Question Modifying the CVEL Titan SSTO for Mars

perludus

Reaction score
I'm playing around with some Mars scenarios, and wanted to try launching the CVEL Titan SSTO from Mars, specifically wondering how much the weight of the probe (payload) could be and still get into orbit from Mars.

My first attempt (just take existing scenario, move ship to Olympus) ends up basically taking me completely out of orbit. Rather spectacular, but not exactly the orbit I wanted.

Any advice on how to modify the SCN file to get this to happen? How to get that overpowered lifter to just not be so... powerful?

As a scenario, suppose I wanted to launch a Gemini Titan II into orbit to rendezvous with Phobos. Phobos has a semi-major axis of 9,377 km and orbital inclination of 0.015. And here is the SCN file for the CVL Titan SSTO (assume I modified the MFD to "REF Mars").

Code:
BEGIN_SHIPS
TitanSSTO:CVELTitanII
  STATUS Landed Earth
  BASE Cape Canaveral:9
  HEADING 0.00
  TGT_HEADING 90.0
  FUEL 1.000
  CONFIGURATION 1
  SECOND STAGE 0
  UPPER STAGE 0
  AUTO LEO 1
  SHIFTFOCUS 0
  PADBIAS 0.0
  FAIRING 300
  FAIRLOC -12.05
  PAYLOAD probe1 probe probe 0 0 -14.95 300 0 1
END
END_SHIPS

I am (as an Orbiter n00b), just not sure what to put in there to get the autopilot to fly me to the right orbit. Forget timing my launch to rendezvous, etc. - I just want to get into the right general orbital altitude (via the Autopilot).

alagreca

Reaction score
Website
home.myspace.com
Don't think so.

Ok, I bit but I don't think it can be done. No matter how high you set the weight of the probe, the autopilot pitch program is calibrated for Earth and will not pitch over until an un manageable amount of verticile speed is reached.
try this:

BEGIN_DESC
Some think flying to LEO in a single stage requires hyper-advanced materials or propulsion. Not true! Here's a single-stage rocket, built

in 1960....
Of no practical utility, but it's a neat hack. And I needed it to test the code anyway.
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
System Sol
Date MJD 51982.6167479746
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
Ship TitanSSTO
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
TARGET TitanSSTO
MODE Extern
POS 2.89 -0.51 -82.42
TRACKMODE TargetRelative
FOV 50.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
TYPE Surface
END_HUD

BEGIN_MFD Left
TYPE Surface
END_MFD

BEGIN_MFD Right
TYPE Orbit
PROJ Ship
REF Mars
END_MFD

BEGIN_SHIPS
TitanSSTO:CVELTitanII
STATUS Landed Mars
BASE Olympus:1
HEADING 0.00
TGT_HEADING 90.0
FUEL 1.000
CONFIGURATION 1
SECOND STAGE 0
UPPER STAGE 0
AUTO LEO 1
SHIFTFOCUS 0
PADBIAS 0.0
FAIRING 300
FAIRLOC -12.05
PAYLOAD probe1 probe probe 0 0 -14.95 91300 0 1
END
END_SHIPS

You won't even reach orbit, but still no pitchover.