Multiple satellites on same track observed

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Heey everyone!

it's been a while!

Tonight, I made an interesting observation. When I stepped outside the door to take out some trash a looked up into the beautiful clear dusk/night sky here in southwestern Germany just half an hour ago at around 9 p.m. local time (UTC + 2hrs).
I accidentally spotted the ISS approaching from the west/southwest when moments after I looked up vertically and spotted a faint satellite, about the magnitude of current Beutelgeuze star, tracking from South to North. I then spotted another satellite, same brightness about 10 to 15 degrees behind on the same track. Then I recognized another one following the second one, same parameters. I was quite surprised but it would get even better. I looked back to the first of those slowly losing sight of it while it continued to the North, I looked back to the second and third one, only to spot a fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth ones following the others. I lost count of the total but it might have been 10 alltogether.

Wow, I have never seen this before. It was quite eerie. Does anybody know if these are research satellites or perhaps military ones?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Starlink, maybe?

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I looked up info on Starlink and it might be very well possible, yes. Thank you Artlav! Didn't know about that project.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I saw this several years ago, during a lunar eclipse :blink:
(best video I could find, disregard any UFO talk)

These were the NOSS naval spy sats. I think there are no more of these trios, only some duos, which although impressive they don't have the same WOW factor.