Request Mars Science Laboratory (Curiosity) addon??

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
The Mars Exploration Rovers (Spirit and Opportunity) have their own Orbiter addons uploaded into the Hangar for some time (Made for 2010, but I think it can also work in 2016 since it is SC3/4 based). The Pathfinder and Sojourner has a beta version loaded somewhere in the Forum too

I've been wondering...is there any Curiosity rover addon in development in any form, 2010 or 2016?

Thanks in advance

barrygolden

Reaction score
there has been a Curiosity rover done as well as some of the early exploration sites but it was not released to the orbiter addons. they had done some work with the landing and deployment and the arm. all that needs more fine tuning and new exploration sites to explore but was told it couldn't climb so that sort of ended it. I thought a newer mess could be made high on the slope on Mount Sharp and then another one higher up. this was for 2010.
I hope the 2020 rover is done and working with the landing zone for 2016. I think most of it is done

Jeremyxxx

Reaction score
Gattispilot has developed the Curiosity Rover addon since Orbiter 2010, But he's currently on vacation for a while.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have the mesh of the rover ready and animated, I converted it from the blender models from Nasa websites. It looks actually quite good, see picture below. I can share it if needed.

MSL_Mesh.png

I have in my pipeline to make the full addon (I really look forward to the challenge of programming the EDL of curiosity) but I don't have any reference detailed drawing of the descent stage and anyway I have some projects ahead in the pipeline so it will be nothing soon to be released.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes I made one for 2010. I tried to get it to work in 2016 but moving is an issue. I made a General Vehicle version.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

I have the mesh of the rover ready and animated, I converted it from the blender models from Nasa websites. It looks actually quite good, see picture below. I can share it if needed.

MSL_Mesh.png

I have in my pipeline to make the full addon (I really look forward to the challenge of programming the EDL of curiosity) but I don't have any reference detailed drawing of the descent stage and anyway I have some projects ahead in the pipeline so it will be nothing soon to be released.
Looks good. Can we try it?

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Wow I didn't know there are already 2010 versions of the Curiosity rover addon! I wonder why I couldn't find them anywhere in the first place...haha