My Greatiest accomplishment in Orbiter!

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Tools? Is there anything someone havn't told me here?:blink:

Big space plane 4.0 scenario generator 1.1
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3152"]Big space plane 4.0 scenario generator 1.1[/ame]
Shuttle fleet scenario generator v1.5c
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2746"]Shuttle fleet scenario generator v1.5c[/ame]
Vessel code generator 1.0
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2852"]Vessel code generator 1.0[/ame]

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm now planing a new accomplishment:
A flight to Sedna with slingshots at Venus, Jupiter and Eris.
This would be a great accomplishment for me, because I never made a slingshot before.

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
This would be a great accomplishment for me, because I never made a slingshot before.

Oh, now that sounds cool! Are you using transX or IMFD for the trip?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

BTW: here is the scenario:
It requieres:
DG-IV
DG-IV Space Shuttle skin
Aircraft Fleet
URMS
HighRes KSC

Attachments

• Sedna Mission Launch Day.scn
    10.2 KB · Views: 2

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
A while ago I managed to dock with the ISS using default Space Shuttle Atlantis, and it was for me the hardest thing to do in Orbiter :D I have only 22% of fuel left though, which may be not enough for deorbiting, but I am happy anyway :D Now I have to learn how to go to the ISS and still have enough fuel to go home :p

Spicer

Reaction score
I managed to create a polar-orbiting space station. (Think MOL) I used vandenberg as the launch and landing sight for everything. I also used delta-ii rockets to launch smaller pieces of the station.

Sockeye

Reaction score
My favourite accomplishments mostly center around rendezvous, and I think I learned the most when simulating the Apollo X mission. It became something of an obsession at the time because I figured that not landing on the Moon would be harder because most mods/addons are based on a lunar landing and I wasn't quite sure how the simulated AGCs and autopilots would handle not landing.

Anyways, that was the one where I learned the most about phasing burns and the Concentric Rendezvous Sequence, and which set me up nicely for Apollo-Skylab, Apollo-Soyuz, and Gemini VII/VIa and X missions. It was also the one where I realized that NASA presskits have things doped out pretty well if you're going by the numbers and looking for a flight plan to work (flexibly) off of.

Now, the Gemini X dual-rendezvous mission became my most recent obsession in Orbiter because I wanted to see exactly how little fuel-usage I could be successful with, my main concern being the minimization of delta-V during Terminal Phase Initiation, which dropped to ~8mps during what I call my "successful simulation". The first time, when I was using a more "direct" rendezvous, I wound up with an unacceptable ~35% fuel onboard the s/c after the first rendezvous. After working out the kinks (i.e., thinking too much) and concentrating on a "by the numbers" concentric rendezvous, I came in on a TPI tangent (that 8mps) from Constant Delta Height, and was satisfied with ~75% fuel remaining after the initial rendezvous; and after the second rendezvous and deboost, 50% remaining. Hell, fuel-usage could probably be brought down even more, but it was certainly satisfying.

One thing I really enjoy about Orbiter is perfecting a maneuver and seeing mission goals being ticked off the checklist on-time and well inside any restrictions. It's tough to find time to enjoy the view during these goal-oriented flights, but that's what joyrides and EVA are for.

See ya at splashdown, fellas! :beach:

Spicer

Reaction score
Another acomplishment

It was a late night last night. I Landed an XR-1 on the moon, using the SRB launcher. I managed to aerobrake with the XR-1, re-establish a stable orbit, then de-orbit and land.

I had only one little flub. My crew landed safely, though my airspeed was too high, and my landing gear gave out.

The most difficult part was the aerobraking. Decelerating from 11kms to around 6kms required me to have my perapsis at about 50 km. I used the XR-1's autopilot to change the pitch and raise and lower the perapsis. The temperature of the XR-1 never got into the "red" zone, either.

darian

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Besides landing Apollo on the Moon, I just docked Atlantis to ISS again but this time I returned and landed safe. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
Long ago, I once took the AMSO without any MFD's I planned and executed a trip to the moon.

Just a calculator and a excel spreadsheet. Accuracy was pretty good, the only thing that was really hard was the landing on the moon. This took about a week of planning, asking about 4 million questions on the forums, and a small mid-course correction. You can do this based on the historical records, however the challenge is to plan your mission based on live events.

You will have a great time figuring out a mid-course correction but that is doable using just star sightings.

JPL has a small program called Horizons, that gets real time elements that you can plan your trip.

RokGeetar

Reaction score
I have built a large space station, the ISTAR (International Space Technology & Astronautics Research station) using stock Atlantis and DG-Ex. I am in the process of completing a second station, the CSS (Cherokee Space Station) using only the DG-Ex. The cool thing is that the two stations are in the same plane and roughly 5km difference in altitude, so waiting for them to close up for a short ship transfer from one to the other is great fun! The challenge is timing launch so that on orbit station building is done just before the transfer - saving a long wait!

Kveldulf

Reaction score
I just had my greatest accomplishment last night. I flew from the Earth to the moon, but was then able to de-orbit, and land on pad 3 of Brighton Beach in the DG-IV. The actual landing took me about 2-3 hours because I was constantly flying over the base at around 1000 m/s at 5km high

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
My greatest achievement would have to be a night docking with the ISS using the XR5. Or constructing the UNSS space station (which is gone now :( )

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For me, I'd say my greatest accomplishment so far actually happened early in my Orbiter experience. I think the crowning moment was when I launched the stock DG into LEO, then used transX to get to Mars, successfully executed MOI and landed at Olympus base. Just the thrill of seeng Mars as I approached prior to orbit insertion was more than enough.

Although I can't seem to wrap my head around how to make the return trip with transX (though I haven't tried since the advent of the DGIV and since becoming familiar with IMFD).

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Now that I'm able to use IMFD I'll begin with my new greatest accomplishment. (see above, #27)

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Just yesterday(and I'll finish today) I flew from Earth to Venus in my first interplanetary flight. I think this is probably my greatest accomplishment.
It was the DGIV scenario "Venus Weather" by the way.