

Reaction score
Well, color me even more impressed with this simulation then I was already. The fidelity is outstanding, as is the attention to detail.

While I'm here, let me ask a potentially noobish question or 2. I've been learning this sim by reverse engineering the checklists, consulting flight plans and every other doc I can get my hands on, and the videos I can find, but I have a fundamental block, as it were. In the early docs, the AGC was described as a simplified version of the AGC emulator, but those docs are obsolete. So, in order to have the best idea what to key in and expect back, what is the sim running now? Is it still AGC lite, or is it now using one of the versions that are available? If so, which version is it, or does each mission use the emulator closest to that flight?

Also, if this hasn't already been done, one of the doc searches I did landed me at NASA's Apollo 11 Journal. I saw, to my dismay, that Mike Collin's Operations Checklist was there - one page at a time. I spent an evening downloading each image, and I've put it all into one PDF file (sans cartoons), and will happily make it available here, if there is any interest.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Yeah, I really hope this project leads to some more AGC software versions becoming available. ... o that we can run it in NASSP. My favourite version to find would be Skylark 48, the CMC version used on the Skylab and ASTP missions. ...

Are you planning to add those too??? It's not even Christmas yet! (though I have been watching lunarmodule5's Apollo 8 Full Mission. Yes, I'm a binge space nerd watcher from way back, and SNA meetings just won't cure what I got.)

Looking forward to the possibility of Skylab and beyond!

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
While I'm here, let me ask a potentially noobish question or 2. I've been learning this sim by reverse engineering the checklists, consulting flight plans and every other doc I can get my hands on, and the videos I can find, but I have a fundamental block, as it were. In the early docs, the AGC was described as a simplified version of the AGC emulator, but those docs are obsolete. So, in order to have the best idea what to key in and expect back, what is the sim running now? Is it still AGC lite, or is it now using one of the versions that are available? If so, which version is it, or does each mission use the emulator closest to that flight?

The old C++ AGC was removed a year or two ago. NASSP only supports yaAGC now. As far as ropes are available all missions will use the actual software or the one closest to it.

Also, if this hasn't already been done, one of the doc searches I did landed me at NASA's Apollo 11 Journal. I saw, to my dismay, that Mike Collin's Operations Checklist was there - one page at a time. I spent an evening downloading each image, and I've put it all into one PDF file (sans cartoons), and will happily make it available here, if there is any interest.

I don't think we have that yet. We always like to add more documents to the collection!
If you sent it to me I'll forward it to Ron Burkey so he can add it to the document library on the VirtualAGC website.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, NASSP is all Virtual AGC now. I made a quick list of which software version we use for each mission right now:

MISSIONActual CMCNASSP CMCActual LGCNASSP LGCActual AGSNASSP AGSNotes
Apollo 5--Sunburst 120Sunburst 120--
Apollo 7Sundisk 282Colossus 237----Please someone find a Sundisk listing
Apollo 8Colossus 237Colossus 237----
Apollo 9Colossus 249Colossus 249Sundance 306Sundance 306ishFlight Program 3Flight Program 6Reconstructed LGC version, not necessarily exactly correct
Apollo 10Comanche 45 Rev 2Comanche 45 Rev 2Luminary 69 Rev 2Luminary 69 Rev 2Flight Program 5Flight Program 6
Apollo 11Comanche 55Comanche 55Luminary 99 Rev 1Luminary 99 Rev 1Flight Program 6Flight Program 6
Apollo 12Comanche 67Comanche 55Luminary 116Luminary 116Flight Program 6Flight Program 6C67 reconstruction in work, but far from finished
Apollo 13Comanche 72 Rev 3Comanche 55Luminary 131 Rev 1Luminary 131 Rev 1Flight Program 7Flight Program 8
Apollo 14Comanche 108Artemis 72 modifiedLuminary 178Luminary 178Flight Program 7Flight Program 8Modified A72 version for Apollo 14 launch year
Apollo 15-17Artemis 72Artemis 72Luminary 210Luminary 210Flight Program 8Flight Program 8
Skylab, ASTPSkylark 48Skylark 48----

Last edited:

Cavalier

Reaction score
Thanks for the rapid, and very comprehensive, response! The CSM-107 checklist is 38MB at 100% fidelity, and 19MB at 85%. If I understand the attachment rules here, those are still a bit too large. What is the best way to get the document to you? (edited after I probably answered my own question)

This is the flown document, so I made my copy at 100% to avoid degrading Collin's notes, but here are hosted:

100% fidelity
https://sabercathost.com/5poz/Apollo11_Checklist_CSM107.pdf

85%
https://sabercathost.com/mbYI/A11_Checklist_CMP.pdf

Last edited:

CuriousMarc

Reaction score
Well you guys sure made an amazingly exact simulation program! I am just starting to play with it now. Next thing we need is a real LM switch panel...

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space

I've emailed this to Ron and he put it up on the library.
You can find it here: http://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/links.html#Checklists

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
For anyone who has some money and doesn't know what to do with it, and wants to fly NASSP with a real AGC:

thewonderidiot

Reaction score
Thanks! 😄 I've got rope readers built up and working for both Block I and Block II, and am up to 25 modules safely dumped between them. There are a couple more particularly exciting sets of modules that I'm working on scheduling reads for (stay tuned) -- but if anybody has any leads on rope modules, please let me know!

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Thanks! 😄 I've got rope readers built up and working for both Block I and Block II, and am up to 25 modules safely dumped between them. There are a couple more particularly exciting sets of modules that I'm working on scheduling reads for (stay tuned) -- but if anybody has any leads on rope modules, please let me know!
Do the CMs in museums still have the CMC inside? If so, you could read the actual-actual-flown software (maybe they even let you inside :p).

Thanks for your work! (and the rest of the team)