Minecraft 101 - Not getting lost

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
This one is fairly obvious, but some people may not think of it, so I put it up here.

Whenever I explore a cave (or dig out mining shafts) I always put my torches on the right wall. This way I can easily find the exit by keeping the torches to my left. If exits are not easily seen, I usually put 3-4 torches on the ground to mark the exits.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Doesn't work quite so well with large mineshafts with multiple levels and double-backs...

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Well it certainly depends on how you layout your mine shafts. Personally I only mine on level 12 with a simple layout (a main branch where sub shafts are dug in perpendicular). But generally the risk of getting lost in your mine is much less than in a cave.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I just use signs. Whenever I branch off a mine I whack a sign up.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Usually I don't use signs because I find them impractical: I don't carry them around as they are not stackable and eat up inventory space and while I'm mining I don't like to bother with crafting them up specifically. However, at some point I sometimes decide to make my mine fancy and slap up signs everywhere; every mineshaft gets numbered and/or named and exits are marked everywhere.

Also I sometimes use signs to point to points of interests like lava lakes, slime locations or dungeon spawners.

Shinrar

Reaction score
In single player (I don't have the resources yet in our Multiplayer server to do it), I just throw down torches when I go cave diving... And when I come up to a branch, I carry a stack of Redstone torches as well, and set a normal torch and a redstone torch adjacent to each other. The red points to the exit. =) If it is a hidden exit, I'll stick a redstone torch over it to flag it (and surround it by normal torches too).

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So far I only got lost once when lighting a huge cave near my giant mob spawn farm. The place was so big I used 20 stacks of torches to light it up. I ended up digging my way out........

The only Minecraft 101 I'd do is:
www.minecraftwiki.net
You'll find anything and everything from "keep your torches on the right wall" to "wheat requires light level of 9 or higher ABOVE it" there.